This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||New York City, United States|
Lisa Krohn is an American designer and creative director. Her talents range from the design of products to logos and branding and display design, the design of interiors, installations furniture and trade show environments. She is currently the Creative Director of Krohn Design.
Early life and education
Lisa Krohn was born in New York City where she attended Friends Seminary then went on to study art and art history at Brown University. Krohn completed an MFA in design at the Cranbrook Academy of Art in 1988 and received a Fulbright fellowship to Milan to work with Mario Bellini.
Krohn has worked as a designer, consultant and strategic thinker for clients, including Herman Miller, Alessi and Walt Disney Imagineering. She has received numerous design accolades, including Grand Prize in the Forma Finlandia competition, the Daimler Chrysler Award for Innovation in Design and the Rome Prize.
She has also taught in various schools, including the Art Center College of Design, CalArts, SciArc and Otis.
Lisa Krohn's works are in the following museum collections:
- Arango Design Foundation, Miami, Florida
- The Brooklyn Museum, New York, New York
- Smithsonian/Cooper Hewitt/National Design Museum, New York, New York
- The Cranbrook Art Museum, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- The Denver Art Museum, Denver, Colorado
- The Design Museum, London, United Kingdom
- Grand Rapids Art Museum, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Montreal Museum of Decorative Arts, Montreal, Canada
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York
- Provinciaal Museum, Hasselt, the Netherlands
- SF MoMA, San Francisco, California
Krohn has written for Blueprint, Design, Design Issues, Design Review, ID, Velocity, L.A. Architect, Metropolis, Metropolitan Home, Progressive Architecture, and Now Time magazines, as well as several design related blogs.
- New Blood: 101 Award of Distinction 1998
- Chrysler Award For Innovation in Design, 1997
- Selected as one of "40 top Innovators" by ID Magazine for cover story, 1997
- Residential Lighting Top 100 products of 1996
- American Wood Council Merit Award, 1996
- Young Designer Award, the Brooklyn Museum - 11-96
- I.D. Award in the "Furniture" category ID Annual Design Review, 1994
- National Endowment for the Arts Grant for doing a packaging audit,1994
- I.D. Award in the "Concepts" category of the ID Annual Design Review,1993
- Award for Excellence in Goldstar/LG design competition,1993
- Gold Award in "Furniture" ID Annual Design Review,1992
- Gold Award in "Consumer Products", 1992
- Bronze IDEA award in "Graphics" for the Ultradata logo, 1991
- Selection in "Concepts" category of the ID Annual Design Review,1989
- Selected as one of "30 Under 30" by Interiors, cover story and exhibition, 9-89
- Fulbright fellowship to Italy to apprentice with Mario Bellini, 1988–89
- Mention in the "Furniture" category of the ID Annual Design Review,1988
- Best of Category in "Concepts" category of the ID Annual Design Review,1987
- Grand Prize in the Forma Finlandia: Plastics for Tomorrow competition, 1987
- Best Use of Symbol in the Architectural Leagueʼs Chair Fair, 1986
- New York Media, LLC (28 September 1987). New York Magazine. New York Media, LLC. pp. 34–. ISSN 0028-7369.
- "About: Lisa Krohn". Krohn Design. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Chrysler Design Institute - Awards Index". chrysler.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Going to Towns: Los Angeles | Metropolis Magazine | January 2000". eb.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Handy Containers | Metropolis Magazine". eb.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "The Cranbrook Principle | Metropolis Magazine | October 2000". eb.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
New York Times coverage of Lisa Krohn:
- "CURRENTS/LOS ANGELES: FOR A CHILDREN'S MUSEUM; In San Diego, Designers Work to Beguile a Young Public - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "ROAD TEST; It Looks Sharp, Feels Sharp, But Is This Razor a Knockout? - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "CURRENTS; On Exhibit: A Lamp Called Sardine - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Academy Announces Winners of Rome Prize - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "So Long, Faux: New Materials Woo Designers - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "The Latest Accessories Writ Little and Large- Page 2 - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Public Eye; 30 Years After '2001': A Furniture Odyssey - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Currents - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "DESIGN NOTEBOOK; California Modern's Emerging Voices - New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
Art and Culture profile:
- "Lisa Krohn @ Art + Culture". artandculture.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
Museum of California Design:
- "Museum of California Design • Programs". mocad.org. Retrieved 2014-01-26.