|Born||July 31, 1967|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Genres||garage rock, soul, punk rock|
Kekaula was born to an African-American mother, Linda and Native Hawaiian father, Alan Kekaula in Los Angeles, California, although the family continued to grow and relocated to suburban Moreno Valley, California. While there, Kekaula began to immerse herself in singing and had her first appearance in a talent show at Edgemont Elementary School. She graduated from Moreno Valley High School and then from the University of California, Riverside.
Since 1990, Kekaula has been vocalist with the Bellrays.
Kekaula has featured on two singles by British house music band Basement Jaxx, most famously "Good Luck"; the tracks "Realizer" and "High and Low", from the 2004 album Legion of Boom by The Crystal Method; and "Talkin' in My Sleep", from The Bloody Beetroots' first studio album, Romborama. She has also been featured on The Legendary Tigerman's fifth studio album, Femina, released in 2009.
In 2014, Kekaula contributed vocals to two tracks for the Re-Licked album of Iggy and the Stooges songs re-recorded by former Stooges guitarist James Williamson. The songs were also released as a 7" single. In 2016, Kekaula and Williamson collaborated again, releasing a single in aid of a Hawaiian homeless charity.
Kekaula is married to Robert Vennum, also of the Bellrays; they have one daughter, Twylla. In 2014, Kekaula and Vennum released an album under the name Lisa and the Lips.
- Loftus, Johnny. "Biography: The BellRays". Allmusic. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- "Still kicking out the jams". The Independent. 2005-02-23. Archived from the original on 2022-06-14. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- Shea, Eric (June 27, 2014). "Ear to the Ground: James Williamson and Lisa Kekaula's "I Gotta Right"". www.premierguitar.com. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- Lawrence, Dave. "Helping Hand - Stooges' James Williamson benefit single for Project Hawaii". www.hpr2.org. Retrieved 2019-06-11.
- "Glen's Rockmaggedon- Interview with Lisa Kekaula (The Bellrays)". Vinyl Writers. Retrieved 2022-10-29.