Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Pro-debut||1979 AAU Junior Ms. America, 1979|
|Best win||1979 AAU Junior Ms. America, 1979|
Born in Los Angeles, California in 1953. Lisa Lyon studied art at the University of California at Los Angeles. There she became accomplished in the Japanese art of fencing, kendo, but found herself lacking sufficient upper body strength so she began weight training. This eventually led her into bodybuilding.
Lyon entered and won the first International Federation of BodyBuilders Women’s World Pro Bodybuilding Championship in Los Angeles on June 16, 1979. This was the only bodybuilding competition of her career. She appeared in many magazines and on television talk shows, promoting bodybuilding for women. She also wrote a book on weight training for women titled Lisa Lyon’s Body Magic (ISBN 0-553-01296-7), which was published in 1981.
Her stats as taken on October 1980: Bust 37A, Waist 24", Hips 35", Height 5' 4", Weight 120 lbs, Hair Color brunette. At the time, she could dead-lift 225 pounds, bench-press 120 pounds, and squat 265 pounds.
Although Lyon is often cited as the first female bodybuilder to appear in Playboy (in October 1980), she was actually predated by stripper and bodybuilder Kellie Everts, who appeared in a May 1977 pictorial called "Humping Iron".
Lyon modeled for Helmut Newton, American fine art photographer Robert Mapplethorpe (resulting in the 1983 book Lady: Lisa Lyon), and Marcus Leatherdale, who published two pictures of her in his first catalogue book at Molotov. Lyon's work with Mapplethorpe was specifically impressive due to Mapplethorpe's ability to portray her body as masculine and feminine in his photos, which shows how her body was truly one of a kind.
Lisa Lyon also had a short acting career:
- Mathilde in Three Crowns of the Sailor from 1983
- Pilar Jones in the bodybuilding movie Getting Physical from 1984
- Cimmaron in Vamp, a low-budget 1986 film starring Grace Jones.
- "Lisa Lyon - IFBB Professional League". www.ifbbpro.com.
- Mapplethorpe, Robert; Bruce Chatwin (1983). Lady: Lisa Lyon. New York: Viking Press. ISBN 0-670-43012-9. OCLC 8826279.
- "Kellie Everts - The Progenitor and Foundress of Female Bodybuilding". kellieevertsistripforgod.com.
- Marcus Leatherdale: New York 1983. His photographs and text by Kathy Acker and Christian Michelides. A book in a series on people and years. Vienna: Molotov, 1983. ISBN 978-3-9503703-1-7
- "God is in the Detail*". Sandy Hill. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- Sanderson, Peter. "The Frank Miller/Klaus Janson Interview," Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson vol. 2, p. 305.