|Limited liability company|
|Industry||Cloud computing, web services, Internet hosting services|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
(founder and CEO)
Virtual private servers
Number of employees
Linode transitioned from UML to Xen virtualization in March 2008, and then to KVM in mid-2015. It launched its data backup service in 2009. NodeBalancer, a load-balancing service, launched in July 2011. Linode released Linode Managed, an incident response service designed for businesses, in 2013.
Linode opened its first data centers in Fremont, California, and Dallas in 2003. It subsequently opened data centers in Atlanta in 2007; Newark, New Jersey, in 2008; London in 2009; Tokyo in 2011[failed verification] and 2016; Frankfurt and Singapore in 2015; and Toronto, Mumbai, and Sydney in 2019.
In 2015, Christopher Aker purchased the historic Corn Exchange Bank building at North 3rd Street and Arch Street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia. After renovations, Linode moved its headquarters there in 2018. Aker said that the company was having trouble attracting workers from its previous suburban location in Galloway Township, New Jersey, and hoped a Philadelphia location would help draft talent.
Products and services
Its flagship products are cloud-hosting services with multiple packages at different price points. As of November 2019, Linode offers five kinds of compute services geared towards specific needs of the customers like high memory requirements, dedicated CPU or GPU or general purpose usage. Linode Block Storage allows users to extend their server storage capacity with volumes on demand. Linode Backup allows customers to backup their servers on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Linode Manager and NodeBalancer both allow users to manage multiple server instances across a single system.
In September 2013, Linode launched Longview, an analysis package for Linux. Linode launched its S3-Compatible Object Storage service on late October 2019 to enable customers to store large unstructured data. This was a highly requested feature from the customers. On November 11, 2019 at CNCF KubeCon, Linode announced the availability of its managed Kubernetes engine service.
- Linode Kubernetes Engine (LKE) - Kubernetes containers as a service application.
- GPU - On-demand cloud GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) compute configurations for parallel processing workloads such as machine learning, scientific computing, and video processing.
- Dedicated CPU - Dedicated CPU instances run on their own CPU cores in the Linode infrastructure. No sharing the processor with other customers.
- High Memory - High Memory compute configurations to run memory-intensive applications.
- Shared Linodes - A balanced compute configuration for a wide range of cloud applications.
- Nanode - $5/month entry level compute package to run a fully functioning Linux distribution.
- Linode Object Storage - Highly available and scalable S3-Compatible object storage to store unstructured data.
- Linode Block Storage - Block storage to store data in volumes, or blocks, which act as individual hard disk drives (HDD).
- Linode Backups - Automatic data backup service.
- VPC - Virtual Private Cloud for managing the software defined network of cloud resources.
- VLAN - Virtual Local Area Network
- DDoS Protection - Detection and mitigation of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) infrastructure attacks.
- NodeBalancers - Software-defined, managed service for load balancing the traffic.
- DNS Manager - Managed Domain Name System (DNS) service on Linode infrastructure.
- Next Generation Network - Linodes modern worldwide network infrastructure which interconnects global data centers via a private fiber backbone.
One-Click App Marketplace
- Linode Marketplace - Easy solution for developers to find and install pre-configured applications onto their Linode infrastructure.
- Cloud Manager - A user- and mobile-friendly interface to deploy and manage Linode virtual machines, configure networking, and control user accounts.
- Linode API - API (Application Programming Interface) for programmatic access to the Linode platform.
- Linode CLI - CLI (Command Line Interface) account access from for managing Linode infrastructure.
- Images - Create customer Linux images to make scaling easier.
- StackScripts - Automatically customize Linode infrastructure deployments with StackScripts.
- Monitoring - Analyze infrastructure performance, track transfer usage, and create custom alerts.
- Managed - An incident response service to help businesses cut out costly downtime.
- Professional Services - Cloud consulting to help you architect your services, carry out site migrations, and deploy software.
Linode is a recipient of the Stevie Award for Sales and Customer Service. In 2019, Linode was awarded a Top Workplaces honor by The Philadelphia Inquirer. Linode’s headquarters building received the 2019 Grand Jury Award from the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia. The building, built in 1902, is a Philadelphia landmark, named on Philadelphia’s registrar of historic places, and was once an MTV Real World house.
Linode operates 11 data centers around the world, connected by the company’s Next Generation Network and extensive peering arrangements. IPv6 is fully enabled on all of Linode’s supported operating systems and free DDoS protection is included on all of the company’s virtual machines.
Regions & Data Centers
As of Q2 2020, Linode Cloud is available in 11 regions leveraging 11 Data Centers. A region is a specific geographical location where users can deploy cloud resources.
|1||Dallas, TX. USA||Q2,2003|
|2||Fremont, CA. USA||Q4, 2003|
|3||Atlanta, GA. USA||Q1, 2007|
|4||Newark, NJ. USA||Q2, 2008|
|5||London, England||Q4, 2009|
|6||Tokyo, Japan||Q3, 2011|
|7||Singapore, Singapore||Q2, 2015|
|8||Frankfurt, Germany||Q3, 2015|
|9||Toronto, Canada||Q2, 2019|
|10||Mumbai, India||Q2, 2019|
|11||Sydney, Australia||Q3, 2019|
Comparison of services with other cloud providers
Comparison of services between cloud providers can be confusing. The following chart provides comparison of comparable services to Linode offerings.
|Linode Cloud Platform||Amazon Web Services||Google Cloud Platform||Microsoft Azure|
|Linode Compute||Amazon EC2||Google Compute Engine||Azure Virtual Machines|
|LinodeKubernetes Engine (LKE)||Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS)||Google Kubernetes Engine||Azure Kubernetes Service|
|Linode Object Storage||Amazon S3||Google Cloud Storage||Azure Blob Storage|
|Linode Block Storage||Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)|
|Linode One-Click App Marketplace||Azure App Services|
|Linode DNS Manager||Route 53||Cloud DNS||DNS|
|NodeBalancer||Network Load Balancer||Cloud Load Balancing||Load Balancer|
|LinodeDDoS||Shield||Cloud Armor||DDoS Protection Service|
|Linode GPU||Accelerated Computing - P3 Instances||Cloud GPU|
Hack The Planet (HTP) accessed Linode's web servers in 2013. The group exploited a technical vulnerability in Adobe's ColdFusion application server. Linode said that HTP could not decrypt any financially sensitive information and reset all account passwords. Linode announced plans to introduce two-step authentication for its services in May 2013.
Starting Christmas Day 2015 and continuing until January 10th, Linode was hit by large and frequent DDoS attacks, which were being caused by a "bad actor" purchasing large amounts of botnet capacity in an attempt to significantly damage Linode's business. Linode was the victim of another severe DDoS attack over the 2016 Labor Day weekend.
- "It's clear to Linode: There's a market to bring cloud services to small companies". New Jersey Business Journal. 2013-11-04. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Reyes, Juliana (2015-12-11). "Wow. Linode just spent $5M on the old MTV 'Real World' house on N3rd Street - Technical.ly Philly". Technically Media. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "About us", Linode. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "New data center: Tokyo 2". Linode. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Introducing Linodes in Frankfurt!". Linode. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- "Singapore Linodes are now available!". Linode. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Linode unveils first ever Canadian data centre hub". Data Economy. 2019-05-02. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Linode's 10th Data Center Location : Mumbai, India". Webopedia. 2019-07-17. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Linode Expands Global Data Center Network to India". Linode. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Linode Expands Global Infrastructure with Sydney Data Center". Linode. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Remember that 'Real World' house? It's now a sleek tech headquarters". Philly.com. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Adobe Patches Critical Vulnerabilities in Flash Player Coldfusion". Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- "Block Storage Volumes". Linode. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Bernstein, Peter. (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". TechZone 360. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Jack Clark (September 6, 2013). "Linode adds analytics package to Linux cloud". The Register. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Peter Bernstein (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". Tech Zone 360. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Nicole Henderson (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview for Linux Server Statistics Collection and Graphing". The Whir. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- John Maxwell (September 6, 2013). "Linode Releases Longview, New Linux Server Statistics Collection And Graphing Service". Best Web Hosting 2Go. Archived from the original on September 22, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Linode Object Storage is Here". Linode. 2019-10-30. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- "Linode Managed Kubernetes Now Available". Linode. 2019-11-19. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- "2020 Stevie® Award Winners | Stevie Awards". stevieawards.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Top Workplaces | The Philadelphia Inquirer". TopWorkplaces. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Linode Headquarters receives 2019 Grand Jury Award from the Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia | American Institute of Architects". www.aiaphiladelphia.org. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Linode Headquarters to receive Grand Jury Award from Preservation Alliance". Ballinger.com. 2019-05-01. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- Saffron, Inga (May 4, 2018). "Remember that 'Real World' house? It's now a sleek tech headquarters". inquirer.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- LLC, Linode. "Linode Chooses Sydney as Next Stop in Global Expansion". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Linode Announces DDoS Protection Across Its Global Network". InfoQ. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Global Infrastructure". Linode. Retrieved 2020-07-22.
- Matonis, Jon. "Watch Bitcoin Robbery in Slow Motion". Forbes. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Linode hackers escape with $70K in daring bitcoin heist". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Lee, Michael. "VPS host Linode issues customer-wide password reset". ZDNet. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Dumon, Marv. "Amazon Launches Cloud Computing Certification Program - Page 2". Technorati. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Web host Linode, hackers clash over credit-card raid claim". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Bandoim, Lana. "Two-Step Authentication Grows in Popularity". Yahoo! Voices. Archived from the original on 9 June 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Forster, Alex. "An update from Linode about the recent DDoS attacks". Linode. Linode. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Cimpanu, Catalin. ""Catastrophic" DDoS Attack Pummels Linode Servers over Labor Day Weekend".