List of Australian psychiatric institutions
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of operational and former Australian psychiatric hospitals.
There are no institutions known to have existed.
|Mental asylums in New South Wales|
|Castle Hill Lunatic Asylum||Demolished||?||1811||1826||?||Castle Hill, New South Wales|
|Callan Park Hospital for the Insane (Rozelle Hospital) ||Closed||Warden: G Cleaver||1885||2008||250||Lilyfield|
|Gladesville Mental Hospital (Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum)||Closed||?||1838||1993||?||Gladesville, New South Wales|
|Macquarie Hospital||Operational||?||1959||?||195||North Ryde|
|Peat Island Hospital||Closed||?||1911||2010||?||Peat Island|
|Darlinghurst Lunatic Reception House||Closed||?||1868||1961||?||Darlinghurst|
|Port Macquarie Mental Asylum||Closed||?||?||?||?||Port Macquarie|
There are no asylums known to have existed.
- Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum, later renamed to Goodna Asylum and later to Goodna Mental Hospital and is now referred to as Wolston Park Hospital (later renamed "The Park") which still operates and has maximum and minimum facilities along with Psychogeriatric units.
- Baillie Henderson Hospital
- Ipswich Mental Hospital
- Cascades Female Factory
- Royal Derwent Hospital (Willow Court) - This hospital was the oldest operating hospital for the mentally ill in Australia, operating from 1830–2000
|Mental asylums in Western Australia|
|Claremont Mental Hospital||Closed||?||1903||1972||1,114||Mount Claremont, Western Australia|
|Fremantle Lunatic Asylum||Closed||?||1865||1909||?||Fremantle, Western Australia|
|Graylands Hospital||Operational||1909||-||178||Mount Claremont, Western Australia|
|Heathcote Mental Hospital||Closed||?||1929||1994||113||Applecross, Western Australia|
|Perth House||Closed||?||1909||1911||?||Perth, Western Australia|
|Roma Hospital||Closed||?||1924||1925||?||Cottesloe, Western Australia|
|Whitby Falls Mental Hospital||Closed||?||1897||1972||34||Mundijong, Western Australia|
- The Castle Hill lunatic asylum (1811-1826) and the origins of eclectic pragmatism in Australian psychiatry.; 
- Friends of Callan Park; The Future of Callan Park: A suggested Vision and Way Forward; 14 August 2003; 
- NSW Health, The Rozelle Hospital, Facility Information, Accessed 04/11/06
- NSW Nurses' Association, Farewell Rozelle Hospital Accessed 31/8/08
- "Kenmore Hospital Complex". Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Northern Sydney Central Coast Health, "Macquarie Hospital" Accessed 10/11/10
- State Records Archives Investigator, "Agency Detail" Accessed 10/11/10
- La Trobe University Beechworth Site details Accessed 5/9/08
- PROV, Agency VA 2840 , Accessed 27/8/08
- "Kew, Victoria (archived)". Australian Places. Monash University. Archived from the original on 24 August 2006. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Sandy Jeffs The Politics of Asylum Paper for the VICSERV Conference 2006
- Darebin Libraries, Larundel Mental Asylum, History, Accessed 27 August 2008
- SouthWest Health Care Annual Report 2004 Accessed 2008-09-29
- Forensicare. Thomas Embling Hospital retrieved 5/5/12
- "Whitby Falls Hospital". State Records Office of Western Australia. Retrieved 23 January 2013.