List of Australian railway companies
While railways in some states were briefly operated as private companies, railways of Australia have historically operated as Government instrumentalities.
The earlier form of a single state government railway department in each state no longer exists - with complex relationships developed by state and federal government corporations operating in multiple locations and across borders between states.
They are further divided into 'above' and 'below' rail companies - track owners, and train operators. Some companies are both.
Track and Train
- Genesee & Wyoming Australia (South Australian rural branch lines, Tarcoola-Darwin line)
- Metro Trains Melbourne (manager of suburban trackage owned by VicTrack)
- Queensland Rail
- V/Line (manages all Victorian track owned by VicTrack, except the suburban and interstate networks)
- Arc Infrastructure (Western Australia)
- Australian Rail Track Corporation (interstate network)
- John Holland Rail (Country Regional Rail Network in New South Wales)
- RailCorp (urban passenger lines in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong area, other New South Wales lines are controlled or maintained under contract by Australian Rail Track Corporation and John Holland Rail)
- VicTrack (owner of Victorian network)
- Genesee & Wyoming Australia
- Pacific National
- Qube Logistics
- SCT Logistics
- Southern Shorthaul Railroad
- Watco Australia
- Bowmans Rail