List of Academy Award winners and nominees of Asian descent
This is a list of Academy Award winners and nominees who are of Asian descent and were either born and raised outside of Asia, or who were born in Asia but raised elsewhere. This list is current as of the 91st Academy Awards. See also List of Asian Academy Award winners and nominees.
- 1 Best Picture
- 2 Best Director
- 3 Best Actor
- 4 Best Supporting Actor
- 5 Best Supporting Actress
- 6 Best Original Screenplay
- 7 Best Adapted Screenplay
- 8 Best Cinematography
- 9 Best Film Editing
- 10 Best Production Design
- 11 Best Original Score
- 12 Best Original Song
- 13 Best Sound Mixing
- 14 Best Sound Editing
- 15 Best Visual Effects
- 16 Best Documentary Feature
- 17 Best Animated Feature
- 18 Best Documentary Short Subject
- 19 Best Animated Short Film
- 20 Best Live Action Short Film
- 21 Non-Competitive Awards
- 22 References
|1989||A. Kitman Ho||/||Born on the Fourth of July||Nominated||Chinese descent|
First Asian-American nominated for Best Picture
(nominated with Oliver Stone)
|1991||JFK||Nominated||(nominated with Oliver Stone)|
|1996||Richard Sakai||/||Jerry Maguire||Nominated||Japanese-American|
(nominated with James L. Brooks, Laurence Mark, & Cameron Crowe)
|1999||M. Night Shyamalan||/||The Sixth Sense||Nominated||Indian descent|
|Actor in a Leading Role|
|1982||Ben Kingsley||/||Gandhi||Mahatma Gandhi||Won||Half-Indian descent (father is Indian)|
First Asian nominated for Best Actor
First Asian to win Best Actor
|2003||House of Sand and Fog||Massoud Behrani||Nominated|
Best Supporting Actor
|Actor in a Supporting Role|
|1936||Akim Tamiroff||/||The General Died at Dawn||General Yang||Nominated||Armenian descent|
First Asian to be nominated in any acting category.
First Asian with multiple nominations in acting categories.
|1943||For Whom the Bell Tolls||Pablo||Nominated|
|1962||Omar Sharif||/||Lawrence of Arabia||Sherif Ali ibn el Kharish||Nominated||Lebanese descent|
|1984||Pat Morita||/||The Karate Kid||Mr. Miyagi||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian American nominated for Best Supporting Actor
|1991||Ben Kingsley||/||Bugsy||Meyer Lansky||Nominated|
|2001||Sexy Beast||Don Logan||Nominated||Tied for third most Oscar-nominated Asian of all time, with four nominations|
|2016||Dev Patel||Lion||Saroo Brierley||Nominated||Indian descent|
Best Supporting Actress
|Actress in a Supporting Role|
|1985||Meg Tilly||/||Agnes of God||Sister Agnes||Nominated||Half-Chinese descent|
First Asian American and first Chinese American nominated for Best Supporting Actress
|1994||Jennifer Tilly||Bullets Over Broadway||Olive Neal||Nominated||Half-Chinese descent|
|2010||Hailee Steinfeld||/||True Grit||Mattie Ross||Nominated||Filipino descent (mother and grandfather were of Filipino descent)|
Youngest Asian American nominated for Best Supporting Actress (age 14)
Best Original Screenplay
|1986||Hanif Kureishi||/||My Beautiful Laundrette||Nominated||Half-Pakistani descent (father is Pakistani)|
First Asian nominated for Best Original Screenplay
|1999||M. Night Shyamalan||/||The Sixth Sense||Nominated|
|2002||Steven Zaillian||/||Gangs of New York||Nominated||Armenian descent|
|2006||Iris Yamashita||/||Letters from Iwo Jima||Nominated||Japanese descent|
Second time a screenplay written almost entirely in an Asian language (Japanese) was nominated for a screenplay award.
(nominated with Paul Haggis)
Best Adapted Screenplay
|1990||Steven Zaillian||/||Awakenings||Awakenings by Oliver Sacks||Nominated||First Asian nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.|
|1993||Schindler's List||Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally||Won||First Asian to win for Best Adapted Screenplay.|
|1997||Hossein Amini||/||The Wings of the Dove||The Wings of the Dove by Henry James||Nominated|
|2011||Steven Zaillian||/||Moneyball||Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis||Nominated|
(nominated with Aaron Sorkin)
|1938||James Wong Howe||/||Algiers||Nominated||Chinese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Cinematography
|1940||Abe Lincoln in Illinois||Nominated|
|1943||Air Force||Nominated||(nominated with Elmer Dyer & Charles A. Marshall)|
|The North Star||Nominated|
|1955||The Rose Tattoo||Won||First Asian to win Best Cinematography|
|1958||The Old Man and the Sea||Nominated|
|1963||Hud||Won||First Asian to win multiple Academy Awards|
|1975||Funny Lady||Nominated||Most Oscar-nominated Asian of all time, with ten nominations|
|1996||Darius Khondji||/||Evita||Nominated||Iranian descent|
|2010||Matthew Libatique||/||Black Swan||Nominated||Filipino descent|
First Asian American nominated for Best Cinematography since Howe
|2018||A Star Is Born||Nominated|
Best Film Editing
|1975||Richard Chew||/||One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest||Nominated||Chinese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Film Editing
First Asian American nominated for Best Film Editing
(nominated with Lynzee Klingman & Sheldon Kahn)
|1977||Star Wars||Won||First Asian to win Best Film Editing|
First Asian American to win Best Film Editing
(won with Paul Hirsch & Marcia Lucas)
|1999||Tariq Anwar||/||American Beauty||Nominated||Half-Indian descent (father is Indian)|
|2010||The King's Speech||Nominated|
|2014||Tom Cross||/||Whiplash||Won||Half-Vietnamese descent (mother is Vietnamese)|
|2016||La La Land||Nominated|
Best Production Design
|1969||George B. Chan||/||Gaily, Gaily||Nominated||Chinese descent|
(nominated with Robert F. Boyle, Edward G. Boyle, & Carl Biddiscombe)
|2008||James J. Murakami||/||Changeling||Nominated||Japanese descent|
(nominated with Gary Fettis)
|2017||Paul Denham Austerberry||//||The Shape of Water||Won||Filipino descent|
(nominated with Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin)
Best Original Score
|1996||Gabriel Yared||/||The English Patient||Won||Lebanese descent|
|1999||The Talented Mr. Ripley||Nominated|
Best Original Song
|Slumdog Millionaire||"O Saya"||Nominated||M.I.A. is of Sri Lankan descent|
Shared nomination with A.R. Rahman.
|2013||Robert Lopez||/||Frozen||"Let It Go"||Won||Part-Filipino descent (paternal grandfather is Filipino, paternal grandmother is part-Filipino)|
First Asian American nominated for Best Original Song
First Asian American to win Best Original Song
(nominated with Kristen Anderson-Lopez)
|Karen O||//||Her||"The Moon Song"||Nominated||Half-Korean descent (mother is Korean, father is Polish)|
(nominated with Spike Jonze)
|2017||Robert Lopez||/||Coco||"Remember Me"||Won||(nominated with Kristen Anderson-Lopez)|
Best Sound Mixing
|2008||Ren Klyce||/||The Curious Case of Benjamin Button||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Sound Mixing
First Asian American nominated for Best Sound Mixing
(nominated with David Parker, Michael Semanick & Mark Weingarten)
|2010||The Social Network||Nominated||(nominated with David Parker, Michael Semanick & Mark Weingarten)|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Nominated||(nominated with David Parker, Michael Semanick & Bo Persson)|
|2017||Star Wars: The Last Jedi||Nominated||(nominated with David Parker, Michael Semanick & Stuart Wilson)|
Best Sound Editing
|1999||Ren Klyce||/||Fight Club||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Sound Editing
First Asian American nominated for Best Sound Editing
(nominated with Richard Hymns)
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Nominated|
|2017||Star Wars: The Last Jedi||Nominated||(nominated with Matthew Wood)|
Best Visual Effects
|1977||Greg Jein||/||Close Encounters of the Third Kind||Nominated||Chinese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Visual Effects
First Asian American nominated for Best Visual Effects
(nominated with Roy Arbogast, Douglas Trumbull, Matthew Yuricich, & Richard Yuricich)
|1979||1941||Nominated||(nominated with William A. Fraker & A. D. Flowers)|
|1992||Doug Chiang||/||Death Becomes Her||Won||Chinese descent|
First Asian to win Best Visual Effects
(won with Ken Ralston, Douglas Smythe, & Tom Woodruff Jr.)
|1993||Ariel Velasco Shaw||/||The Nightmare Before Christmas||Nominated||Filipino descent|
First person of Filipino descent to be nominated for an Oscar
(Nominated with Pete Kozachik, Eric Leighton, and Gordon Baker)
|1999||Jerome Chen||/||Stuart Little||Nominated||Chinese descent|
(nominated with John Dykstra, Henry F. Anderson III, & Eric Allard)
Best Documentary Feature
|1985||Steven Okazaki||/||Unfinished Business||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Documentary Feature
First Asian American nominated for Best Documentary Feature
|1988||Renee Tajima-Peña||Who Killed Vincent Chin?||Nominated||Tajima-Peña is of Japanese descent|
Shared nomination with Christine Choy.
|1994||Freida Lee Mock||/||Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision||Won||Chinese descent|
First Asian to win Best Documentary Feature
First Asian American to win Best Documentary Feature
(won with Terry Sanders)
|2010||Audrey Marrs||/||Inside Job||Won||Half-Japanese descent (mother is Japanese)|
|2014||Joanna Natasegara||/||Virunga||Nominated||(nominated with Orlando von Einsiedel)|
|2015||Asif Kapadia||/||Amy||Won||Indian descent|
(nominated with James Gay-Rees)
|2018||Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
|/||Free Solo||Won||Vasarhelyi is of Chinese, Hungarian and Brazilian descent|
Chin is of Chinese descent
They are the first married couple of Asian descent to share a nomination
(nominated with Evan Hayes and Shannon Dill)
|Bing Liu and Diane Moy Quon||/||Minding the Gap||Nominated||Liu is of Chinese descent|
|Su Kim||/||Hale County This Morning, This Evening||Nominated||Korean descent|
(nominated with RaMell Ross and Joslyn Barnes)
Best Animated Feature
|2011||Jennifer Yuh Nelson||/||Kung Fu Panda 2||Nominated||Korean descent|
First woman to direct a Hollywood animated feature film
|2015||Rosa Tran||/||Anomalisa||Nominated||Vietnamese descent|
(nominated with Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson)
Best Documentary Short Subject
|Documentary Short Subject|
|1982||Freida Lee Mock||/||To Live or Let Die||Nominated||First Asian American nominated for Best Documentary Short Subject|
|1983||Arthur Dong||Sewing Woman||Nominated||Chinese descent|
|1984||Paul T.K. Lin||/||The Children of Soong Ching Ling||Nominated||Chinese descent|
(nominated with Gary Bush)
|1988||Lise Yasui||/||Family Gathering||Nominated||Japanese descent|
(nominated with Ann Tegnell)
|1990||Freida Lee Mock||/||Rose Kennedy: A Life to Remember||Nominated||(nominated with Terry Sanders)|
|Steven Okazaki||/||Days of Waiting: The Life & Art of Estelle Ishigo||Won||First Asian to win Best Documentary Short Subject|
First Asian American to win Best Documentary Short Subject
|1995||Freida Lee Mock||/||Never Give Up: The 20th Century Odyssey of Herbert Zipper||Nominated||(nominated with Terry Sanders)|
|1996||Jessica Yu||Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien||Won||Chinese descent|
|1998||Keiko Ibi||/||The Personals: Improvisations on Romance in the Golden Years||Won||Japanese descent|
|Shui-Bo Wang||/||Sunrise Over Tiananmen Square||Nominated||Chinese descent|
(nominated with Donald McWilliams)
|2001||Freida Lee Mock||/||Sing!||Nominated||Tied for second most Oscar-nominated Asian of all time, with five nominations|
(nominated with Jessica Sanders)
|2005||Steven Okazaki||/||The Mushroom Club||Nominated|
|2008||The Conscience of Nhem En||Nominated||Tied for third most Oscar-nominated Asian of all time, with four nominations|
|2016||Joanna Natasegara||/||The White Helmets||Won||(nominated with Orlando von Einsiedel)|
|2018||Rayka Zehtabchi||/||Period. End of Sentence.||Won||Iranian descent|
nominated with Melissa Berton
Best Animated Short Film
|Animated Short Film|
|1968||Jimmy T. Murakami||/||The Magic Pear Tree||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian nominated for Best Animated Short Film
First Asian American nominated for Best Animated Short Film
|2010||Shaun Tan||/||The Lost Thing||Won||Half-Chinese descent (father is Chinese)|
(nominated with Andrew Ruhemann)
|2011||Minkyu Lee||/||Adam and Dog||Nominated||Korean descent|
|2014||Robert Kondo||/||The Dam Keeper||Nominated||Shared nomination with Daisuke Tsutsumi.|
|2015||Sanjay Patel||/||Sanjay's Super Team||Nominated||Indian descent|
(nominated with Nicole Paradis Grindle)
|2017||Ru Kuwahata||/||Negative Space||Nominated||Japanese descent|
nominated with Max Porter, her husband
|2018||Domee Shi||/||Bao||Won||Chinese descent|
(nominated with Becky Neiman-Cobb)
|Trevor Jimenez||/||Weekends||Nominated||Filipino descent|
|Bobby Pontillas||/||One Small Step||Nominated||Filipino descent|
Best Live Action Short Film
|Live Action Short Film|
|1977||Yuki Yoshida||/||I'll Find a Way||Won||Japanese descent|
(nominated with Beverly Shaffer)
|1982||Michael Toshiyuki Uno||/||The Silence||Nominated||Japanese descent|
First Asian American nominated for Best Live Action Short Film
(nominated with Joseph Benson)
|1997||Chris Tashima||Visas and Virtue||Won||Japanese descent (father is Japanese)|
First Asian American to win Best Live Action Short Film
(nominated with Chris Donahue)
|2005||Pia Clemente||/||Our Time is Up||Nominated||Filipino descent|
(nominated with Rob Pearlstein)
|2013||Baldwin Li||/||The Voorman Problem||Nominated||(nominated with Mark Gill)|
|2004||Takuo Miyagishima||/||Gordon E. Sawyer Award|
Takuo Miyagishima, one of the most notable design engineers in the motion picture industry, has been voted the Gordon E. Sawyer Award by the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- "Official Site / A. Kitman Ho Bio / Reservation Road". Focus Features. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- Spickard, Paul R. (2008). Japanese Americans: The Formation and Transformations of an Ethnic Group. Rutgers University Press. p. 155. ISBN 978-0813544335.
- Bamberger, Michael (2006). The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale. Gotham. p. 150. ISBN 978-1592402137.
- Denham, Jess (June 14, 2016). "Ben Kingsley told he would 'always play servants' by senior RSC director". The Independent. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Thurber, Jon (November 26, 2005). "Pat Morita, 73; Actor Starred in 'Karate Kid' Movie Series". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- Burrows, Tim (2008-12-01). "Slumdog Millionaire: Dev Patel hits the jackpot". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- Chiu, Alexis (September 11, 2006). "Scars of Her Youth". People. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- "18 Things to Know About Actress and Singer Hailee Steinfeld". Alma. 2018-06-27. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- Isla, Micah Levin (April 9, 2016). "Hailee on what it means to have Pinoy roots". The Philippine Star. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- McCrum, Robert (January 18, 2014). "Hanif Kureishi interview: 'Every 10 years you become someone else'". The Guardian. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Wloszczyna, Susan (February 15, 2007). "Iris Yamashita: From 'Tokyo' to California". USA Today. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Cho, Jenny (2013). Chinese in Hollywood. Arcadia Publishing. pp. 121–124. ISBN 9780738599731.
- "Filipino cinematographer wins indie film award for Black Swan". AsiaOne. February 27, 2011. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- Ansari, Shabana (March 10, 2011). "Oscar-nominated film editor Tariq Anwar has Mumbai link". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- Guillermo, Emil (February 23, 2015). "This Oscar Winner Has the Most Supportive Wife Ever". NBC News. Retrieved September 15, 2016.
- "The 42nd Academy Awards Nominees and Winners". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. April 7, 1970. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Production Design Award Nominees Named". Rafu Shimpo. January 9, 2015. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "Meet the Asian and Asian American Nominees for the 2018 Oscars!". Center for Asian American Media. March 1, 2018. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- Amaratunga, Ravi (January 16, 2015). "MIA is an incredible artist, but she is not the spokesperson that Sri Lanka needs right now". The Independent. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Nepales, Ruben V. (November 7, 2013). "Fun, music-filled morning with Fil-Am Tony, Grammy winner and wife". Inquirer Entertainment. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Chi, Minnie (July 18, 2003). "Half Korean, 100% Rock Star". Asia Pacific Arts. Archived from the original on December 1, 2008. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Mandell, Paul (February 1979). "The Magical Techniques of Movie & TV". Starlog Magazine. No. 19. Norman Jacobs/Kerry O'Quinn. p. 63. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- https://www.ampedasia.com/article/Interview-with-Ariel-Velasco-Shaw/. Missing or empty
- "About/People/Visual Effects: Jerome Chen". Sony Pictures Imageworks. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Edwards, Matthew (2015). The Atomic Bomb in Japanese Cinema: Critical Essays. McFarland. p. 240. ISBN 978-0786479122.
- Rose, Becca (June 12, 2015). "LAFF 2015 Women Directors: Meet Renee Tajima-Peña – 'No Más Bebés'". IndieWire. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Chang, Momo (March 28, 2014). "Freida Mock on 'Anita'". Center for Asian American Media. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Rivas, Jorge (February 28, 2011). "The Oscars Go to...(Almost) All White People". Colorlines. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Walia, Shelly (February 29, 2016). "India and Pakistan just got their share of the Oscar pie". Quartz. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- Berger, Laura (January 20, 2015). "Sundance Women Directors: Meet Chai Vasarhelyi – 'Meru'". IndieWire. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Bisharat, Andrew (February 2, 2018). "Photographer Jimmy Chin on Mastering the Art of Chill". National Geographic. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Metz, Nina (August 15, 2018). "A conversation with Bing Liu about his documentary 'Minding the Gap'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "Hale County Film Official Website". Hale County Film. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Chang, Momo (January 25, 2016). "Q&A with Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Director of Kung Fu Panda 3". Center for Asian American Media. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Chan, Louis (January 14, 2016). "Asian Americans Snag Oscar Nominations in Animation". AsAmNews. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- Lin, Paul (2011). In the Eye of the China Storm: A Life Between East and West. McGill-Queen's University Press. pp. 8, 275. ISBN 978-0773538573.
- Rea, Steven (February 18, 1989). "An Oscar For Germantown? Lise Yasui Of Philadelphia Is The Creator Of "Family Gathering" - A Documentary Nominated For An Academy Award. She's Proud, She's Happy And She Doesn't Know What To Wear". Philadelphia Media Network. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- Lowenstein, Lael (2012). "Finding Her Way". Directors Guild of America. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- Schleier, Curt (October 28, 1999). "Keiko Ibi's "Personal" Journey". The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- Berry, Michael (2011). A History of Pain: Trauma in Modern Chinese Literature and Film. Columbia University Press. p. 328. ISBN 978-0231141635.
- "Rayka Zehtabchi's Personal Website". RaykaZehtabchi.com. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Osmond, Andrew (December 19, 2001). "Jimmy Murakami's Five Decades of Animation". Animation World Network. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- Tan, Shaun. "Comments on The Arrival". Viewpoint Magazine. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- Kim, Hyung-suk (2013). K-Animation: Befriending Children All Over the World. Korean Culture and Information Service Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. p. 77. ISBN 9788973755813.
- Wang, Frances Kai-Hwa (June 2, 2015). "'Sanjay's Super Team' Brings an Indian-American Story to Big Screen". NBC News. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "Torino Film Lab Biography". TorinoFilmLab. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Takeuchi, Michael (February 15, 2018). "Filmmaker's childhood inspires movie magic". NichiBei. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Martin, Rachel (June 15, 2018). "In Pixar's First Female-Directed Short, A Dumpling Child Fills An Empty Nest". NPR. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- Chavez, Yong (March 1, 2019). "Meet Filipino-Canadian animator and Oscar nominee Trevor Jimenez". Balitang America. Retrieved March 2, 2019.
- Lim Uy, Sasha (February 7, 2019). "Meet the Filipino Oscar Nominee Who Dedicated an Animated Film to His Mom". EsquireMag.PH. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Lang, Catherine (1996). O-Bon in Chimunesu: A Community Remembered. Arsenal Pulp Press. p. 201. ISBN 9781551520360.
- "Oscar-nominated director to speak at City film school". Vietnam Breaking News. June 6, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- Galati, Luke (January 30, 2015). "Hollywood Veteran Chris Tashima Looks Back on His Filmmaking Career". Discover Nikkei. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- La O, Ana (August 22, 2006). "The Talented Miss Clemente". Asia Pacific Arts. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- THE 77TH SCIENTIFIC & TECHNICAL AWARDS 2004. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.