Lipstick (Jedward song)
|Single by Jedward|
|from the album Victory/ Planet Jedward (International version)|
|Released||12 February 2011|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
2:55 (Radio Edit)
|Label||Universal Music Group|
|Writer(s)||Dan Priddy, Lars Halvor Jensen, Martin M. Larsson|
|Jedward singles chronology|
"Lipstick" is a song by Irish pop duo Jedward. It is written by Danish songwriters Lars Jensen and Martin Larsson and UK lyricist Dan Priddy. It is Jedward's third single and the first song released from their second studio album, Victory and is best known as Ireland's entry at the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 held in Düsseldorf, Germany.
"Lipstick" was recorded during December 2010 and January 2011 and was selected as Ireland's Eurovision entry on 11 February 2011, following the performance of five songs on the Irish national selection heat. A digital release of the single was made available the following day, with a physical release of the single appearing on 28 February.
The song was performed live in the second half of the second Eurovision semi-final on 12 May. Jedward qualified for the final, which took place on 14 May. They performed in sixth position on the night and finished 8th out of the 25 competing countries, giving Ireland its best result in eleven years. They received 12 points from the United Kingdom, Denmark & Sweden. In Australia's separate TV voting it was voted the most popular song.
The song is notable for being the duo's first original song, as their debut album consisted entirely of cover songs and medleys. The duo performed the song on The Late Late Show[specify] on 12 February 2011. They also performed part of the song on Britain's Got Talent 2011 during the live semi-finals.
There are two music videos for "Lipstick". The first was produced by broadcaster RTÉ as part of the official Eurovision entry. It includes animated photos of John and Edward, and footage from the Eurosong performance of "Lipstick". The second video (known as the Paris version) was made by John and Edward themselves while on holiday in Paris. It features John and Edward performing the song at various Parisian locations, including the Eiffel Tower.
"Lipstick" debuted at No. 2 in the Irish Singles Chart, on 13 February, only after Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" and debuted at No. 82 in the UK in the week of their Eurovision performance it went up to No. 40. The song also entered at number four in German Download Chart. After their Eurovision final performance, the song went to No. 1 in Ireland, three months after its release.
- "Lipstick" (Radio Edit) - 2:55
- "Lipstick" (Full Version) - 3:51
- "Lipstick" (Instrumental) - 3:51
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||14|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||26|
|Finland (Official Download Chart)||22|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||12|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||84|
|South Korea (GAON)||8|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||28|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||40|
|Ireland||12 February 2011||Digital download|
|Ireland||21 February 2011||CD single|
- Beauty fix. "Jedward hope Lipstick song will be kiss of life for Eurovision quest - Around Town, Entertainment". Herald.ie. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "Ireland: Snippet of Jedward’s ‘Lipstick’ « The Eurovision Times". Eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "Eurovision Ireland Semi Final". www.eurovision-song-contest-info. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- Siim., Jarmo. "Ireland pick Jedward to carry their flag". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- Millar, Paul (19 February 2011). "Keegan backs Jedward for Eurovision". Digital Spy. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- "JEDWARD: Lipstick - OFFICIAL VIDEO!!!". RTÉ. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "JEDWARD EXCLUSIVE- Lipstick (Paris Version)". RTÉ. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Busa, Alexandru (21 February 2011). "Jedward enter the Irish top 50 singles chart". ESCToday. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jedward – Lipstick" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Jedward – Lipstick" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Jedward – Lipstick" (in French). Ultratip.
- Finnish Official Download Chart
- "Musicline.de – Jedward Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Chart Track: Week 20, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jedward – Lipstick" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: June 24, 2011 to July 30, 2011)". Gaon Chart. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jedward – Lipstick". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jedward – Lipstick". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-05-28" UK Singles Chart.