A BLR train crosses Maple Road near the former Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad station north of the current stop
|Location||595 Camp Meade Road
Linthicum Heights, Maryland 21090
|Owned by||Maryland Transit Administration|
|Line(s)||Baltimore Light Rail|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
Linthicum station is a Baltimore Light Rail station in Linthicum Heights, Maryland. This station is the last station on the light rail's trunk line; southbound trains depart onto branches to BWI Marshall Airport station and Cromwell station. There is currently no free public parking or bus connections at this station.
Linthicum station uses a railroad line formerly served by the Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad. It is accessible from a long crosswalk across from the intersection of Camp Meade Road (MD 170) and Benton Avenue, and the Linthicum Volunteer Fire Company(Station #32). Another crosswalk to the station leads to Oakdale Road on the opposite side of the tracks. The station reopened again in 1993, and the spur to Marshall Airport was created in 1997.
Ridership at the station averages 372 people daily, 67% of whom are transfers to either BWI Airport or Cromwell station. Only 33% of riders are "walk-ups" from the surrounding neighborhood, according to a 2011-2012 study funded by the MTA.
There is an effort to close this station due to the crime the station is alleged to bring to its community, including an attempted murder. While MTA has not considered closing the station, other actions have been taken or considered. These include the placement of a call box where riders can alert police when in need, additional security cameras, and the early closing of the station at 8 pm. Early attempts to have this stop close date back to 1994.
|Side platform, doors open on right|
|← Southbound toward BWI Marshall Airport. Next stop: BWI Business District.|
|← Southbound toward Cromwell. Next stop: Ferndale.|
|Northbound toward Hunt Valley. Next stop: North Linthicum →|
|Side platform, doors open on left|
- "Station list". Archived from the original on June 13, 2008.
- "MTA won't close Linthicum rail station". Maryland Gazette. May 26, 2012. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "Group Pushes For Light Rail Station Shutdown". WBAL-TV. March 7, 2011. Archived from the original on March 9, 2011. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Siegel, Andrea F. (May 5, 2011). "Some Linthicum residents want to close light rail station over crime". The Baltimore Sun. The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- "County To Install Call Box At Linthicum Light Rail Stop". LINTHICUM, Md. May 5, 2011. Archived from the original on March 15, 2012. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Hartley, Eric (May 10, 2011). "Eric Hartley: Fear rides the light rails". Hometown Annapolis. Retrieved May 16, 2011.