Lisa Collier Cool
Lisa Collier Cool is an American journalist and author, best known for her work on health-related topics. She is a regular contributor to Yahoo Health and numerous other online and print magazines. The 2001 book Beware the Night, written by New York City police officer Ralph Sarchie and coauthored with Lisa Collier Cool, has been adapted as a motion picture, Deliver Us from Evil.
Education and personal life
Born Lisa Collier, Cool began her collegiate studies in the early 1970s at Shimer College, a very small Great Books college then located in Mount Carroll, Illinois. She later transferred to Columbia University in New York, where she graduated in 1975. Cool's future husband, John Cool, also attended Shimer.
Prior to becoming a full-time freelancer, Cool worked as a literary agent. A number of her subsequent books, such as How to Sell Every Magazine Article You Write, have drawn on her insights as an agent.
Cool and her husband have three children, including two identical twins. She switched from working as an agent to working as a full-time writer in part to have more flexibility to take care of her children.
Although she had been writing magazine articles since 1976, Cool only began freelancing full-time in 1984, following the birth of her twin daughters. In the years since, she has written hundreds of articles for dozens of magazines.
Cool has served as president of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, and received an Outstanding Service Award from that organization in 2012. She was remembered particularly for her work on fundraising and supporting the ASJA's Writers Emergency Assistance Fund.
In 1997, Cool cowrote with Carole Lieberman the book Bad Boys : Why we Love Them, How to Live With Them, and When to Leave Them. The influential book has since been translated into several languages, including German and Spanish.
- Beat the Heart Attack Gene (2013) ISBN 9781118454299
- A Dog Named Boo (2012) (coauthor) ISBN 037389256X
- How to Write Irresistible Query Letters (2002) ISBN 1582971552
- Beware the Night: A New York City Cop Investigates the Supernatural (2001) ISBN 0312977379
- How to Sell Every Magazine Article You Write (1989) ISBN 0898793556
- How to Give Good Phone (1988) ISBN 1556110502
- "Jerry Bruckheimer Takes on Beware the Night". Comingsoon.net. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Creative Success". Shimer College. 2013-04-26. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Lisa Collier Cool. "Lisa Collier Cool's Bio". Archived from the original on 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Lisa Collier Cool (1988). How to Sell Every Magazine Article You Write. p. 218. ISBN 0898793556.
- Jenny Cromie (2009-03-23). "Successful Freelancer: Lisa Collier Cool". Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Lisa Collier Cool. "Awards". Archived from the original on 2012-10-29. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "National Magazine Awards: Winners & Finalists". American Society of Magazine Editors. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "ASJA Writing Awards Recipients". American Society of Journalists and Authors. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Cool, Lisa Collier 1952-". Worldcat Identities. Retrieved 2013-06-24.