List of Australian divisions in World War I
The following is a list of Australian divisions in World War I, including all infantry and mounted divisions of the Australian Army during that conflict. During the war, Australia raised an all volunteer force for overseas service, known as the Australian Imperial Force, which subsequently served in several theatres, including the Gallipoli Campaign, the Sinai and Palestine Campaign and on the Western Front in France and Belgium. Between the start of the war in August 1914 and its end in November 1918, Australia raised a total of seven infantry divisions, one of which – the New Zealand and Australian Division – was also manned by New Zealanders. Of these, six took part in combat, while one – the 6th – was broken up in the United Kingdom and disbanded in September 1917 before being deployed due to manpower shortages. In addition, there were two mounted divisions raised: the ANZAC Mounted Division and the Australian Mounted Division.
|Designation||Date raised||Date disbanded||Campaigns||Notes|
|Australian 1st Division||1914||1919||Gallipoli and the Western Front|||
|Australian 2nd Division||1915||1919||Gallipoli and the Western Front|||
|Australian 3rd Division||1916||1919||Western Front|||
|Australian 4th Division||1916||1919||Western Front|||
|Australian 5th Division||1916||1919||Western Front|||
|Australian 6th Division||1917||1917||Broken up before being deployed|||
|New Zealand and Australian Division||1915||1915||Gallipoli|||
|ANZAC Mounted Division||1916||1919||Sinai and Palestine Campaign|||
|Australian Mounted Division||1917||1919||Sinai and Palestine Campaign|||
|Australian Defence |
|Royal Australian Navy|
|Royal Australian Air Force|
- Grey 2008, p. 92.
- Grey 2008, pp. 100–101.
- Grey 2008, pp. 99 & 117.
- Grey 2008, pp. 92–117.
- Stevenson 2007, pp. 185–187.
- Palazzo 2002, p. 1.
- Mallett, Ross. "Sixth Division, AIF (England, February – September 1917)". 1st AIF Order of Battle. Archived from the original on 27 September 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- "New Zealand & Australian Division". Australian War Memorial. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "ANZAC Mounted Division". Australian War Memorial. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Falls & MacMunn 1930, pp. 273–274.
- Falls, Cyril; MacMunn, George (1930). Military Operations Egypt & Palestine From the Outbreak of War With Germany to June 1917. Official History of the Great War Based on Official Documents by Direction of the Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence. 1. London: HM Stationery Office. OCLC 610273484.
- Grey, Jeffrey (2008). A Military History of Australia (3rd ed.). Melbourne, Victoria: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-69791-0.
- Palazzo, Albert (2002). Defenders of Australia: The 3rd Australian Division 1916–1991. Loftus, New South Wales: Australian Military Historical Publications. ISBN 1-876439-03-3.
- Stevenson, Robert (2007). "The Forgotten First: The 1st Australian Division in the Great War and its Legacy" (PDF). Australian Army Journal. IV (1): 185–199. OCLC 30798241. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-03.