|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Lip liner, also known as lip pencil, is a cosmetic product. It is intended to fill uneven areas on the outer edges of the lips after applying lipstick, therefore giving a smooth shape. It is also used to outline the lips, keeping lipstick inside the lip area and preventing it from "bleeding", therefore creating a bigger contrast and making the lips stand out more. Alternatively, lip liner can be used to fill in the entire lip before the application of lipstick and in some cases, worn as a lipstick on its own. The product is usually sold in a retractable tube or pencil form which can be sharpened. Lip liner is usually available in the same range of colors as lipsticks: e.g., reds, pinks, browns, plums, etc. Lip liner also comes in invisible, for giving the illusion of smooth lips without adding or affecting color.
Like lipstick, lip liner is composed of waxes, oils, and pigments. Compared to lipstick, lip liners are firmer in consistency and deeply pigmented, making them suitable for drawing on to the lip with precision. For these reasons, lip liners have less oils and more waxes and pigments than a lipsticks. A popular wax is Japan wax.
- J. Cunningham "Color cosmetics" in Chemistry and Technology of the Cosmetics and Toiletries Industry Editors D. F. Williams, Mr W. H. Schmitt. Springer. ISBN 978-94-010-7194-9 (Print)
- "Chanel Le Crayon Lèvres Precision Lip Definer". www.totalbeauty.com. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "Dior Contour Lipliner Pencil". www.paulaschoice.com. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "The Beauty Look Book: Marc Jacobs (P)outliner Longwear Lip Pencil". www.thebeautylookbook.com. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "13 Best Lip Liners". TotalBeauty. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
|This fashion-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|