|Limited liability company|
|Industry||Internet hosting services|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
(founder and CEO)
Virtual private servers
Number of employees
Linode transitioned from UML to Xen virtualization in March 2008, and then to KVM in mid-2015. It launched its data backup service in 2009. NodeBalancer, a load-balancing service, launched in July 2011. Linode released Linode Managed, an incident response service designed for businesses, in 2013.
Its Dallas, Texas and Fremont, California data centers opened in 2003. Linode also opened an Atlanta, Georgia data center in 2007; a Newark, New Jersey-based center in 2008; its London, England center in 2009; a Tokyo, Japan center in 2011; as well as Frankfurt, Germany and Singapore data centers in 2015. On November 21, 2016, Linode announced the opening of a second data center in Tokyo  as the other data center in the region was sold out. On April 30, 2019, Linode announced the opening of a data center in Toronto, Canada. On 17th July 2019, Linode has started its 10th data center location in Mumbai, India to reach out world’s fastest growing developer community. 
The Headquarters of Linode was moved to Philadelphia from Galloway, New Jersey in 2018. In 2015, Christopher Aker purchased the historic Corn Exchange Bank building in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia at 3rd and Arch. The building was renovated and the company moved in 2018. Aker said Linode was having trouble attracting workers in the suburbs, and hoped a Philadelphia location would help draft talent.
Products and services
Linode offers multiple products and services for its clients. Its flagship products are cloud-hosting services with multiple packages at different price points. Linode Backup allows customers to backup their servers on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Linode Manager and NodeBalancer both allow users to manage multiple server instances across a single system. In September 2013, Linode launched Longview, an analysis package for Linux.
Hack The Planet (HTP) accessed Linode's web servers in 2013. The group exploited a technical vulnerability in Adobe's ColdFusion application server. Linode said that HTP could not decrypt any financially sensitive information and reset all account passwords. Linode announced plans to introduce two-step authentication for its services in May 2013.
Starting Christmas Day 2015 and continuing until January 10th, Linode was hit by large and frequent DDoS attacks, which were being caused by a "bad actor" purchasing large amounts of botnet capacity in an attempt to significantly damage Linode's business. Linode was the victim of another severe DDoS attack over the 2016 Labor Day weekend.
- "It's clear to Linode: There's a market to bring cloud services to small companies". New Jersey Business Journal. 2013-11-04. Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Reyes, Juliana (2015-12-11). "Wow. Linode just spent $5M on the old MTV 'Real World' house on N3rd Street - Technical.ly Philly". Technically Media. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "About us", Linode. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Introducing Linodes in Frankfurt!". Linode. Retrieved 23 Aug 2015.
- "Singapore Linodes are now available!". Linode. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "New data center: Tokyo 2". Linode.
- "Linode unveils first ever Canadian data centre hub". Data Economy. 2019-05-02. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Linode's 10th Data Center Location : Mumbai, India". Webopedia. 2019-07-17. Retrieved 2019-07-20.
- "Remember that 'Real World' house? It's now a sleek tech headquarters". Philly.com. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Adobe Patches Critical Vulnerabilities in Flash Player Coldfusion". Retrieved 21 Nov 2013.
- Bernstein, Peter. (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". TechZone 360. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Jack Clark (September 6, 2013). "Linode adds analytics package to Linux cloud". The Register. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Peter Bernstein (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview, Takes Deep Look at Data Center and Server Performance". Tech Zone 360. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Nicole Henderson (September 5, 2013). "Linode Launches Longview for Linux Server Statistics Collection and Graphing". The Whir. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- John Maxwell (September 6, 2013). "Linode Releases Longview, New Linux Server Statistics Collection And Graphing Service". Best Web Hosting 2Go. Archived from the original on September 22, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Matonis, Jon. "Watch Bitcoin Robbery in Slow Motion". Forbes. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Linode hackers escape with $70K in daring bitcoin heist". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Lee, Michael. "VPS host Linode issues customer-wide password reset". ZDNet. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Dumon, Marv. "Amazon Launches Cloud Computing Certification Program - Page 2". Technorati. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Leyden, John. "Web host Linode, hackers clash over credit-card raid claim". The Register. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Bandoim, Lana. "Two-Step Authentication Grows in Popularity". Yahoo! Voices. Archived from the original on 9 June 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Forster, Alex. "An update from Linode about the recent DDoS attacks". Linode. Linode. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Cimpanu, Catalin. ""Catastrophic" DDoS Attack Pummels Linode Servers over Labor Day Weekend".