Line 3 (Guangzhou Metro)
Platform of Tiyu Xilu
|Other name(s)||M3 (5 lines plan name)|
M6 (7 lines plan name)
M3 (2000 plan name)
Southern-Northern express line (南北快线)
Shiqiao line (市桥线)
Airport line (机场线)
|Locale||Panyu, Haizhu, Tianhe, Baiyun, and Huadu districts|
|Termini||Tiyu Xilu/Panyu Square|
Airport North (Terminal 2)/Tianhe Coach Terminal
|Daily ridership||1.765 million (May 2015 Avg.) 2.54 million (2017 Peak)|
|Opened||26 December 2005|
|Owner||City of Guangzhou|
|Operator(s)||Guangzhou Metro Corporation|
|Rolling stock||120 Siemens Mobility-CRRC Zhuzhou Locomotive Modular Metro cars|
|Line length||68.53 km (42.58 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||Overhead lines, 1,500 V DC|
Line 3 of the Guangzhou Metro is a 67.3-kilometer (41.8 mi) rapid transit line connecting Panyu Square to Tianhe Coach Terminal. The entire line, including all track and stations, is located in tunnels. Its 60.4 km (37.5 mi) main branch, excluding the 6.9 km (4.3 mi) branch between Tianhe Coach Terminal and Tiyu Xilu, is the longest continuous subway tunnel in the world, and the longest rail tunnel of any kind (surpassing the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland).
Line 3 is split into two sections, Shiqiao line (main line, from Panyu Square to Tianhe Coach Terminal) and Airport line (northern branch, Tiyu Xilu to Airport North), and are branded with the colour orange.
Line 3 was built in four main stages, opened over a five-year period:
- 26 December 2001 - Construction of Line 3 phase 1 officially commenced with an experimental section at Datang.
- 26 January 2003 - Construction work at Datang was completed and capped.
- 8 February 2003 - Tunnel boring machine beginning boring tunnels on first and third section of Line 3 phase 1.
- 18 May 2003 - Tunnel boring machine beginning boring tunnels on the second section of Line 2 at Tiyu Xilu.
- 30 May 2003 - Construction work at Shiqiao was completed and capped one year ahead of schedule. At the same time, Lijiao begin construction works.
- 3 August 2004 - Tunnel boring machine finish boring across the Pearl River.
- 9 August 2004 - Boring works was completed on Dashi to Hanxi Changlong.
- 22 October 2004 - First section of Line 3 phase 1 was completed also Gangding was completed and capped.
- 26 November 2004 - Interior works at Kecun was completed.
- 28 February 2005 - Boring works was completed on Hanxi Changlong to Shiqiao.
- 22 May 2005 - Purchase of Seltrac S40 control system from Alcatel.
- 30 July 2005 - Purchase of 99 sets of escalator from Hitachi.
- 18 November 2005 - Train set from Zhuzhou CSR Group was delivered.
- 26 December 2005 - The first section of Line 3 phase 1 enter operation.
- 6 June 2006 - Boring works was completed on Line 3 phase 1.
- 25 September 2006 - Starting operation on the second section of Line 3 phase 1 was delayed.
- 20 November 2006 - Temporarily suspension of operation on Line 3 for 40 days.
- 30 December 2006 - The second and third section of Line 3 phase 1 was completed and entire Line 3 phase 1 resumed operation with new service routes: Tianhe Coach Terminal to Panyu Square and Tiyu Xilu to Guangzhou East.
- 14 May 2007 - Original Airport Express plan was merged into Line 3 as Line 3 phase 2 with it entire length underground instead of elevated line like the original plan.
- 24 June 2008 - One additional station (current: Yongtai) were added into Line 3 phase 2.
- 8 December 2008 - Construction of Line 3 phase 2 officially commenced.
- 16 February 2009 - Tunnel boring machine beginning boring tunnels on Line 3 phase 2.
- 30 October 2010 - Line 3 phase 2 enter operation.
- 28 December 2017 - Gaozeng station added.
- 26 April 2018 - Extended from Airport South to Airport North.
|Kecun — Guangzhou East||26 December 2005||7.8 km (4.85 mi)||5||(northern section)|
|Panyu Square — Kecun||30 December 2006||19.6 km (12.18 mi)||7||(southern section)|
|Tiyu Xilu — Tianhe Coach Terminal||7.5 km (4.66 mi)||5||(spur section)|
|Airport South — Guangzhou East||30 October 2010||29.3 km (18.21 mi)||10||Northern extension|
|Gaozeng||28 December 2017||Infill station||1||Line 9 connector|
|Airport North — Airport South||26 April 2018||1.23 km (0.76 mi)||1||Airport extension|
There are 4 types of train services offered on the metro line 3:
- Tiyu Xilu — Airport North (Terminal 2)
- Panyu Square — Tianhe Coach Terminal
- Panyu Square — Airport North (Terminal 2) (Trial operation, operating from 9:30 to 16:30 on working days, morning to evening on weekend)
- Dashi ← Tonghe (southbound trains only, operating during morning peak hours on working days)
- N - Northern extension
- M - Main line
- MN - Main + Northern services (Trial operation)
- S - Short line services
|●||●||3 01||Panyu Square||番禺广场||0.00||0.00||Panyu|
|●||●||3 03||Hanxi Changlong||汉溪长隆||6.27||10.13|
|●||●||↑||3 09||Canton Tower||广州塔||1.15||23.01|
|●||●||↑||3 10||Zhujiang New Town||珠江新城||1.51||24.52||Tianhe|
|●||●||●||↑||3 11||Tiyu Xilu||体育西路||GBRT(via Tianhe Lu)||1.31||25.83|
|｜||●||｜||｜||3 14||South China Normal University||华师||0.88||28.90|
|｜||●||｜||｜||3 16||Tianhe Coach Terminal||天河客运站||2.59||33.08|
|●||●||↑||3 18||Guangzhou East Railway Station||广州东站||GGQ||1.09||35.32|
|●||●||↑||3 21||Jingxi Nanfang Hospital||京溪南方医院||1.36||39.65|
|●||●||3 29||Airport South (Terminal 1)||机场南（1号航站楼）||CAN||3.81||65.42||Huadu|
|●||●||3 30||Airport North (Terminal 2)||机场北（2号航站楼）||CAN||1.23||66.65|
A eastern extension to Haibang is currently under construction with opening scheduled in 2022.
|3 ??||Jinguang Dadao||金光大道|
|3 ??||Guangzhou Xinchengxi||广州新城西|
|3 ??||Panyu Coach Terminal||番禺客运站|
- Yao Jiamin (姚佳敏), ed. (2015-09-03). 广州地铁为缓解客流压力将座椅拆除_广州新闻_南方网. Gz.southcn.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- 1024.1万！春运收官日广州地铁客流再创新高 (in Chinese). Guangzhou Metro. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- "Fastest advanced metro starts service". Chinadaily.com.cn. 2005-12-26. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "Dates fixed for opening of six new metro lines". NEWSGD.com. Retrieved 1 August 2012.