Lisa Garcia Quiroz
|Lisa Garcia Quiroz|
|Born||January 10, 1961|
March 16, 2018 (aged 57)|
Harvard Business School M.B.A. 1990
|Years active||23 years|
|Home town||Staten Island, NY, USA|
Crain's NY Business 100 Most Powerful Minority Business Leaders|
Hispanic Heritage Award 2002
Hispanic Scholarship Alumni Hall of Fame
Lisa Garcia Quiroz (January 10, 1961 – March 16, 2018) was a Hispanic-American business executive at Time Warner who oversaw its charitable foundation and philanthropic activity and corporate responsibility departments. She served as the media enterprise's first chief diversity officer and founder of the content incubator OneFifty. Quiroz also served as President of the Time Warner Foundation.
Quiroz created and launched Time Inc.'s People en Español, recognized by Adweek Magazine in 2001 and 2002 for circulation growth. She also created and launched a spin-off publication of Time Magazine, entitled Time for Kids, a magazine geared to children in classrooms which achieved a circulation of over 3.5 million. She served on a number of nonprofit boards including the Public Theater, the Corporation for National and Community Service and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund. She was nominated by American president Barack Obama in 2010 to serve as a director for the Corporation for National and Community Service and was appointed by New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg to serve on the city's Commission on Human Rights. In 2016, she was named one of Black Enterprise's Top Executives in Corporate Diversity.
Quiroz graduated from Harvard University and Harvard Business School with a Masters in Business Administration. In 2010, Quiroz married author Guy Garcia. She was of Mexican and Puerto Rican ancestry. She died on March 16, 2018 at the age of 57 from pancreatic cancer.
- "Lisa Garcia Quiroz, Magazine Publisher, Is Dead at 57". The New York Times. March 21, 2018. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- BusinessWeek, Executive Profile - Lisa Garcia Quiroz, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Ms. Lisa Garcia Quiroz has been Senior Vice President of Corporate Responsibility..."
- Harvard Magazine
- Matt Alderton, October 2013, Hispanic Executive, Making Media Matter: Thanks to chief diversity officer Lisa Garcia Quiroz, Time Warner Inc. isn’t just about media. It’s about a message., Accessed August 3, 2014, "...That place turned out to be Time Warner, where Quiroz has spent the past 23 years weaving media and entertainment with social advocacy..."
- September 24, 2010, The New York Times, Lisa Quiroz and Guy Garcia, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Lisa Quiroz and Guy Garcia were married Saturday at the Tribeca Grand Hotel in New York....."
- June 24, 2010, The White House, President Obama Announces His Intent to Nominate Members to the Board of Directors of the Corporation for National and Community Service, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Lisa Quiroz, Member, Board of Directors of the Corporation for National and Community Service..."
- Note: sometimes known as Lisa Quiroz
- December 16, 2003, Media Post, LISA QUIROZ: Time Warner, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Time Warner ...LISA QUIROZ, publisher of the company's People en Espanol magazine,...."
- ROBIN POGREBIN, November 12, 2007, The New York Times, Helping Time Warner Give Away Some of Its Millions, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Lisa Quiroz, 46, who as senior vice president for corporate responsibility over the last four years..."
- "OneFifty | OneFifty". www.onefifty.com. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- News desk, July 9, 2014, Broadway World, Alan Gilbert Conducts 2014 New York Philharmonic CONCERTS IN THE PARK, Now thru 7/15, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Quiroz, Time Warner's Chief Diversity Officer and Senior Vice President, Corporate Responsibility. ..."
- September 24, 2010, The New York Times, Lisa Quiroz and Guy Garcia, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Lisa Quiroz and Guy Garcia were married Saturday at the Tribeca Grand Hotel in New York...."
- "Time Warner Inc. Names Lisa Garcia Quiroz its First Chief Diversity Officer | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- Jeff Bercovici, 8/06/2012, Forbes, Time Warner's Lisa Quiroz On Bringing Hispanic Viewers To English-Language TV, Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Lisa Quiroz, Time Warner‘s head of diversity.... former publisher of People en Español, .."
- "President Obama Appoints Lisa Garcia Quiroz Chair of Federal Community Service Board | Corporate | Time Warner Blog". Time Warner. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- Leaders Magazine, An Interview with Lisa Quiroz, Senior Vice President-Corporate Responsibility, Time Warner Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine., Accessed August 3, 2014, "...Quiroz is the founding publisher of People en Español,..."
- "Time Warner Achieves Highest Possible Rating for 5th Consecutive Year in Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2012 Corporate Equality Index". Politics & Government Week. December 22, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Top Executives in Corporate Diversity". Black Enterprise. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- "List of Public Companies Worldwide, Letter - Businessweek - Businessweek". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-04-14.
- Time Warner’s Lisa Quiroz dies at 56
- Note: some sources say she was 56 when she died, but others say 57 (more likely since NYT lists birth year as 1961.)