List of Big Five Academy Award winners and nominees
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of films that have been nominated for the so-called Big Five Academy Award categories. The Big Five Academy Awards are those for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay (either Best Adapted Screenplay or Best Original Screenplay).
As of the 88th Academy Awards, a total of 42 films have been nominated in all five of these award categories. Only three films have won all five of these major awards: It Happened One Night (1934), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), and The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Eight films failed to win any of the five major awards after being nominated in each category.
List of films
This list of films is sorted by the number of Big Five Academy Awards received by each film. Award winners are listed in bold with green background; others listed are nominees who did not win. This list is current as of the 88th Academy Awards ceremony held on February 28, 2016[update], honoring films of 2015.
Nine actors appear twice on this list as Best Actor nominees: Anthony Hopkins, Burt Lancaster, Clark Gable, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, Montgomery Clift, Paul Newman, Warren Beatty and William Holden.
Four actresses appear twice on this list as Best Actress nominees: Vivien Leigh, Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Greer Garson and Diane Keaton. Faye Dunaway appears three times, while Katharine Hepburn appears four times.
The ceremonies with the most "Big Five" nominated films were the 40th and the 54th with three films each. Other ceremonies with multiple "Big Five" nominees are the 12th, the 13th, the 24th, the 47th and the 49th, each one with two films.
- Gone With the Wind: Hattie McDaniel won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Mrs. Miniver: Teresa Wright won for Best Supporting Actress. May Whitty was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.
- From Here to Eternity: Frank Sinatra won for Best Supporting Actor. Donna Reed won for Best Supporting Actress. This film received six nominations in the Big Five Categories; two actors (Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster) were each nominated for Best Actor.
- Network: Beatrice Straight won for Best Supporting Actress. Ned Beatty was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. This film received six nominations in the Big Five Categories; two actors (Peter Finch and William Holden) were each nominated for Best Actor.
- Million Dollar Baby: Morgan Freeman won for Best Supporting Actor.
- The English Patient: Juliette Binoche won for Best Supporting Actress.
- A Streetcar Named Desire: Karl Malden won for Best Supporting Actor. Kim Hunter won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: Sandy Dennis won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Reds: Maureen Stapleton won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Bonnie and Clyde: Estelle Parsons won for Best Supporting Actress. Gene Hackman and Michael J. Pollard were both nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
- "Films with Awards for Best Picture, Directing, Actor, Actress and Writing". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011.