This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Inconsistent citation style, too many trivia sections. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Desktop of Linux Lite 4.2 with Lite Terminal
|Source model||Open source and closed source|
|Initial release||Linux Lite 1.0.0 / October 26, 2012|
|Latest release||4.2 / 1 November 2018|
|Marketing target||Linux beginners; Windows users|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||Xfce|
|License||Mainly GPL and other free software licenses, minor additions of proprietary|
Linux Lite is a Linux distribution, based on Debian and Ubuntu and created by a team led by Jerry Bezencon. The distribution offers a lightweight desktop experience with a customized Xfce Desktop environment. It includes a set of Lite application to make the life easier for a novice Linux user.
Linux Lite is a 'gateway operating system'. It was created to make the transition from Windows to a Linux based operating system as smooth as possible. Linux Lite follows the Unix philosophy in regards to software selection and programming as it applies to the modern era - Write programs that do one thing and do it well.
The distribution is based on the Ubuntu LTS series of releases. LTS stands for Long Term Support, which means each release has a support period of 5 years. This means that a major update is only required once every 5 years. During that period the operating system will continue to receive updates.
- CPU: 1Ghz processor
- RAM: 768MB ram
- STORAGE: 8gb
- RESOLUTION: VGA screen 1024x768 resolution
- MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image
- CPU: 1.5GHz processor
- RAM: 1024MB ram
- STORAGE: 20gb
- RESOLUTION: VGA, DVI or HDMI screen 1366x768
- MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image
Linux Lite aims to provide a sense of familiarity to Windows users by providing the same software available for Windows computers.
The following software is included as part of the operating system:
The following software additional to the operating system is offered:
- Chromium (web browser)
- Dropbox (service)
- Kodi (software)
- Skype (64-bit only)
- Steam (software)
- Tor (anonymity network)#Tor Browser
Linux Lite began in 2013 with the release of Linux Lite 1.0.0, code-named "Amethyst", based on Ubuntu. It was initially developed and designed to attract Windows users to a Linux based operating system. The idea was to dispel myths that Linux was hard to use.
Linux Lite started out with a number system made up of the following - 1.0.0 The '1' represented the base code from Ubuntu i.e. '1' meant the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS base. The second number '0' represented the interim Ubuntu LTS release i.e. '0' meant 12.04.1 The third number '0' represented any point releases thereafter. For the 2.x Series, the third number was dropped as point releases were not required.
|Version||Release date||Codename||End-of-life date||Based on|
|4.6||1 September 2019||Diamond||April 2023||Ubuntu 18.04 LTS|
|4.4||1 April 2019||Diamond||April 2023||Ubuntu 18.04 LTS|
|4.2||1 November 2018|
|4.0||1 June 2018|
|3.8||1 February 2018||Citrine||April 2021||Ubuntu 16.04 LTS|
|3.6||1 September 2017|
|3.4||1 April 2017|
|3.2||1 November 2016|
|3.0||1 June 2016|
|2.8||1 February 2016||Beryl||April 2019||Ubuntu 14.04 LTS|
|2.6||1 September 2015|
|2.4||1 April 2015|
|2.2||1 December 2014|
|2.0||1 June 2014|
|1.0.8||17 January 2014||Amethyst||April 2017||Ubuntu 12.04 LTS|
|1.0.6||24 June 2013|
|1.0.4||12 February 2013|
|1.0.2||25 November 2012|
|1.0||26 October 2012|
Software developed by Linux Lite
- Lite Info: an application that retrieves hardware information from the users computer and shares it with the community.
- Lite Kernel: custom built Linux Kernel (operating system) built by Linux Lite.
- Lite Manual: a user guide written to assist users to operate their Linux Lite computer.
- Lite Software: offers additional, familiar software for users to install.
- Lite Themes: a complete package containing, system, icon, font and mouse themes.
- Lite Tweaks: a utility to provide users the ability to clean and fix their system.
- Lite Upgrade: provides a way for users to update their system.
- Lite User Manager: add and remove users.
- Lite Welcome: a dialogue window that appears when a users computer boots for the first time.
- Linux Lite 1.0.0 Release Date
- "Distribution Release: Linux Lite 1.0.0 (DistroWatch.com News)". DistroWatch. 26 October 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Linux Download | Download Linux Lite Free Linux Operating System
- Linux Lite 4.2 Final Released
- Jerry Bezencon interview
- Bezencon, Jerry. "Free Operating System - Linux Lite". www.linuxliteos.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "LTS - Ubuntu Wiki". wiki.ubuntu.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Minimum Recommended Specifications
- Preferred Specifications
- "Linux Lite 1.0.0 "Amethyst"".
- "Linux Lite 2.x Releases".
- "Linux Lite 4.2 Final Released". www.linuxliteos.com. Retrieved 2018-11-10.
- DistroWatch. "Distribution Release: Linux Lite 4.2 (DistroWatch.com News)". distrowatch.com. Retrieved 2018-11-10.
- Linux Lite 4.0 Beta Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 4.0 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Lightweight Distribution Linux Lite 4.0 Released With Brand New Look | It's FOSS
- Linux Lite 4.0 OS Enters Beta with New Look and Feel, Based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Softpedia News
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 771, 9 July 2018
- Linux Lite 4.0 Released, Linux Foundation's Acumos AI Challenge, Fedora 29 Bootloader Debate and More | Linux Journal
- Linux Lite 4.0 OS Enters Beta with New Look and Feel, Based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS | Full Circle Magazine
- Linux Lite 3.8 Release Date
- Linux Lite 3.6 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 3.6
- Linux Lite 3.6 Operating System Launches Officially Based on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, Softpedia News
- Linux Lite 3.4 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 3.4 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite 3.4 Released With New Features — Download Torrent And ISO Files Here, Fossbytes
- Linux Lite 3.2 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 3.2 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite 3.2 Beta Released With Lite Desktop Widget, Fossbytes
- Linux Lite 3.0 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 3.0 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite 3.0 Released, It's FOSS
- Linux Lite 3: The Ideal Platform for Old Hardware and New Users | Linux.com | The source for Linux information
- An Everyday Linux User Review Of Linux Lite 3.0
- New Linux Lite Is a Powerhouse Distro in Disguise | Reviews | LinuxInsider
- Linux Lite 2.8 Final Released
- Linux Lite 2.8 Beta Arrives with Btrfs Support and New Linux Kernel, Softpedia News
- Linux Lite 2.6 Final Released
- Linux Lite 2.6 Enters Beta with LibreOffice 5.0 and New Control Center, Based on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
- An Everyday Linux User Review Of Linux Lite 2.6
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 632, 19 October 2015
- Linux Lite 2.4 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 2.4 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite 2.4 Officially Released with Support for Microsoft’s exFAT File System - Screenshot Tour
- Linux Lite 2.2 Final Released
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 2.2
- Linux Lite 2.2 Review – Consumes Low Memory, But Failed to Wake My PC from Sleep, Hectic Geek
- Linux Lite 2.0 Final Released
- Linux Lite 1.0.8 Final released - Linux Distro Community Forum
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 1.0.8 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite 1.0.6 Final released - Linux Distro Community Forum
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 1.0.6 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Linux Lite Is Heavy on Feature and Usability | Reviews | LinuxInsider
- Linux Lite 1.0.4 Final Released - Linux Distro Community Forum
- Distribution Release: Linux Lite 1.0.2 (DistroWatch.com News)
- "Linux Lite Hardware Database". Linux Lite Hardware Database.
- "Linux Lite Help Manual". Linux Lite Help Manual.
- "Lite Software". Lite Software.
- "Lite Themes". Lite Themes.
- "Lite Tweaks". Lite Tweaks.
- "Lite User Manager". Lite User Manager.
- Wallen, Jack (2016-07-08). "Linux Lite 3: The Ideal Platform for Old Hardware and New Users". Linux.com. Archived from the original on 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- Holm, Joshua Allen (2016-07-18). "Review: Linux Lite 3.0". Distrowatch. Archived from the original on 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- Noyes, Katherine (2012-10-26). "For a beginner-friendly distro, try Linux Lite 1.0.0". PC World. Archived from the original on 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- Stahie, Silviu (2012-10-29). "Linux Lite 1.0.0 Amethyst, a Fast Distro for the Masses [Screenshot Tour]". Softpedia. Archived from the original on 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- Germain, Jack M. (2013-10-24). "Linux Lite Is Heavy on Features and Usability". Linux Insider. Archived from the original on 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- Nestor, Marius (2016-02-01). "Linux Lite Editor's Review". Softpedia. Archived from the original on 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "Linux Lite". Chip. Retrieved 18 February 2016.