||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
She graduated from Wellesley College with a B.A. in English literature in 1966. After a brief time in the publishing industry, she moved to Hinesburg, Vermont to raise her daughter. According to Ms. Alther, she wrote two novels, a host of short stories, and received "hundreds of rejection slips" between age 16 and 30, before Kinflicks was accepted for publication.
Alther is the author of six novels, Kinflicks, Original Sins, Other Women, Bedrock, Five Minutes In Heaven, and Washed in the Blood, as well as a small number of published short stories and many magazine articles.
She has also written two non-fiction books, Kinfolks: Falling Off the Family Tree—the Search for My Melungeon Ancestors (2007; ISBN 1-55970-832-8) and Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance (2012; ISBN 978-0762779185).
- Kinflicks (1975)
- Original Sins (1981)
- Other Women (1985)
- Bedrock (1990)
- Five Minutes In Heaven (1995)
- Kinfolks: Falling Off the Family Tree--the Search for My Melungeon Ancestors (2007)
- Washed in the Blood (2011)
- Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance (2012)
- Other Women - briefly noted in The New Yorker 60/49 (21 January 1985): 94
- Perrick, Penny (22 July 1995). "Just lighten up, Lisa (book review)". Times of London. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Lisa Alther|
|This article about a novelist of the United States born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|