List of Australian immigration detention facilities
This is a list of current and former Australian immigration detention facilities. Immigration detention facilities are used to house people in immigration detention, and people detained under the Pacific Solution, and Operation Sovereign Borders.
Most facilities were operated by Australasian Correctional Management (a subsidiary of G4S) under contract from the Department of Immigration until 2003, when ACM exited the market. Between 2003 and 2009, G4S was appointed as the contractor to manage a large number of facilities. Its contract was not renewed and in 2009 Serco Australia was awarded a five-year contract. The offshore processing centres on Nauru and Manus are/were operated by Broadspectrum (formerly known as Transfield Services), with security sub-contracted to Wilson Security. The new centres in Lorengau have security by Paladin Group.
|Australian government immigration detention centres in Australia and offshore|
|Baxter Immigration Reception and Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||Australasian Correctional Management (G4S subsidiary)||September 2002||August 2007||660; ||Port Augusta, South Australia|
|Christmas Island Immigration Reception and Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||G4S, then Serco||2001-2008 (temporary), 2008-present||800 ||Christmas Island|
|Cocos Island Contingency Reception Centre||Closed||Maximum||Australasian Correctional Management (G4S subsidiary)||September 2001||March 2002||West Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands|
|Curtin Immigration Reception and Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||Serco||April 2010 (reopened)||September 2014||1,500||RAAF Curtin, Western Australia|
|Darwin Alternative Place of Detention||Opening ||Medium||Department of Immigration and Border Protection||585||Darwin Airport, Northern Territory|
|Inverbrackie Alternative Place of Detention||Closed||Medium||Serco||18 December 2010||Mid 2014||400||Woodside, South Australia|
|Leonora Alternative Place of Detention||Closed||Medium||Serco||2010||2014||210||Leonora, Western Australia|
|Manus Regional Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||G4S, then Broadspectrum with security subcontracted to Wilson Security||2001–2004, 2012– October 2017||31 October 2017||1100||Los Negros Island, Manus Province, Papua New Guinea|
|East Lorengau Refugee Transit Centre||Operational||Medium||Security and some services by Paladin Group||2017||213||Lorengau, Manus Province, Papua New Guinea|
|West Lorengau Haus||Operational||Medium||Security and some services by Paladin Group||2018||111||Lorengau, Manus Province, Papua New Guinea|
|Hillside Haus||Operational||Medium||Security and some services by Paladin Group||2018||98||Lorengau, Manus Province, Papua New Guinea|
|Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre||Operational||Maximum||Global Solutions Limited (former G4S subsidiary).||1983||75; ||Maribyrnong, Victoria|
|Nauru Regional Processing Centre||Operational||Maximum||Broadspectrum with security subcontracted to Wilson Security||2001–2008, 2012–present||1,200||Nauru|
|Northern Immigration Detention Centre||Operational||Maximum||Department of Immigration and Border Protection||August 2001||382; ||Coonawarra, Northern Territory|
|Perth Immigration Detention Centre||Operational||Maximum||Department of Immigration and Border Protection||1981||55; ||Perth Airport, Western Australia|
|Pontville Immigration Detention Centre||Closed||Medium||Serco||August 2011||September 2013||400||Brighton Army Camp, Pontville, Tasmania|
|Port Augusta Immigration Residential Housing||Closed||Medium||Serco||2010||2014||64||Port Augusta, South Australia|
|Port Hedland Immigration Reception and Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||Australasian Correctional Management (G4S subsidiary)||1991||April 2003||600||Port Hedland, Western Australia|
|Scherger Immigration Detention Centre||Closed||Maximum||Serco||2010||2014||596||RAAF Scherger, Queensland|
|Sydney Immigration Residential Housing||Operational||Medium||Serco||2006||48||Villawood, New South Wales|
|Villawood Immigration Detention Centre||Operational||Maximum||Serco||1981||510; ||Villawood, New South Wales|
|Wickham Point Immigration Detention Centre||Closed||Maximum||Department of Immigration and Border Protection||8 December 2011||July 2016||1,000||Wickham Point, Northern Territory|
|Woomera Immigration Reception and Processing Centre||Closed||Maximum||Australasian Correctional Management (G4S subsidiary)||November 1999||April 2003||1,500||Woomera, South Australia|
|Yongah Hill Immigration Detention Centre||Operational||Maximum||Serco||27 June 2012||600||Northam, Western Australia|
|Total capacity||6,518; [1,271]||(current)|
- "Immigration Detention Services". G4S. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- "Darwin immigration detention centre closes due to 'success in stopping boats'". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Ireland, Judith (14 January 2014). "Scott Morrison announces closure of four immigration detention centres". Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Manus Regional Processing Centre". Australian Border Force. Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Farrell, Paul (24 February 2014). "Manus Island and Nauru centres to be run by Transfield in $1.2bn deal". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "The truth about Manus Island". "Amnesty International". Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Cashing in on refugees, duo make $20 million a month at Manus Island". Australian Financial Review. 10 February 2019.
- "Global Solutions Ltd – Corporate Watch". corporatewatch.org.
- "Nauru Manus Island Fact Sheet" (PDF). Wilson Security. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Nauru Regional Processing Centre
- "2011 Immigration Detention at Villawood, Section 4" (PDF). www.humanrights.gov.au. Australian Human Rights Commission. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "NZer who died in detention centre 'had black eyes'". 5 April 2016.
- Davidson, Helen (18 September 2018). "Serco guard at Western Australia immigration centre accused of sexual assault". the Guardian.