Line 8, Shanghai Metro
|Line 8, Shanghai Metro|
An AC07 series train at Laoximen Station on Line 8.
|Status||Extension to South Pujin Road under construction.|
|Daily ridership||1.12 million (2017 peak)|
|Opened||December 29, 2007|
|Operator(s)||Shanghai No.4 Metro Operation Co. Ltd.|
|Character||Underground and elevated|
|Line length||37.4 km (23.24 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||Overhead lines (1500 volts)|
|Operating speed||80 km/h (49.71 mph)|
|Line 8, Shanghai Metro|
- Shiguang Road Station — Shendu Highway Station
- Middle Yanji Road Station — Oriental Sports Center Station
|●||●||Middle Yanji Road||延吉中路||0.85||3.84|
|●||●||Hongkou Football Stadium||虹口足球场||1.47||10.52|
|●||●||North Xizang Road||西藏北路||1.27||11.79||Jing'an|
|●||●||South Xizang Road||西藏南路||1.12||19.06|
|●||●||China Art Museum||中华艺术宫||2.11||21.17||Pudong|
|●||●||Oriental Sports Center||东方体育中心||1.67||27.77|
- Hongkou Football Stadium - At this station, passengers can transfer to Line 3. Previously they must exit and re-enter the station, but a new linkway has been built via the shopping center.
- People's Square - Passengers can interchange to Lines 1 and 2. This is also a very important station, as it is located at a major financial district as well as near many tourist attractions.
- South Xizang Road: The first platform to platform interchange station in the Shanghai Metro network. Interchange with Line 4.
The subway line's first phase, which opened on December 29, 2007, runs between Shiguang Road Station and Yaohua Road Station, excluding Zhoujiadu Station. Trial operation began for the first phase of this line on September 16. The second phase, from Yaohua Road Station to Shendu Highway Station, excluding Oriental Sports Center Station, began its trial runs on July 5, 2009. Oriental Sports Center Station opened in April 2011. The "third phase", which was renamed "Pujiang Line" on May 4, 2017, will actually be a new line running from Shendu Highway Station to Huizhen Road Station and will be 6.689 km long. It will use rubber tire Bombardier Innova APM 300 technology. On January 13 Bombardier delivered the first out of 44 autonomous people movers to Shanghai. It is expected to open at the end of 2017.
Even though Line 8 is a heavy rail rapid transit line, "C size" trains used for light metro lines consisting of 6 or 7 cars are being used throughout the line with platforms built to accommodate up to 8 car trains. Due to the trains relatively small size and capacity compared to "A size" trains used on other Shanghai Metro lines the line is extremely crowded. This has caused much doubt among the public in the Shanghai Metro's ability to accurately predict passenger flows for future lines. It was revealed that line 8 originally was forecasted to have a short term daily ridership of 400,000-500,000 people/day, which warrants the use of "A size" trains. This is not surprising given Line 8 is planned to pass by some of Shanghai's densest neighborhoods and several major attractions. However the forecast was downgraded to 200,000 people/day which allowed Shanghai Alstom, a company interested in manufacturing and selling "C size" trains in Shanghai, to build trains for line 8. There are no short term solutions to the overcrowding. The loading gauges of "A size" trains are incompatible with "C size" trains but parallel relief bus services have started operating.
|Shiguang Road — Yaohua Road||29 December 2007||23.3 km (14.48 mi)|
|Yaohua Road — Shendu Highway||5 July 2009||14.1 km (8.76 mi)|
|Oriental Sports Center||12 April 2011||Infill station|
|China Art Museum||28 September 2012||Infill station|
|Type||Time of manufacturing||Series||Sets||Assembly||Notes|
|Type C||2006–2008||AC07||28||Tc＋Mp＋M＋M＋Mp＋Tc (6 car set)
Tc＋Mp＋M＋T＋M＋Mp＋Tc (7 car set)
|Manufactured by Alstom|
|Type C||2009–2012||AC15||18||Tc＋Mp＋M＋M＋M＋Mp＋Tc||Manufactured by CNR Changchun|
|Type C||2010–2012||AC15B||20||Tc＋Mp＋M＋M＋M＋Mp＋Tc||Manufactured by CNR Changchun|
- "Metro breaks records" (in Chinese). Shanghai Daily. 2017-03-10. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Bombardier delivers automated people mover to Shanghai Shentong Metro". www.eurotransportmagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
- "客流预测报告做出前内定小型车". Sina. Retrieved 2013-01-27.