List of Alabama area codes
The state of Alabama is served by five area codes. Alabama used to have one area code, 205, established in 1947. This situation existed until 1995 when 334 was added to cover the southeast part of the state. The 256 area code for north Alabama was added in 1998, with an overlay of 938 added in 2010, the same year 10-digit dialing began in the area. The 251 area code for extreme south Alabama was added in 2001. The 659 area code had first been proposed in 2001 but was put on hold by the PSC; it is now going live in November 2019.
|205/659||January 1, 1947||Area code 205 covers the central and west central portions of the state including Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Hoover, Northport, Jasper, Oneonta, Clanton, and Pell City. Covered the entire state before the creation of Area code 334.
Area code 659 is an overlay of 205. 10 digit dialing will begin on October 12, 2019 and "659" numbers will be assignable as of November 12, 2019.
|334||January 15, 1995||South central and southeastern portions of the state including Montgomery, Auburn-Opelika, Dothan, Valley, and Selma. Originally covered the entire southern half of the state, until Area code 251 was split off.|||
|256/938||March 23, 1998
July 10, 2010
|Northern and east central portions of the state including Huntsville-Decatur, Florence-Muscle Shoals, Gadsden, Anniston, Alexander City, and Sylacauga
Area code 938 is an overlay of 256. 10 digit dialing began in June 2010 and "938" numbers are assignable as of July 10, 2010.
|251||June 18, 2001||Southwestern portions of the state including Mobile, Monroeville, Atmore, Gulf Shores, and Daphne|||
- 659 — Area code 659 was proposed as an overlay for the areas covered by the 205 area code in 2001. The proposal was subsequently put on hold by the Alabama Public Service Commission after it was determined demand for new numbers within the existing 205 service area did not warrant the overlay. The North American Numbering Plan Administrator announced the assignment of the 659 area code in August 2018.
- NPA Code Search Information: 205, North American Numbering Plan Administrator, archived from the original on 2011-06-04, retrieved 2008-03-22
- Diel, Stan (December 15, 1994), "Ma Bell gives time to adjust to new code", The Birmingham News, p. B1
- Underwood, Jerry (March 16, 1998), "Countdown starts to new area code:2...5...6", The Birmingham News, p. 1A
- Lowry, Bob (March 4, 2009), "Flex your fingers for 10-digit dialing in 2010", The Huntsville Times
- "Order for Relief of the 256 Numbering Plan Area" (PDF). Alabama Public Service Commission. March 3, 2009.
- McCauley, Charles R. (February 14, 2001), "Southwest Alabama to get new area code", The Birmingham News, p. News
- McCauley, Charles R. (July 11, 2001), "10-digit dialing in hold: PSC throws out plan for 659 area code for now", The Birmingham News, p. News
- Staff reports. "Additional area code coming for western central Alabama". Bizjournals.com.