|Motto(s): Linköping - where ideas come to life|
|• Total||1,568.26 km2 (605.51 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,427.44 km2 (551.14 sq mi)|
|• Water||140.82 km2 (54.37 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
|Population (31 December 2017)|
|• Density||100/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1971 by the amalgamation of the City of Linköping with five surrounding rural municipalities. The number of original local government entities (as of 1863) making up Linköping Municipality is 32.
Linköping is one of the few municipalities in Sweden to style the speaker of the assembly as mayor.
Linköping wants to create a sustainable development of the city and therefore plan to become a carbon neutral community by 2025.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Sister cities to Linköping are
- Joensuu, Finland
- Ísafjarðarbær, Iceland
- Tønsberg, Norway
- Trabzon, Turkey
- Linz, Austria
- Pietrasanta, Italy
- Kaunas, Lithuania
- Oradea, Romania
- Guangzhou, China
- Macau, Macau, China
- Estelí, Nicaragua
- Morogoro, Tanzania
- Palo Alto, California, U.S.
- São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo, Brazil
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2017" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Corren 7/18 2007. Archived 2007-08-28 at the Wayback Machine. (in Swedish)
- Linköping Municipality - Official site