He was born 2 November 1874 and educated at Lancing College and Clare College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1890, he began his ecclesiastical career with a curacies at All Saints, Leamington and St Martin Potternewton. After this he was Vicar of St Wilfrid’s, Bradford then Rural Dean of Portsmouth. From 1922 to 1936 he was Archdeacon of Surrey and from 1930 also Canon Residentiary at Guildford Cathedral. He was Dean of Ely from 1936 to 1950. He died on 4 August 1951.
His brother was Dean of Bristol and nephew Bishop of Thetford.
- National Church Institutions Database of Manuscripts and Archives
- “Who was Who”1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "Blackburne, Lionel Edward (BLKN895LE)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, John Phillips, 1900
- Church web-site Archived 2010-04-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- New Dean Of Ely Archdeacon Blackburne Appointed The Times Wednesday, Feb 05, 1936; pg. 12; Issue 47290; col B
- Obituary The Very Rev. L. E. Blackburne The Times Monday, Aug 06, 1951; pg. 6; Issue 52072; col E
|Church of England titles|
Alexander Francis Kirkpatrick
|Dean of Ely
1936 – 1950
Cyril Patrick Hankey