Line 4 (Mumbai Metro)
|Mumbai Metro Line 4|
|Locale||Mumbai and Thane, Maharashtra, India|
|Stations||32 + 2 extended 34|
|Daily ridership||2021 0.8 million 2031 1.2 million|
|Commenced||25 July 2018|
|Line length||32.32 km (20.08 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Operating speed||90 km/h (56 mph)|
|Highest elevation||3.90 m (12.8 ft)|
|Mumbai Metro (Line 4)|
Line 4 of the Mumbai Metro, currently under early stages of construction, is part of the metro system for the city of Mumbai, India and is being developed by MMRDA and a consortium of international companies.
The 32.32 km (20.08 mi) line is planned to be fully elevated, and is expected to consist of 32 stations from Wadala (Mumbai) to Kasarvadavali (Ghodbunder road, Thane) via Ghatkopar, Mulund and Teen Hath Naka, a popular traffic crossing in Thane. It is estimated to cost ₹14,549 crore. Its construction was expected to begin by June 2018.
It is expected to be completed in 2022 and is expected to provide interconnectivity among the existing Eastern Express Highway, Central Railway, Mono Rail, the ongoing Metro Line 2B (D N Nagar to Mandale), and the proposed Metro Line 5 (Thane to Kalyan), Metro Line 6 (Swami Samarth Nagar to Vikhroli) and Metro Line 11 (Wadala to CSMT). It will provide rail based access to the commercial, government bodies and geographical landmarks in Mumbai. Dedicated depots are planned in Owale land in up to an extent of 20 ha. and in Godrej Land in up to 15.50 ha. area. It will reduce the current travel time by between 50% and 75% depending on road conditions.
The Maharashtra Cabinet approved the Metro 4 corridor on 27 September 2016. Half of the project cost will be funded by the Centre and the State Government, while the remaining will be financed through loans from the AIIB and the World Bank. The foundation stone for Metro 4 was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 December 2016. The Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority granted Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) to the project in February 2017. Over 1 km of the line passes over water bodies in Bhakti Park and Wadala, both areas classified as Coastal Regulation Zone II where CRZ rules limit construction activities. 48 piers are proposed to built in the CRZ II. The MMRDA will construct metro car depots for the line on a 30 hectare plot at Owala village in Thane district and another in Vikhroli.
The MMRDA utilized a drone to carry out survey work for Metro 4. The drones were fitted with 360 degrees camera that provide up to 3 millimeter accuracy. The aerial survey takes less time than a regular survey, achieves greater accuracy and helps protect against false claims for compensation. In March 2017, the MMRDA stated that it was conducting a pre-feasbility study on extending the line from Wadala to Mumbai General Post Office in South Mumbai, via the Mumbai Port Trust. The proposed 8 km extension is estimated to cost ₹300 crore per km.
In October 2018, the MMRDA announced that it would construct Metro 4 along with three flyovers to ensure smooth flow of traffic, with the metro running on the upper deck of the flyover. The three flyovers will be built at Bhayander Pada, Kasarvadavli and Anandnagar near Ghodbunder.
In May 2019, MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner R.A. Rajeev announced a modified plan to use Siddharth Colony as the interchange station with Line 2. The original plan had proposed to use the Eastern Express Highway station on Line 2B and Siddharth Colony on Line 4 as the interchange stations. However, the two stations are approximately 480 metres away from Siddharth Colony and the change was made to simplify passenger transfers.
A consortium of DB Engineering, Louis Berger and Hill International was awarded a project management and construction management services contract for the Metro 4 project in April 2018. The MMRDA invited bids for civil work on the corridor on 4 January 2017. The tenders for construction of viaducts and stations were divided into five packages - Wadala to Amar Mahal Junction, Garodia Nagar to Surya Nagar, Gandhi Nagar to Sonapur, Mulund Fire Station to Majiwada and Kapurbawdi to Kasarvadavali. Metro 4 was tendered alongside Metro 2B. L&T, Afcons Infrastructure, Tata, NCC and JMC, Reliance Infrastructure-RdE, JKumar Group, ITD Cementation, CHEC-TPL bid for packages on both Metro 2B and Metro 4. A total of 10 firms and/or consortia submitted bids for the two lines, two of whom (Simplex Infrastructures and a consortium of GHEC-RCC-JV-China) bid exclusively for Metro 2B packages.
The construction work was divided into five packages and awarded through the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) model in April 2018. A joint venture between Reliance Infrastructure and Italian firm Astaldi S.P.A was awarded three packages between Kasarwadavali and Wadala worth ₹1,584 crore (US$230 million). The contract for the remaining two packages, worth a combined ₹1,048 crore (US$150 million), was awarded to a joint venture between Tata Projects Limited and China Harbour Engineering Company. The civil work is expected to be completed in 30 months.
|1||General Consultant||DB Engineering & Consulting GmbH with M/s. Louis Berger Pvt. Ltd and Hill International|
|2||Rolling Stock||Yet to be appointed|
|3||Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)||M/s. SYSTRA|
|4||Wadala to Amar Mahal
(6.2 km Viaduct & 6 Stations)
|5||Garodia Nagar-Surya Nagar
(6.4 km Viaduct & 7 Stations)
(6.7 km Viaduct & 6 Stations)
|7||Mulund Fire Station-Majiwada
(7.1 km Viaduct & 7 Stations)
(6.8 km Viaduct & 6 Stations)
|Sr. No.||Name of Work||Description||Status for year 2019|
|21 May 2019||3 June 2019||14 June 2019||4 July 2019||6 August 2019|
|1||Soil Investigation Works||Soil Investigation Work For Pier Foundation Completed||78%||80.5%||81.0%||82.0%|
|2||Utility Works||Works Completed||64%||66.4%||68.2%|
|3||Piling Works||Piling Work For
|4||Pile Cap Works||Pile Cap Work Completed||6.5%||10.1%||12.4%||14.7%|
|5||Pier Works||Piers Cast||3.5%||5.71%||8.0%||10.2%|
|6||Pier Cap Works||Pier Cap Works in Progress||Nil||Casting of Pier Cap is started
at casting yard and 0.075% casting completed till May 2019.
|Casting of Pier Cap is started
at casting yard and 0.063% casting completed till June 2019
|Casting of Pier Cap is started
at casting yard and 0.068% casting completed till July 2019
|7||U Girder Works||Casting yard works are in progress||Nil||Nil||Casting of U Girder started
at casting yard and 0.21% casting completed till June 2019
|Casting of U Girder started
at casting yard and 0.41% casting completed till July 2019
|8||Station work||Station work in progress||Nil||Pile Foundation works Started since last month|
32 stations are being planned on Line 4. Most of them were either in the stage of planning or under early stages of construction (as of November 2018) 
|1||Kasarvadavali||Elevated||Line 4A (Mumbai Metro),||Under Construction|
|2||Vijay Garden||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|3||Dongari Pada||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|6||Kapurbawdi||Elevated||Line 5 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|8||Cadbury Junction||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|9||Mahapalika Marg||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|10||RTO Thane||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|11||Thane Teen Haath Naka||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|12||Maharana Pratap Chowk||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|13||Mulund Fire Station||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|14||Dr Hedgewar Chowk||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|16||Bhandup Metro||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|17||Bhandup Mahapalika||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|18||Naval Housing||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|19||Gandhi Nagar||Elevated||Line 6 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|20||Surya Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|21||Vikhroli Metro||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|22||Godrej Company||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|23||Shreyes Cinema||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|24||Lakshmi Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|25||Pant Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|26||Garodia Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|27||Amar Mahal Junction||Elevated||Line 2 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|28||Siddharth Colony||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|29||Suman Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|30||Anik Nagar Bus Depot||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|31||Wadala TT||Elevated||Line 11 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|32||Bhakti Park Metro||Elevated||Line 1 (Mumbai Monorail)||Under Construction|
The car depot will be located at Owale.
2 stations are being planned on Line 4A. Connected to word Gaimukh to Kasarvadavali also connect Metro 10
|2||Gaimukh||Elevated||Line 10 (Mumbai Metro)||Approved|
- "Mumbai Metro 4A".
- "Mumbai Metro line 4 - current status". www.mmrda.maharashtra.gov.in/. MMRDA official website. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Everything you need to know about Metro 2B and Metro 4 | Free Press Journal". Free Press Journal. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Maharashtra Cabinet Gives Go-Ahead For Two Metro Lines". NDTV.com. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Mumbai to get two more Metro Rails". Business Standard India. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "MMRDA invites civil work bids for two Metro projects". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Wadala-Thane metro line clears CRZ hurdle - Mumbai Mirror -". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "MMRDA plans drone survey for other Metro lines". The Indian Express. 7 March 2017. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "MMRDA plans to extend Metro-IV route from Wadala to GPO". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Mumbai Metro's Thane-Wadala line likely to be extended to CST/GPO | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 16 March 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Metro-4, 9 to be built along with flyovers". The Asian Age. 1 October 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Mumbai: MMRDA to build Metro 4 & 9 corridors along with flyovers". Free Press Journal. 4 October 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Naik, Yogesh (21 May 2019). "MMRDA redrafts plans for better connectivity between Mumbai Metro corridors". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Berger, Louis. "Louis Berger awarded Mumbai Metro Line 4 contract in India". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "DB Engineering-Louis Berger bags contract for Mumbai Metro 4". dna. 10 April 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "MMRDA invites bids for 2 metro projects". dna. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "MMRDA invites tenders for design, construction of stations, viaducts for new Metro routes". The Indian Express. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Racing against 2021 deadline, Maharashtra opens bids for two more Metro lines". Hindustan Times. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Correspondent, Special. "MMRDA invites tenders for Metro-2B and 4". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Mumbai commute to get faster, firms queue up to build two more Metro lines". Hindustan Times. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "MMRDA receives interest from domestic, foreign firms for metro". India Today. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "R Infra, 10 others bid for Metro-2B, Metro-4 corridors". Asian Age. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Reliance Infra bags three packages of Mumbai Metro Line 4". The Economic Times. 13 April 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Tata Projects bag Rs 1,048 crore Mumbai Metro packages". The Economic Times. 13 April 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Pillay, Amritha (14 April 2018). "Reliance Infrastructure, Tata Projects win bids for Mumbai Metro project". Business Standard India. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "DB Engineering & Consulting". www.db-engineering-consulting.de. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "Louis Berger awarded Mumbai Metro Line 4 contract in India".
- "Hill International awarded Mumbai Metro Line 4 contract in India".
- "Mumbai Metro 4 – Wadala–Ghatkopar-Mulund–Teen Hath Naka–Kasarvadavali Station".