This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
|Industry||Language localization |
|Founded||Waltham, Massachusetts, US (1996)|
|Headquarters||Waltham, Massachusetts, US|
|John Fennelly, CEO|
Number of employees
Lionbridge Technologies, Inc. is a multinational software and professional services company specializing in language translation, localization, software testing, e-learning translation, internationalization, interpretation, software development & testing, and content development services. Lionbridge was acquired by H.I.G. Capital in 2017 and subsequently It was delisted from Nasdaq. Lionbridge is now a privately-held company and part of the portfolio of H.I.G. companies. In CSA Research's 12th annual global industry report in 2016, Lionbridge was ranked number 1 company among "Top 100 Language Service Providers". It again topped the list in 2017 but was placed second in 2018 list by CSA Research.
The company was founded in 1996. In 2005, they acquired Bowne Global Solutions, then the largest localization provider[clarification needed] worldwide. They acquired Darwin Zone, a digital marketing services agency based in Costa Rica, and Clay Tablet Technologies, a content connectivity[clarification needed] software firm, in 2014.
In 2015, they acquired Zurich-based CLS Communication, a translation services provider, and Geotext, a legal translation company. In December 2016, it was announced that Lionbridge entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by H.I.G. Capital. The deal was announced closed in May, 2017.
Lionbridge provides software and service solutions for language translation purposes. It has operations in 28 countries including Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Slovakia, Poland, France, Spain, United Kingdom, Germany, Denmark, Taiwan, United States of America, Canada, Brazil, Costa Rica, South Korea, Thailand, China, Sweden, Japan, and India.
A securities class action lawsuit involving the company was filed in July 2001 under "Samet v. Lionbridge Technologies, Inc. et al." in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
In 2006, a Lionbridge employee was awarded noneconomic damages of USD 366,250 and economic damages of USD 221,433 due to failure by the company to fulfil its obligation to help the employee obtain a green card.
A 2008 court case involved an unfair dismissal claim by a former Lionbridge employee fired for union recruitment activities at the company's Warsaw office to protect employment conditions. Protests in support were held in Denmark, Spain, Poland, and Ireland.
Awards and recognition
Every year since 2006, Lionbridge has been named a Top 20 Training Outsourcing Company.
- 2008 - Chosen by Microsoft as "Vendor of the Year" for providing Microsoft with "development, test and globalization services worldwide"
- 2012 - Named in the "Global 100", a list of the world's best outsourcing firms, by the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals
- 2012 - Lionbridge's GeoFluent received 2011 Product of the Year Award from Customer Interaction Solutions Magazine
- 2013 - Finalist in the third annual Marketo Revenue Performance Excellence Awards
- 2015 - Named One of America's 100 Most Trustworthy Companies by Forbes
- 2015 - Listed as the world's number one language services provider by Common Sense Advisory
- 2016 - Received CUSTOMER Magazine Product of the Year Award
- "Lionbridge Announces Appointment of John Fennelly as CEO; Founder Rory Cowan to Assume Role of Chairman of the Board". Cision PR Newswire.
- "Lionbridge Announces Stockholder Approval and Closing of Acquisition by H.I.G. Capital". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "H.I.G. Capital Completes Acquisition of Lionbridge Technologies". Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Lionbridge Enters into a Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by H.I.G. Capital". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "2016 largest LSPs". www.commonsenseadvisory.com. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- "csa" (PDF).
- "Top 100 LSPs 2018 - CSA Research". www.commonsenseadvisory.com. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "TAUS Members". Taus.net.
- Bert Esselink (2003). The Evolution of Localization (PDF). Guide to Localization. Multilingual Computing and Technology. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-09-07.
- "Lionbridge Completes Acquisition of Bowne Global Solutions". PRNewswire.
- "Lionbridge Acquires Costa Rica's Darwin Zone". nearshoreamericas.com.
- "Lionbridge Protects Its Connectivity Strategy with Purchase of Middleware Provider". Common Sense Advisory.
- "Lionbridge Technologies (LIOX) Completes CLS Communication Acquisition". streetinsider.com.
- "Lionbridge to Buy CLS Communication as Market Consolidation Continues". Common Sense Advisory.
- "CLS Communication". aihitdata.com.
- "Lionbridge acquires Geotext Translations for $11M". owler.com.
- "Lionbridge Enters into a Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by H.I.G. Capital". prnewswire.com.
- "H.I.G. Capital closes Lionbridge Tech buy - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "Lionbridge Will Be a 'Very Different Company', Says CEO John Fennelly". Slator. 2018-01-23. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Rory Cowan: Getting the Pace Right". TAUS blog. 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Lionbridge Locations | Office Directory". www.lionbridge.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Lionbridge Technologies, Inc". Stanford Law School Securities Class Action Clearinghouse. Stanford Law School. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- John Rotterman, Esq. (2007). "DerKevorkian v. Lionbridge Techs, Inc". Immigration Daily. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Interpretation service picketed by trade unions, activists". Metro Eireann. 10 July 2008. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "ITIA Bulletin February 2008". Irish Translators and Interpreters Association Bulletin. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Outsourcing". trainingindustry.com.
- "Microsoft Recognizes Winners of Annual MSVP Awards". Microsoft News Center.
- "The 2012 Global Outsourcing 100". iaop.org.
- "Lionbridge GeoFluent Receives 2011 Product of the Year Award from Customer Interaction Solutions Magazine". bizjournals.com.
- "Marketo Announces 2013 "Revvie" Award Finalists". marketo.com.
- "The 100 Most Trustworthy Companies In America". Forbes.
- "The Language Services Market: 2015". Common Sense Advisory.
- "TMC Presents the CUSTOMER Product of the Year Award Winners". Technology Marketing Corporation.