Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Evan Jackson Leong|
|Produced by||Christopher Chen
James D. Stern
|Narrated by||Daniel Dae Kim|
|Music by||The Newton Brothers|
|Cinematography||Evan Jackson Leong|
|Distributed by||Ketchup Entertainment|
|January 20, 2013 (Sundance)
March 14, 2013 (CAAMFest)
October 4, 2013 (US release)
The film traces Lin's life from his childhood in Palo Alto, California to his rise to prominence in 2012 with the New York Knicks in the National Basketball Association (NBA). It shows him overcoming discouragements and racism and achieving success through his faith and desire. The New York Times wrote that it also offered a rare view of Christianity among Asian Americans. Leong had filmed Lin since he was a star college basketball player at Harvard University and during his early struggles in the NBA. The film is narrated by actor Daniel Dae Kim.
Linsanity premiered to a sold-out screening at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2013. The Los Angeles Times wrote that it received a "rousing response, easily making it one of the most crowd-pleasing documentaries to play the festival this year." Linsanity was the opening night film for the CAAMFest film festival in San Francisico, where it opened to a sellout on March 14. It made its Asian premiere on March 30 in a sold-out screening at the Hong Kong International Film Festival. The film also opened the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival on May 2.
The film's distribution in the United States was being handled by Creative Artists Agency, while Fortissimo Films obtained the international distribution rights. Ketchup Entertainment, LA based distribution company, picked up US distribution rights for Linsanity on July 24, 2013. Stephen Stanley of Ketchup negotiated the deal with Nick Ogiony and Dan Steinman of CAA, Gregory Schenz at Endgame Entertainment and Helen Dooley at Williams & Connolly. The film was shown at art houses, and was subsequently made available for download and DVD.
- Zeitchik, Steven (January 20, 2013). "Sundance 2013: In 'Linsanity,' Jeremy Lin's extraordinary journey". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013.
- Gonzalez Jr., Miguel (March 27, 2013). "Documenting ‘Linsanity’". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- Freedman, Samuel G. (November 15, 2013). "Off the Court, a Film’s Lens on Asian-American Faith". The New York Times. Archived from the original on November 20, 2013.
- Alexander, Bryan (January 25, 2013). "Jeremy Lin to attend Sundance Film Festival". USA Today. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013.
- Lauer-Williams, Kathy (March 25, 2013). "Freedom's Daniel Dae Kim narrates "Linsanity"". The Morning Call. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- "Linsanity Comes to CAAMFest Opening Night". AsianWeek.com. January 31, 2013. Archived from the original on February 14, 2013.
- "CAAMFest Concludes 11 Days of Inspired Storytelling and Innovation in Film, Music and Food". AsianWeek.com. April 1, 2013. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- Kung, Michelle (March 15, 2013). "‘Linsanity’ Hits the Big Screen". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- Chan, Yuan-Kwan (March 28, 2013). ""Linsanity" – 2013 Hong Kong International Film Festival Review". Meniscus. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- King, Susan (April 1, 2013). "'Linsanity' opens 29th Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on April 8, 2013.
- Chau, Elizabeth (February 12, 2013). "Fortissimo Films secures the global rights to Linsanity". asiapacificarts.usc.edu. Archived from the original on February 22, 2013.
- McNary, Dave (July 24, 2013). "Jeremy Lin’s ‘Linsanity’ Documentary Gets Distribution". Variety Magazine. Archived from the original on August 19, 2013.