Line 5 (Shanghai Metro)
An AC11 series train at Minhang Development Zone station.
|Other name(s)||R1a (planned name)|
Xinmin line (Chinese: 莘闵线)
Xinmin light rail (Chinese: 莘闵轻轨)
|Type||Rapid transit / Medium-capacity rail transport system|
|Status||Southern branch extension to Fengpu Xincheng under construction|
Minhang Development Zone
|Daily ridership||170,000 (2014 peak)|
|Opened||November 25, 2003|
|Operator(s)||Shanghai No.1 Metro Operation Co. Ltd.|
|Line length||17.2 km (10.69 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||Overhead lines (1500 volts)|
|Operating speed||80 km/h (50 mph)|
|Line 5, Shanghai Metro|
Line 5 is a southern line of the Shanghai Metro network. It was opened on November 25, 2003 and despite its name was the fourth line to open. It is a light metro line. Alongside Line 6 it is often erroneously referred to as a 'light rail' line. The line connects the southernmost station of Line 1, Xinzhuang with the Minhang Development Zone in Minhang, a suburban district of Shanghai. The line is colored violet on system maps.
Line 5 was built following Minhang District's own decision, and is the only line in Shanghai Metro system that was built only under a county-grade government's consensus.
In 1998, the Minhang District Government signed a contract with Shanghai Jiushi Group. In 2000, Jiushi signed a contract between Alstom to buy trains and started its construction. In 2002, Shanghai Modern Rail Transit Incorporation, a subsidiary of former Shanghai Ba-Shi (Group), starts its management of the line. On November 25, 2003, the line started its operation.
It started using Shanghai Metro's IC ticket system in 2005, which enabled Xinzhuang Station's in-station transferring; in the meantime, the line's management was taken over by Shanghai Metro No.1 Operation Company.
|●||Minhang Development Zone||闵行开发区||1.10||16.55|
|East Huancheng Road||环城东路|
|Pingzhuang Highway[note 1]||平庄公路|
Note: Partial service between Xinzhuang and Jinping Road began on August 20, 2018 and ended on October 19, 2018. Separate service that split at Dongchuan Road, which appear as Xinzhuang - Dongchuan Road and Dongchuan Road - Minhang Development Zone began on October 20, 2018 due to the transformation of signal system of Dongchuan Road - Minhang Development Zone section and current 05C01 trains. Passengers need to transfer at Dongchuan Road to continue journeys northbound, like Guanglan Road transfer on Line 2.
A branch line from the north side of Dongchuan Road will go straight at Humin Road, and cross the Huangpu River by Minpu 2nd Bridge to Fengxian District. By then, it will be the 1st metro service which goes through the Huangpu River by a bridge . The 1st phase will stretch from Dongchuan Road to South Nanqiao Xincheng, and began construction on July 30, 2014. The total length of the first extension is 19.505 kilometers, with 7.74 kilometers running underground. The stops along the underground portion of this extension will be the first underground stops on Line 5 when construction is expected to end in 2017.
The 2nd phase may continue south to Haiwan.
|Xinzhuang — Dongchuan Road||25 November 2003||11.11 km (6.90 mi)||7||(initial phase)|
|Dongchuan Road — Minhang Development Zone||5.50 km (3.42 mi)||4|
|Type||Time of manufacturing||Series||Sets||Assembly||Notes|
|Type C||2002–2004||05C01||17||Tc＋Mp＋Mp＋Tc (note that the passage between the carriages are sealed)||Manufactured by Alstom and Shanghai Electric|
- 12月31日客流破千万. Shanghai Metro. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- Chen Yixin (陈依新) (2003). 上海轨道交通投资建设运营监管四分开体制之探索. 城市公共交通 [Urban Public Transport]. 1. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- H5上海久事三十周年庆：情贵于久，功成于事. image.thepaper.cn. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- 轨道交通5号线莘闵线工程. 上海市城乡建设和管理委员会 [Shanghai Urban Construction and Administration Committee]. Archived from the original on 2015-04-26.
- 轻轨莘闵线今正午首发 与1号线换乘暂不能一票通. Sh.sina.com.cn. 2003-11-25. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- 上海市轨道交通四条线实现“一票换乘”. News.163.com. 2005-12-26. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "配合延伸段建设 10月20日起5号线调整运行交路 六编组列车首次投运 东川路站双向换乘".
- 配合建设改造5号线调整运营方案. Shanghai Metro.
- 上海轨道交通5号线南延伸段6月底开工 (in Chinese). 隧道网. 2014-06-20. Archived from the original on 2014-08-19. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- 上海轨道交通5号线南延伸段动工 2017年试通车 (in Chinese). Chinanews. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- Pingzhuang Highway is a reserved station, will not open with the rest of the extension at this time.