|Hosted by||Fabian Scherschel and Dan Lynch|
|Genre||Talk show (Linux, Free and open source software)|
|Updates||Varies (Recording on Monday, for release ~7 days later)|
|Audio format||Ogg Vorbis, MP3|
|Debut||5 September 2007|
|End date||29 December 2014|
Linux Outlaws was a Linux news and technology podcast produced by Sixgun Productions and hosted by Fabian Scherschel and Dan Lynch. The show was based in England, UK, has a community forum and multiple social network accounts dedicated to fostering inter-communication among fans.
Fabian Scherschel is a journalist at Heise Verlag in Hannover, Germany. He originally was a system administrator in Bonn. Later on he worked for a while for H-online in London. Fab also co-hosts a Warhammer 40,000 podcast, Angels of Death, with David Megins-Nicholas.
Dan Lynch is a programmer, musician, and producer from Merseyside, UK. He formerly worked for the NHS as a .NET developer before turning his back on Microsoft technologies to become an open source enthusiast.
Each episode generally has a global download count of over 20000 and is often presented with both a serious attitude and a humorous bent. Both Dan and Fabian are described as "down to earth, normal, everyday people" by listeners and reviewers alike. The presenters claim not to be Linux experts, but only to be trying very hard to provide listeners with a good time, entertainment, and interesting Linux-related information.
Linux Outlaws is segment-based, and focuses the show on discussion of various topics throughout the show. Regular features include News and Releases, a look at recent development in free culture and at new releases of Linux distributions and notable pieces of free software. Episode 43 saw the introduction of a Micro-watch sub-segment, concentrating on Microsoft-related news. The Linux Outlaws show aims to broadcast live on YouTube most Monday nights (7 p.m. UTC), but they are always late.
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback includes content from both presenters and listeners. Other segments include Tip of the Week and Beer of the Week, where Fabian recommends a brand of beer.
The first episode of Linux Outlaws was 5 September 2007. At the time both Dan and Fab were also hosting another Podcast Rathole radio. As Stefano Forenza says on his website "you know you’re someone when you get cited twice in a single episode of LinuxOutlaws". Dan revived the name Rat Hole Radio as a music podcast in 2009.
Linux Outlaws is recorded simultaneously by the presenters in their respective homes - Hanover and Merseyside, England - and published in both the Ogg Vorbis and MP3 formats. The process involves recordings made by each presenter on his own machine, as well as a backup analogue recording by Fabian. Recordings are usually made on Monday in a live show, using IRC and releases of the show usually occur on Wednesday. Some changes in schedule may occur when a special show is released, such as an interview.
List of episodes
Linux Outlaws reached their 100th Episode on 6 July 2009.
They reached their 200th Episode on 10 April 2011.
They reached their 300th Episode on 17 February 2013.
Their 370th and final Episode was released on 29 December 2014.
- Fabian Scherschel
- 20lb Sounds
- Free as in Freedom
- "Linux Outlaws Podcast - Great for people wanting to get into Linux". Archived from the original on 14 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "pyr02k1.com". Archived from the original on 10 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "Linux Outlaws 43". Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Linux Outlaws 35". Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Linux Outlaws 40". Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Rathole Radio - the original podcast Archived 8 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Did you know LinuxOutlaws?". Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Rat Hole Radio - homepage of the new podcast
- "Disaster Strikes". Archived from the original on 2008-06-04. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "LinuxFormat". LF. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "TLLTS". TLLTS. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "GoingLinux". GoingLinux. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Jono Bacon Blog". Jono Bacon Community Manager. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Download Podcats from Podcast Alley". Podcast Alley. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Adventures in Open Source". Dan Lynch. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "The Software Freedom Law Center Podcast". Bradley M. Kuhn and Karen Sandler. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "The Linux Link". Linc, Allen, Dann Washko. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Linux Outlaws home page
- YouTube channel
- Fab, Linux Outlaws Podcaster - interview on the site of Fedora.