July 6, 1956 |
Fort Worth, Texas
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|College||Oklahoma State University|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour
Ben Hogan Tour
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships
|Masters Tournament||T16: 1978|
|U.S. Open||T54: 1977|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
|PGA Championship||T57: 1991|
|Achievements and awards|
Miller was born, raised and has lived most of his life in Fort Worth, Texas. During his teens, he won the 1973 Fort Worth Junior Golf Association Championship. Miller attended Oklahoma State University and was a distinguished member of the golf team — an All-American for all four years (1975–1978), a first-team All-American his last three years and winner of the Haskins Award in 1978. Miller's college teammates included future PGA Tour Champions David Edwards and Bob Tway. Miller and Edwards led the Cowboys to victory at the 1976 and 1978 NCAA Championships. At the 1978 Masters, Miller posted a two-under-par 286 – the lowest total for an amateur since 1961. He turned professional in 1978.
Miller played on both the PGA and Ben Hogan Tours during his regular career years. He won the 1990 Ben Hogan Amarillo Open. His best finish on the PGA Tour was second at the 1979 Tallahassee Open and his best finish in a major was a T-16 at The Masters in 1978. After retiring as a touring professional, he became director of golf at Fort Worth's Mira Vista Golf Club. In 1988, Miller played himself in the film, Dead Solid Perfect, which followed the life of a professional golfer on the PGA Tour.
At the 2007 North Texas PGA Senior Championship, Miller shot a competitive course record 63 in the final round on his way to winning the tournament.
this list is incomplete
Professional wins (7)
this list is probably incomplete
Ben Hogan Tour (1)
- 1978 Oklahoma Open
- 1986 Oklahoma Open, Northern Texas PGA Championship
- 1992 Northern Texas PGA Championship
- 2006 Northern Texas PGA Championship
Senior wins (1)
- 2007 FINA North Texas PGA Seniors' Championship
U.S. national team appearances
- Walker Cup: 1977 (winners)
- "All-Americans by Year". Oklahoma State University Athletics Department. Retrieved 2007-11-19.[dead link]
- "1970 All America Golf Teams". Golf Coaches Association of America. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- "Golf Major Championships". Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- "Miller shoots course record in final round to claim FINA NTPGA Seniors' Championship" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-11-19.[dead link]