November 10, 1980|
Albany, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Albany (Albany, New York)|
|NBA draft||2004 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Los Angeles Clippers|
|2004–2005||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2007||Basket CAI Zaragoza|
|2008–2009||Universitet Yugra Surgut|
|Career highlights and awards|
Lionel Chalmers, Jr. (born November 10, 1980) is an American retired professional basketball player who last played for Gediz Üniversitesi of the Turkish Basketball First League. He is 6'0" (1.83 m) in height and plays at the point guard position.
Chalmers attended Xavier University, where he played college basketball for four years as an undergraduate and later as a graduate student. As a senior, he led Xavier to the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament. He was inducted into the Xavier University Athletic Hall of Fame in 2015.
Chalmers was drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round of the 2004 NBA Draft with the 33rd overall pick. He played in 34 games in the 2004–05 season with the Clippers, averaging 3.1 points per game and 1.4 assists per game in 12.0 minutes per game. He was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves on August 20, 2005 along with Marko Jaric in exchange for Sam Cassell. He played for the Timberwolves in the 2005–06 NBA preseason, but he was released into free agency before the regular season commenced.
He played with the Phoenix Suns' summer league team during the summer of 2006, but he was not retained by the Suns. He also played for the Atlanta Hawks during the 2006 preseason. After the Hawks waived him before the regular season began, Chalmers signed with Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari of the Italian second division in December 2006. In May 2007, he signed with the Spanish ACB club Basket CAI Zaragoza.
In July 2007, he moved to the Italian first division team Benetton Treviso. After spending a season in Italy, he signed with the Russian club Universitet Yugra Surgut. He had a successful season in Surgut, as he was the top scorer of the Russian Basketball Super League with 21.4 points per game. In the 2009-10 season he played with another Super League club, Enisey Krasnoyarsk.In July 2010 he signed with BC Lokomotiv Kuban. In 2012, he joined Aliağa Petkim of Turkey. In October 2013, he signed a one-year deal with Levski Sofia. With them he won the National Basketball League of Bulgaria.
Lionel's cousin, Mario Chalmers, formerly of the Kansas Jayhawks, was picked in the second round of the 2008 NBA Draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was later traded to the Miami Heat, with whom he won 2 consecutive NBA championships.
- "Xavier Athletics 2015-16 Hall of Fame Class Announced" Xavier Athletics. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- 'Sam I Am' to bring playoff experience to Clippers
- HoopsHype - NBA Players - Lionel Chalmers.
- Kerr takes shot today with Hill.
- Tracy Graven (2006-12-07). "In Development, December 4–7, 2006". Hoopsworld.com. Archived from the original on 2007-04-03. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- "Euro Basket - Spanish Basket". Eurobasket.net. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-06-11.
- Lokomotiv Kuban signs Lionel Chalmers to a one-year contract
- Lionel Chalmers. Eurobasket
- "Lionel Chalmers signs with Levski Sofia". Sportando.net. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Lionel CHALMERS signe au CCRB" (in French). ccrbasket.com. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Lionel Chalmers, Chalons-Reims part ways
- HEAT Acquire Draft Rights To Mario Chalmers