Hanawalt speaking at the XOXO Festival in 2015
|Born||June 19, 1983|
Palo Alto, California, U.S.
|I Want You|
Lisa Hanawalt (born June 19, 1983) is an American illustrator and cartoonist. She is known for her work as a production designer and producer of the Netflix animated series BoJack Horseman, and co-hosts the podcast Baby Geniuses with comedian Emily Heller.
In February 2018, Netflix ordered a 10-episode animated series, Tuca & Bertie, created by Hanawalt. The series will be "a comedy about the friendship of two 30-year-old bird women who live in the same apartment building: Tuca, a cocky, care-free toucan and Bertie, an anxious, daydreaming songbird". It will star Tiffany Haddish and Ali Wong in the leading roles.
Life and career
Hanawalt was born in Palo Alto, California, to Stanford biologists Philip Hanawalt and Graciela Spivak. Her mother was born and raised in Argentina, in a family of Jewish refugees originally from Odessa. She is a former member of Pizza Island, a cartoonist's studio in Greenpoint, Brooklyn which included cartoonists Kate Beaton, Domitille Collardey, Sarah Glidden, Meredith Gran, and Julia Wertz.
Her illustrations and writings have been published in print and online periodicals including The New York Times, McSweeney's, Vanity Fair, and Lucky Peach magazine. From 2011 through 2013, she was a regular contributor to The Hairpin and produced a series of illustrated film reviews.
In 2013, Drawn and Quarterly published My Dirty Dumb Eyes, Hanawalt's "one-woman anthology" of comics and illustrations, including previously-commissioned works. The collected stories and shorts range from autobiographical narratives to cultural observations, frequently featuring anthropomorphic animal-people and scenes of nature rendered in bright, detailed watercolors, and likened by one reviewer to "a grown-up Richard Scarry turned absurdist social commentator."
In 2016, Drawn and Quarterly published Hot Dog Taste Test. This book is a collection of comics and illustrations often featuring animal-people in vibrant watercolors. Publishers Weekly said about her book, "Hanawalt takes a kebab skewer to the pomposity that's grown up around food and dining. The cartoons evoke an idiosyncratic absurdity akin to Roz Chast's work."
Awards and recognition
Print magazine named Hanawalt one of the best new, young designers in 2013. Her illustrated short story, "On the Trail with Wylie," won a James Beard Foundation Award for humor writing in 2014.
- 2009 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Minicomic, Stay Away from Other People
- 2010 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Comic, I Want You
- 2011 Stumptown Award for Best Small Press, I Want You #2 
- 2013 Society of Illustrators Silver Medal in Editorial Illustration, "Birch Trees"
- 2014 James Beard Journalism Award for Humor, "On the Trail With Wylie," Lucky Peach
- 2016 Critics' Choice Award for Best Animated Series, BoJack Horseman
- 2013 James Beard Journalism Award for Humor, "The Secret Lives of Chefs," Lucky Peach
- 2015 James Beard Journalism Award for Humor, "Goodbye to all that sugar, spice, fat," Lucky Peach
- 2012. Benny's Brigade, by Arthur Bradford. McSweeney's. ISBN 978-1-93636-561-6
- 2013. My Dirty, Dumb Eyes. Drawn & Quarterly. ISBN 978-1-77046-116-1
- 2016. Hot Dog Taste Test. Drawn & Quarterly. ISBN 978-1-77046-237-3
- Berkowitz, Joe (August 22, 2014). "How a Funny, Horse-Obsessed Artist Created the Look of Netflix's First Animated Show". Co.Create. FastCo. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "Hanawalt Collects "My Dirty Dumb Eyes"". May 24, 2013.
- "Welcome to Graciela Spivak's Home Page". web.stanford.edu.
- Randle, Chris (May 31, 2016). "Lisa Hanawalt: BoJack cartoonist gets personal in Hot Dog Taste Test". the Guardian. Retrieved September 22, 2018.
- Ward, Katherine (April 3, 2011). "Books". NYMag.com. New York. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "Visions of Thanksgiving". Sunday Review: The Opinion Pages. New York Times. 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- Hanawalt, Lisa (April 13, 2014). "On the Trail with Wylie". Lucky Peach. Medium.com. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "My Dirty, Dumb Eyes". Publisher's Weekly. 260 (11): 67. March 18, 2013.
- "Books". Lisa Hanawalt.
- "Comics Book Review: Hot Dog Taste Test by Lisa Hanawalt. Drawn & Quarterly, $22.95 (176p) ISBN 978-1-77046-237-3".
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 20, 2018). "Netflix Orders 'Tuca & Bertie' Animated Series Starring Tiffany Haddish From 'Bojack Horseman' Team". Deadline. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Writers Share Signed Termination Letters As Mass Firing Of Agents Begins After WGA-ATA Talks Fail". Deadline.
- Lerner, Jane (April 2013). "Lisa Hanawalt". Print. 67 (2): 40–41.
- "James Beard Foundation 2014 Award Winners List" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "2011 Stumptown Comic Arts Award Winners". The Comics Reporter. April 17, 2011. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "Illustrators 56: Part Two". Society of Illustrators. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Donnelly, Matt; Pond, Steve (January 17, 2016). "'Spotlight,' Leonardo DiCaprio, Brie Larson Top Critics' Choice Award Winners". The Wrap. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "2013 James Beard Awards Nominees" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Borden, Maggie; Haak, Alyssa (April 9, 2015). "Meet the 2015 Humor Journalism Nominees". James Beard Foundation. Retrieved April 8, 2016.