Bloom at the Court TV offices
September 20, 1961
|Education||B.A., University of California, Los Angeles
J.D., Yale Law School
|Occupation||Attorney, author, television legal analyst|
|Employer||The Bloom Firm|
|Parent(s)||Gloria Allred (mother)
Peyton Huddleston Bray, Jr. (father)
William C. Allred (step-father)
Lisa Bloom (born September 20, 1961) is an American civil rights attorney best known as anchor of Lisa Bloom: Open Court, a two-hour live legal news program on truTv's In Session, from 2006 to 2009. She is the only child of civil rights attorney Gloria Allred and Peyton Huddleston Bray, Jr. Bloom serves as legal analyst for Avvo, a lawyer database. In 2013, she signed on as permanent legal analyst for The Today Show. She also contributes to NBC Nightly News and MSNBC.
Early life and education
Bloom was born Lisa Bray, the daughter of Gloria Bloom (later Allred) and Peyton Bray. Her parents' marriage was short-lived – they had married and divorced while in college – and Peyton, who suffered from bipolar disorder, later committed suicide. Lisa would then take her mother's maiden name of Bloom. When Lisa was 7, her mother remarried to William C. Allred, who became Lisa's adopted father. Bloom received a bachelor's degree from UCLA, graduating early and Phi Beta Kappa as National College Debate Champion, and a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Yale Law School. She and her mother are Jewish.
Bloom is the founder and managing partner of The Bloom Firm, a general-practice law firm that handles family, civil and criminal matters. Bloom is licensed to practice law in both New York and California.
Among Bloom's lawsuits, she unsuccessfully sued the Boy Scouts of America for sex discrimination on behalf of Katrina Yeaw, a girl who wanted to join the organization. She filed a child sexual abuse case suit against the Roman Catholic Church, and sued the LAPD on several occasions.
Bloom is a television legal analyst on CBS News, CNN, HLN and MSNBC, who also appears on The Early Show, The Insider, Dr. Phil, Dr. Drew, The Situation Room, Reliable Sources, The Joy Behar Show, Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell, and The Stephanie Miller Show.
Bloom has represented comedienne Kathy Griffin in a press conference following a controversial 2017 photo shoot in which Griffin holds a false bloodied head alleged to mimic President Donald Trump. She also was appointed later that year as model Blac Chyna's attorney to obtain a temporary restraining order against socialite Rob Kardashian, with whom Chyna shares a daughter, Dream.
In May 2011, her book, Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World, was published by Vanguard Press. Think was reviewed by the Kirkus Book Review and was on the New York Times Bestseller List.
In May 2012 the Bloom book, Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture, was released.
- Lisa Bloom leaving truTV, mediabistro.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- Mother-daughter relationship noted in Allred profile on Nightline (August 26, 2010).
- Lisa Bloom joins Today Show as legal analyst, mediabistro.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- HLN staff (May 29, 2013). "Gloria Allred: If anyone deserves it, it's Arias". HLN. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- Bennetts, Leslie (June 1, 2010). "Gloria Allred's Fighting Spirit: The power attorney who takes on unfaithful men – from Tiger Woods to Jesse James – is always ready for battle". Harper's Bazaar. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- Harris, Scott (February 26, 1992). "Sparks Fly in Allred vs. Allred : Courts: Feminist attorney's former husband is the one drawing media attention at bankruptcy hearing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Lisa Bloom". AEI Speakers Bureau. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- The Bloom Firm official website; accessed March 27, 2015.
- "Ms Lisa Read Bloom, Attorney". Lawyer.com. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Yeaw v. Boy Scouts of America - California DUI Lawyers & Attorneys - Find a DUI Lawyer.". www.dui1.com.
- Profile Archived 2008-05-16 at the Wayback Machine., courttv.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- Profile, aeispeakers.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- "Tuesday, April 11, 2017 – STEPHANIE MILLER SHOW". www.stephaniemiller.com.
- The PolitiStick (2017-06-02), Kathy Griffin Attorney Lisa Bloom: Kathy is a Victim of 'Bullying', retrieved 2017-07-10
- "Blac Chyna, Lisa Bloom Mum at Court, Focused on Restraining Order Against Rob Kardashian". TMZ. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- Twitter: "I am Jewish and I've always had beloved Muslim friends, but yes, I get what you mean. Traveling happily in 95% Muslim Senegal/ Gambia now" 22 February 2017
- Shea, Lisa (2011). "Lisa Bloom's New Book 'Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed Down World'". elle.com. Archived from the original on May 30, 2011. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World review, kirkusreviews.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- New York Times Bestseller List, nytimes.com; accessed March 27, 2015.
- Book Review: Lisa Bloom’s Swagger, booksbywomen.org; accessed March 27, 2015.