|Industry||Internet hosting services|
|Headquarters||Galloway, New Jersey|
|Christopher Aker, CEO|
Virtual private servers
Number of employees
Linode was founded by Christopher Aker, launching in mid 2003.
Linode transitioned from UML to Xen virtualization in March 2008, and then to KVM in mid-2015. It launched its data backup service in 2009. NodeBalancer, a load-balancing service, launched in July 2011. Linode released Linode Managed, an incident response service designed for businesses, in 2013.
Its Dallas, Texas and Fremont, California data centers opened in 2003. Linode also opened an Atlanta, Georgia data center in 2007; a Newark, New Jersey-based center in 2008; its London, England center in 2009; a Tokyo, Japan center in 2011; and a Frankfurt, Germany center in 2015.
Products and services
Linode offers multiple products and services for its clients. Its flagship products are cloud-hosting services with multiple packages at different price points. Linode Backup allows customers to backup their servers on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Linode Manager and NodeBalancer both allow users to manage multiple server instances across a single system. In September 2013, Linode launched Longview, an analysis package for Linux.
Hack The Planet accessed the Linode’s web servers in 2013. The group exploited a technical vulnerability in Adobe’s ColdFusion application server. Linode said that HTP could not decrypt any financially sensitive information and reset all account passwords. Linode announced plans to introduce two-step authentication for its services in May 2013.
Starting Christmas Day 2015 and continuing until January 10th, Linode was being hit by large and frequent DDoS attacks (the estimated number of the attacks was 30, according to Linode), which according to Linode are being caused by a "bad actor" purchasing large amounts of botnet capacity in an attempt to significantly damage Linode’s business.
- "It’s clear to Linode: There’s a market to bring cloud services to small companies". New Jersey Business Journal. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- "About us", Linode. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Introducing Linodes in Frankfurt!". "Linode". Retrieved 23 Aug 2015.
- "Adobe Patches Critical Vulnerabilities in Flash Player Coldfusion". Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Bernstein, Peter. (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". TechZone 360. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Jack Clark (September 6, 2013). "Linode adds analytics package to Linux cloud". The Register. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Peter Bernstein (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". Tech Zone 360. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Nicole Henderson (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview for Linux Server Statistics Collection and Graphing". The Whir. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- John Maxwell (September 6, 2013). "Linode Releases Longview, New Linux Server Statistics Collection And Graphing Service". Best Web Hosting 2Go. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Matonis, Jon. "Watch Bitcoin Robbery in Slow Motion". Forbes. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Linode hackers escape with $70K in daring bitcoin heist". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Lee, Michael. "VPS host Linode issues customer-wide password reset". ZDNet. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Dumon, Marv. "Amazon Launches Cloud Computing Certification Program - Page 2". Technorati. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Web host Linode, hackers clash over credit-card raid claim". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Bandoim, Lana. "Two-Step Authentication Grows in Popularity". Yahoo! Voices. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Forster, Alex. "An update from Linode about the recent DDoS attacks". http://status.linode.com. Linode. Retrieved January 1, 2016. External link in