|Origin||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Labels||Casablanca Records, Phonogram, Polydor, Polyfar, PolyGram|
|Past members||Cynthia Johnson|
Lipps Inc. (/ / lip-sink) was an American disco and funk group from Minneapolis, Minnesota. The group was best known for the chart-topping 1980 worldwide hit single "Funkytown" which hit No. 1 in 28 different countries around the world and was certified as double-platinum in sales.
The group originally consisted of lead vocalist Cynthia Johnson and a changing lineup of session musicians including guitarist David Rivkin, guitarist Tom Riopelle and bassist Terry Grant. Steven Greenberg, the creator of the act, wrote and produced most of the group's music.
Lipps Inc. started as a project of Steven Greenberg, at the time a wedding DJ who wanted to try his hand at writing disco songs. He had intended to use the name "Lip Sync," but it was already in use by another group, so instead, he chose the homophone "Lipps, Inc." Greenberg was the sole member of the group until he met Cynthia Johnson while auditioning singers for his song "Rock It". Johnson subsequently joined the project and Lipps Inc. became a duo.
The second single from this album, "Funkytown", spent four weeks at #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play charts in the United States. The 7" single sold over two million copies within a few months and was awarded a platinum record within the same year of its release. It reached #2 in the United Kingdom and was a hit throughout the world.
Lipps Inc.'s later singles failed to match the band's initial success (the only other Hot 100 entry was "Rock It" which peaked at #64). However, more dance hits were released throughout the 1980s including "How Long" in 1981 (originally a hit for Ace) which reached #4 on the U.S. dance chart. After the third album Designer Music, Johnson left the band and was replaced by Margie Cox and Melanie Rosales. Lipps Inc. released its final album 4 in 1983 before disbanding two years later.
Awards and recognitions
- Three Billboard Music Awards, 1980
- Platinum and Double-Platinum Status with Funkytown
- Inductee into Minnesota Music Hall of Fame
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
|Mouth to Mouth||1979||5||5||57||7||12||11||23||21||10|
|"—" shows the album did not chart or did not have a release in that chart's country.|
|Funkyworld: The Best of Lipps, Inc.||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
|"All Night Dancing"||1981||—||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"There They Are"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Addicted to the Night"||—||8||78||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Hold Me Down"||1983||—||11||70||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Hit the Deck"||—||32||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Does Anybody Know"||1984||—||32||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- List of artists who reached number one in the United States
- List of artists who reached number one on the U.S. dance chart
- Huey, Steve. "Lipps, Inc. – Artist Biography". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- "Cynthia Johnson - Bio". Cynthiajohnson.net. Archived from the original on September 16, 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-12-10. Retrieved 2019-01-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Swensson, Andrea. "Steven Greenberg talks about creating Lipps, Inc. and writing 'Funkytown'". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Allmusic - Funkytown Charting
- UK Charts Search 'Funkytown'
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 178. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Discographie Lipps, Inc. (in German). austriancharts.at. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- RPM search results for "Lipps Inc.". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Accessed on August 11, 2013.
- Suche nach "Lipps, Inc." (Album) (in German). charts.de. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- Discografie Lipps, Inc. (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- Discography Lipps, Inc. norwegiancharts.com. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- Discography Lipps, Inc. swedishcharts.com. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- https://www.billboard.com/music/lipps-inc-1 ”
- Suche nach "Lipps, Inc." (Single) (in German). charts.de. Accessed on August 10, 2013.
- "LIPPS INC | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 8 August 2018.