The suffix '-otomy' is derived from the Greek suffix τόμος, -tómos, "meaning cutting, sharp, or separate".
- Amniotomy - > An incision created to accelerate labor.
- Androtomy -> Dissection of the human body .
- Bilateral cingulotomy -> Phsycosurgery, treatment for depression and addiction .
- Bronchotomy -> A procedure that ensures there is an open airway between a patients lung/s and the outside world.
- Clitoridotomy -> Plastic surgery that reduces are of the clitorial hood.
- Coeliotomy -> A large incision through the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity
- Colpotomy -> Extraction of fluid from the pouch of Douglas (a rectouterine pouch posterior to the vagina) through a needle
- Cordotomy -> Procedure that disables selected pain-conducting tracts in the spinal cord, in order to achieve loss of pain and temperature perception
- Craniotomy -> A bone flap is temporarily removed from the skull to access the brain
- Cricothyrotomy -> An incision made through the skin and cricothyroid membrane to establish a patent airway during certain life-threatening situations
- Escharotomy -> Procedure used to treat full-thickness (third-degree) circumferential burns
- Episiotomy -> Surgical incision of the perineum and the posterior vaginal wall
- Fasciotomy -> Surgical procedure where the fascia is cut to relieve tension or pressure commonly to treat the resulting loss of circulation to an area of tissue or muscle
- Heller myotomy -> Muscles of the cardia (lower oesophageal sphincter or LOS) are cut, allowing food and liquids to pass to the stomach
- Hymenotomy -> Surgical removal or opening of the hymen
- Hysterotomy -> Incision in the uterus, and is performed during a caesarean section
- Laparotomy -> Large incision through the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity
- Lithotomy position -> Medical term referring to a common position for surgical procedures and medical examinations involving the pelvis and lower abdomen
- Lobotomy -> Cutting or scraping away most of the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex, the anterior part of the frontal lobes of the brain.
- Meatotomy -> Form of penile modification in which the underside of the glans is split
- Mini asymmetric radial keratotomy -> Procedure used to treat keratoconus and correct astigmatism
- Myotomy -> Procedure in which muscle is cut.
- Osteotomy -> A bone is cut to shorten or lengthen it or to change its alignment
- Phlebotomy -> An incision in a vein with a needle
- Pulpotomy -> Removal of a portion of the pulp, including the diseased aspect
- Radial keratotomy -> a refractive surgical procedure to correct myopia
- Sphincterotomy -> Treating mucosal fissures from the anal canal/sphincter
- Thoracotomy -> Incision into the pleural space of the chest
- Thyrotomy -> Incision of the larynx through the thyroid cartilage
- Tracheotomy -> An incision on the anterior aspect of the neck and opening a direct airway through an incision in the trachea (windpipe)
- Trans-orbital lobotomy -> Cutting or scraping away most of the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex, the anterior part of the frontal lobes of the brain