Lior Ashkenazi in 2006
Ashkenazi was born in Ramat Gan, Israel, and grew up in its Neveh Yehoshua neighborhood. His parents are Sephardi Jewish emigrants from Istanbul, Turkey, who moved to Israel in 1964. His father, Shmuel, worked as a printer. His mother, Victoria, was a housewife. His parents spoke Ladino at home, and it was his first language. At the age of 16, in the wake of problems in school, he moved to Kibbutz Regavim.
He studied acting at Beit Zvi. After graduating in 1994, he worked for Habima and Beersheba Theater. He starred in many plays at Beit Lessin Theater under the direction of Zipi Pines, one of his teachers at Beit Zvi. He also appeared with the Cameri Theater in Tel Aviv, although Beit Lessin remained his home base. His breakout role came in Late Marriage alongside Ronit Elkabetz in 2001.
In 2016 he appeared alongside Hollywood actor, Richard Gere in the critically acclaimed political drama, Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer. Ashkenazi won an Ophir Award for Best Lead Actor for his performance in the 2017 film, Foxtrot, Israel's entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 90th Academy Awards.
Ashkenazi was first married to actress Shira Farber, with whom he had his first daughter. After his divorce, he had a relationship with playwright and screenwriter Sigal Avin. In December 2011, he married producer Maya Amsellem. They had a daughter in August 2012.
|1996||Pocahontas||Kocoum (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|1998||Mulan||Captain Li Shang (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|1999||Tarzan||Adult Tarzan (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|2001||Late Marriage (Hatuna Meuheret)||Zaza|
|2003||Rutenberg (Ish HaHashmal, Electricity Man)||Leonard|
|2004||Walk on Water (Lalechet Al HaMaim)||Eyal|
|Home on the Range||Buck Horse (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|2005||Mulan II||Captain Lee Shang (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|2006||The Bubble (HaBuah)||Himself||Cameo|
|2008||Bolt||Bolt (voice)||Hebrew dub|
|Hello Goodbye||Yossi||French film|
|2010||Rabies (Kalevet)||Danny||The first horror feature ever from Israel|
|2013||Big Bad Wolves||Micki|
|2014||The Dune||Hanoch||French fim|
|2016||Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer||Micha Eshel|
|2018||7 Days in Entebbe||Yitzhak Rabin|
|2012||Nesuuim plus||Shuky Avrahami||Hebrew version of Married with children (his character based on Al Bundy|
|2013||The Missionary||Yonatan Gall||TV pilot|
|2016||Ikaron HaHachlafa||Atlas||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2001||Israeli Film Academy||Best Actor||Late Marriage||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Rutenberg (Ish HaHashmal)||Nominated|
|2004||Best Actor||Walk on Water||Nominated|||
|2011||Best Supporting Actor||Footnote||Won|
|2015||Fangoria Chainsaw Awards||Best Actor||Big Bad Wolves||Nominated|||
- Culture (2018-03-28). "Lior Ashkenazi Goes International". Jewishjournal.com. Retrieved 2018-08-15.
- The Naked Truth, Haaretz
- Shooting Star Haaretz. 18 August 2005
- Hollywood Press Praises New Israeli Films 'Norman,' 'Past Life' Haaretz. 18 September 2016
- To Culture Minster's Horror, 'Foxtrot' Wins Highest Award at 'Israeli Oscars' Haaretz. 19 September 2017
- Kamin, Debra (19 September 2017). "Israel's 'Foxtrot' Sweeps Ophir Awards to Become Country's Oscar Entry". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- Israeli Actor Lior Ashkenazi to Play Lead Role in L.A. Shakespeare Play Haaretz. 16 September 2018
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-10. Retrieved 2013-02-06. JFilm Festival presents: Rabies (Winner - Best Feature - Mile High Horror Film Festival)
- Big Bad Wolves official facebook
- Big Bad Wolves on IMDb
- Lior Ashkenazi, Biography. Omanoot Archived January 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- For Your Consideration: The 2015 Chainsaw Award Nominees for Best Actor!
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lior Ashkenazi.|