Type of site
Lingvist's method includes 3 different modules: A Memorize section - based on word cards -, Reading exercises and Listening exercises.
Lingvist's software analyses various text sources, such as subtitles or articles to determine the frequency of words in a given language.
As an adaptive tool, Lingvist uses mathematical optimisation to adapt the lessons to its users's level. The user will repeat words he or she has previously forgotten or written incorrectly, but will quickly progress from those mastered at the first go.
History and development
Lingvist's prototype was created by Estonian physicist Mait Müntel while living in Switzerland and learning the French language.
In 2014, €1 Million has been raised from SmartCap, Nordic VC Inventure, and other angel investors in order to keep developing the tool.
Recognitions and awards
In October 2015, the Lingvist Team was recognized as the "brightest startup" by the Tallinn Entrepreneurship Awards.
- Language education
- Language pedagogy
- Computer-assisted language learning
- List of language self-study programs
- "Lingvist.io: Launching new languages".
- O'Hear Steve (2014-04-01). "Lingvist Raises €1 Million To Reduce The Time It Takes To Learn A New Language". Techcrunch. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Norris Ben (2014-03-31). "What can you accomplish in roughly 200 hours?". Arcticstartup. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Estonian Physicist Develops a Free Language Learning App". EER.ee. 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "From nuclear physics to teaching language". E-Estonia.com. 2015-01-13. Archived from the original on 2016-06-03. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Degler Andrii (2014-04-30). "Catch up on a month of tech news from Eastern Europe: April". thenextweb.com. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Lingvist 2.0". ProductHunt. 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Kitt Robert, Member of the Board, Swedbank. "Prototron moulds real business ideas". Swedbank. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Lunden Ingrid (2014-06-20). "TechStars London Demo Day 2014: Meet The 11 Startups (And Our Picks)". Techcrunch. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Tallinn recognizes its brightest entrepreneurs". Tallinn.ee. 2015-10-12. Retrieved 2015-10-29.