Lips of an Angel
|"Lips of an Angel"|
|Single by Hinder|
|from the album Extreme Behavior|
|Released||July 24, 2006 (U.S.)|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Hard rock, post-grunge|
|Writer(s)||Austin Winkler, Cody Hanson, Brian Howes, Rey Casiano|
|Certification||3× Platinum (RIAA)
Platinum (ARIA, RIANZ)
|Hinder singles chronology|
"Lips of an Angel" is a 2005 power ballad by the American rock band Hinder written by Brian Howes, Rey Casiano, Austin Winkler and Cody Hanson. It was released as the second single from their album Extreme Behavior. It was their breakthrough hit, charting in the top ten on several Billboard trade charts in the United States, and reaching number one in several countries. A second cover version was released in early 2007 by country music artist Jack Ingram. His version, which was his third Top 40 country hit, peaked in the top 20 on the Billboard country music charts.
The lyrics deal with the singer describing his feelings when his favored girlfriend from his past calls late at night, somewhat pleasantly interrupting his current relationship. More than once, a reference to the call being secret is made, and the singer expresses concern of a fight ensuing as a result. The song concludes just as it began, with the singer questioning to why she is calling so late, though the second (and last) time it is less literal and more figurative, with the underlying meaning "so late" not at night, but way too late in life; unable to continue the previous relationship. The song ends with the plot unresolved. According to a radio interview done in Atlanta, Georgia the lyrics are loosely based on an actual phone call incident that did happen.
On January 22, 2007, "Lips of an Angel" took over the number one spot on the Canadian BDS chart from The Killers. A week later, it took over the number one spot on Australia's ARIA Singles Chart from Evermore.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Lips of an Angel" – 4:21
- CD single
- "Lips of an Angel" – 4:21
- "By the Way" (acoustic) – 3:34
- "Bliss (I Don't Wanna Know)" (acoustic) – 3:45
- "Oye there you go"
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||62|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||31|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||98|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||1|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||48|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||3|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Top 40||1|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||18|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Top 40||3|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Billboard Hot 100||46|
|Australian Singles Chart||5|
Jack Ingram version
|"Lips of an Angel"|
|Single by Jack Ingram|
|from the album This Is It|
|Released||December 11, 2006|
|Genre||Country, adult alternative|
|Jack Ingram singles chronology|
Country music artist Jack Ingram released a version of the song in December 2006. Ingram's version, the lead-off single to his 2007 album This Is It, reached a peak of number 16 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in April 2007.
Regarding his cover of this song, Ingram gave an explanation in the liner notes of This Is It:
"I heard this song on the radio. I think it's a killer song. I thought we could give it another feel and do it justice. A good song is a good song. I'll let other people choose sides between what genre is what genre and who should stay inside which box. I think there are two kinds of music: good and bad. I try to stay on the right side. Besides, who hasn't felt this way at some point in their life? Don't lie."
Premiering in early 2007, the music video for "Lips of an Angel" was directed by Shaun Silva and largely follows the narrative of the song's lyrics, focusing on a late night phone call between the raconteur (Austin Winkler) and his former lover (Emmanuelle Chriqui).
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Billboard Hot 100||77|
|US Billboard Pop 100||87|
- List of number-one singles in Australia in 2007
- List of number-one singles in 2007 (New Zealand)
- List of Mainstream Top 40 number-one hits of 2006 (U.S.)
- "Australian-charts.com – Hinder – Lips of an Angel". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Hinder – Lips of an Angel" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Hinder – Lips of an Angel" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Hinder – Lips of an Angel". Top 40 Singles.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200647 into search.
- "Lips Of An Angel by Jack Ingram". Yahoo!. 2007. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- This Is It (CD). Jack Ingram. Big Machine Records. 2007. BMR130602.
- "Jack Ingram Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jack Ingram.
- "Jack Ingram Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jack Ingram.