List of Australian Army aviation units
This is a list of Australian Army aviation units.[Note 1] The Australian Army Aviation Corps was formed in 1947, initially with the assistance of the RAAF. These units have been utilised in a variety of roles including surveillance, reconnaissance and utility / transport, and have operated a variety of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. More recently Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) have been introduced into service and are operated by the Royal Australian Artillery.
Joint Army-RAAF units
- No. 16 Air Observation Post Flight RAAF (RAAF unit with large Army component formed in 1953, absorbed into the 16th Army Light Aircraft Squadron)
- 1st Army Aviation Company (comprised pilots only flying charted civilian aircraft formed in 1957, absorbed into the 16th Army Light Aircraft Squadron)
- 16th Army Light Aircraft Squadron (joint Army / RAAF unit formed in 1960, became the 1st Aviation Regiment)
Army aviation regiments and brigades
- 16th Aviation Brigade (non-flying headquarters)
Independent Army aviation flights and squadrons
- 161st Independent Reconnaissance Flight (formed in 1965 and served in Vietnam, later became part of the 1st Aviation Regiment)
- 183rd Independent Reconnaissance Flight (Papua & New Guinea)
Units operating UAVs
- 131st Surveillance and Target Acquisition Battery (trials only)
- 132nd Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Battery, 20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery (forming, UAVs to be operational in 2008)
- Australian Army Aviation Training Centre
- List of Royal Australian Air Force aircraft squadrons
- List of Australian Fleet Air Arm flying squadrons
- Eather 1995, pp. 146–152.
- "20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment". Department of Defence. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Eather, Steve (1995). Flying Squadrons of the Australian Defence Force. Weston Creek, Australian Capital Territory: Aerospace Publications. ISBN 1-875671-15-3.