|Parent company||Linn Products|
|Genre||Classical, jazz, Scottish|
|Country of origin||Scotland|
While Linn engineers were testing their flagship product, the Sondek LP12 turntable, they became frustrated with some of the specialist test LPs they were using. Work began on an LP cutting lathe as a research product to improve testing for the LP12.
Today they are an audiophile label, specialising in classical, jazz and Celtic music, and won the Record Label of the Year award at the 2010 Gramophone Awards. Release formats include CD, SACD, HDCD, vinyl and digital downloads.
Linn Records has always had an interest in other genres dating back to the signing of The Blue Nile in 1982.
Between 1995 and 2011 Linn artwork was designed by John Haxby, a graphic artist, photographer and promoter based in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire. Since September 2013, all artwork has been designed by GM Toucari.
High resolution downloads
As of February 2013 all 'Studio Master' downloads from linnrecords.com are available in FLAC format, ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec.) and MP3. The music does not include DRM technology. The website was also updated so that embedded artwork was added to all downloads.
In 2008, Linn Records started to host music for other labels and now offers a library of more than 700 Studio Master Quality albums from 96 different labels. The start of 2012 saw the label form a partnership with Universal to sell a huge range of their back catalogue.
Classical artists include:
- Avison Ensemble
- Alfie Boe
- Boston Baroque
- Katherine Bryan
- John Butt (musician)
- Dunedin Consort
- Ingrid Fliter
- James Gilchrist
- Peter Harvey (baritone)
- Ruthie Henshall
- Yuniko Kato
- Sir Charles Mackerras
- Sivan Magen
- Nigel North
- Martin Pearlman
- Phantasm (music group)
- Trevor Pinnock
- Artur Pizarro
- The Prince Consort
- Profeti della Quinta
- Robin Ticciati
- Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- Trio Sonnerie
- Willard White
- Benjamin Zander
Jazz artists include:
Other artists include:
- Mason, Stuart. "A Walk Across the Rooftops: Review". Allmusic. Archived from the original on 2015-11-28. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- Ditzel, Eleanor. "Carol Kidd: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- McArdle, Helen (2010-10-02). "Linn Records beats industry giants to label of the year crown". The Herald. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Scots record firm wins 'label of the year'". BBC News. 1 October 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Hello ALAC, goodbye WMA". Linn Records. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "Record Labels". Linn Records. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "A treasure trove in the Universal vaults". Linn Records. 2012-04-16. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "Katō Kuniko (marimba) — Kumu Art Museum". Kumu.ekm.ee. Retrieved 6 November 2018.