Lipton Institute of Tea
The Lipton Institute of Tea is a dedicated tea research facility owned by consumer goods company Unilever, which also owns the Lipton tea brand. The Institute conducts studies on the mental and physical health benefits of tea. As well as research conducted directly by the Institute, it also funds and coordinates a large number of research projects at academic and research institutions around the world.
The Lipton Institute of Tea is headquartered in Sharnbrook in Bedfordshire, UK. A formal tea research base was established here by Unilever in 1967. The Institute also has research centres and regional representatives located in major tea growing regions (such as India and Kericho, Kenya, where Unilever owns tea plantations) and other key tea-drinking markets (including France, Japan, China, and the USA). The Institute claims as its mission "to promote awareness and understanding of tea, from bush to cup". The Institute also participates in and organises scientific conferences.
Integral to the Institute’s research facilities is its operation of what it claims is the world’s most northerly tea plantation at its UK headquarters. This facility enables tea to be studied in a controlled environment, as here representative samples of tea from around the world are grown.
The Institute invests in clinical trials to support benefit claims, and its scientific understanding of the health benefits of tea. Many of the Institute’s findings have resulted in academic publication.
Recent work has focused on theanine and flavonoid antioxidants, both of which occur naturally in tea and are claimed to have numerous health benefits. The Lipton Institute of Tea has also funded research on heart health and stroke, and in April 2009 published the results of research conducted with the University of L'Aquila, Italy, about tea and cardiovascular health.
- CNW Telbec http://www.cnw.ca/en/releases/archive/February2009/19/c2045.html
- Singapore Tea Conference http://www.youth.sg/content/view/5566/61/
- Arabian conference http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_pressreleases&view=detail&pr_id=16388&Itemid=77&ln=en
- Medical News Today http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/139794.php
- Liptoninstituteoftea.org http://www.lipton.com/en_en/Lipton_Institute_of_Tea-1,10.aspx#Lipton Institute of Tea-1,10
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- WSJ LiveMint-Tea Time http://www.livemint.com/2009/04/21010654/Tea-time.html?h=A3
- NPI Center http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=23310&zoneid=28
- Medical News Today http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/145413.php