List of Arizona Cardinals first-round draft picks
The Arizona Cardinals are a professional American football franchise based in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals compete in the National Football League as a member club of the league's National Football Conference (NFC) West division. The Cardinals were founded as the Morgan Athletic Club in 1898, and are the oldest continuously run professional football team in the World.
Officially known as the "NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting", but more often called the NFL draft, the event is the NFL's primary mechanism for distributing newly professional players finished with their college football careers to its teams. The draft order is determined based on the previous season's standings; the teams with the worst win–loss records receive the earliest picks. Teams that qualified for the NFL playoffs select after non-qualifiers, and their order depends on how far they advanced. The final two selections in the first round are reserved for the Super Bowl runner-up and champion. Draft picks are tradable, and players or other picks can be acquired with them.
|—||The Cardinals did not draft a player in the first round that year.|
|Year||Each year links to an article about that particular NFL Draft.|
|Position||Indicates the position of the player in the NFL|
|College||The player's college football team|
The Chicago Years, 1936–1959
|1939||Charles (Ki) Aldrich||TCU||C|
|1941||John Kimbrough||Texas A&M||Back|
|1947||DeWit (Tex) Coulter||T||Army|
|1948||Jim Spavital||Oklahoma A&M||Back|
|1949||Bill Fischer||Notre Dame||G|
|1951||Jerry Groom||Notre Dame||C|
|1952||Ollie Matson||San Francisco||Back|
|1958||John David Crow||Texas A&M||Back|
|1959||Billy Stacy||Mississippi State||Back|
The St. Louis Years, 1960–1987
The Arizona Years, 1988–present
- "Franchise History". Arizona Cardinals. March 17, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "AFL Stars Among Former NFL Draftees". Arena Football League. April 25, 2013. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Stewart, Lisa (April 25, 2012). "NFL Draft Basics: Top 5 Things to Know". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "Patriots hold five selections in 2013 NFL Draft". New England Patriots. April 5, 2013. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Edited by Randall Liu, pp. 393, Workman Publishing, 2001, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2