Linphone running on Windows
|Original author(s)||Belledonne Communications|
|Written in||C, Java, C#, Python|
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Mac OS, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone|
|Available in||Multilingual, including English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Traditional Chinese|
|Type||Voice over IP, instant messaging, videoconferencing|
|License||GNU GPL version 2 or proprietary|
Linphone (contraction of Linux phone) is a free voice over IP softphone, SIP client and service. It may be used for audio and video direct calls and calls through any VoIP softswitch or IP-PBX. Also Linphone provides the possibility to exchange instant messages. It has a simple multilanguage interface based on GTK+ for GUI and can also be run as a console-mode application on Linux.
The softphone is currently developed by Belledonne Communications in France. Linphone was initially developed for Linux but now supports many additional platforms including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and mobile phones running Windows Phone, iOS or Android. It supports ZRTP for end-to-end encrypted voice and video communication.
Linphone is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and supports IPv6. Linphone can also be used behind network address translator (NAT), meaning it can run behind home routers. It is compatible with telephony by using an Internet telephony service provider (ITSP).
Linphone hosts a free SIP service on its website.
Linphone client provide access to following functionalities:
- Multi-account work
- Registration on any SIP-service and line status management
- Contact list with status of other users
- Conference call initiation
- Combination of message history and call details
- DTMF signals sending (SIP INFO / RFC 2833)
- File sharing
- Additional plugins
Open standards support
- SIP according to RFC 3261 (UDP, TCP and TLS)
- SIP SIMPLE
- NAT traversal by TURN and ICE
- Media-security: SRTP and ZRTP
Video codec support: MPEG-4, Theora, VP8 and H.264 (with a plugin based on x264), with resolutions from QCIF (176×144) to SVGA (800×600) provided that network bandwidth and CPU power are sufficient.
Linphone running on HTC Desire
Linphone 4.1 working on Windows 8 (main screen)
Linphone 4.1 settings on Windows 8
- "Windows Desktop". web site. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- "Linphone". Google Play Store. Retrieved 2020-05-02.
- "Linphone". microsoft store. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Linphone". Archived from the original on 2016-01-13.
- FreeBSD port of Linphone
- Linphone.org » Linphone » Licensing Archived 2013-08-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2018-08-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "LINPHONE, SIP video phone client". Archived from the original on 8 October 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- AndroidTapp.com: Linphone Video, Make Phone Calls over Phone’s Internet without using Minutes
- Ostatic.com: Blog: Bye Bye Skype, Top 3 Free Replacements Archived 2011-11-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Linphone in the Google Play Store
- "Free Sip service". Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Features". Linphone. Retrieved 2019-02-03.
- Linphone.org » Features Archived 2010-07-23 at the Wayback Machine