List of Big Five Academy Award winners and nominees
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)
At the Academy Awards, the so-called "Big Five" awards are those for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay (either Best Original Screenplay or Best Adapted Screenplay). As of the 92nd Academy Awards (2019), a total of 43 films have been nominated in all five of these award categories. Only three films have won all five of these major awards: It Happened One Night (1934), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), and The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Eight films failed to win any of the five major awards after being nominated in each category.
List of films
This list of films is sorted by the number of Big Five Academy Awards received by each film. Award winners are listed in bold with green background; others listed are nominees who did not win.
Nine actors appear twice on this list as Best Actor nominees: Anthony Hopkins, Burt Lancaster, Clark Gable, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, Montgomery Clift, Paul Newman, Warren Beatty and William Holden.
Four actresses appear twice on this list as Best Actress nominees: Vivien Leigh, Elizabeth Taylor, Greer Garson and Diane Keaton. Faye Dunaway appears three times, while Katharine Hepburn appears four times.
Sylvester Stallone is credited for both writing and acting in Rocky. Clint Eastwood is credited for both directing and acting in Million Dollar Baby. Warren Beatty and Woody Allen were each credited for acting, writing and directing their respective movies on the list.
The ceremonies with the most "Big Five" nominated films were the 40th and 54th with three films each. Other ceremonies with multiple "Big Five" nominees are the 12th, 13th, 24th, 47th and 49th, each one with two films.
Other films with 4 "Big Five" awards
These films won all their 4 nominations for the Big Five Academy Awards. The list is sorted by the Awards Ceremony.
- List of films with all four Academy Award acting nominations
- List of films with two or more Academy Awards in an acting category
- Gone With the Wind: Hattie McDaniel won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Mrs. Miniver: Teresa Wright won for Best Supporting Actress. May Whitty was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.
- From Here to Eternity: Frank Sinatra won for Best Supporting Actor. Donna Reed won for Best Supporting Actress. This film received six nominations in the Big Five Categories; two actors (Montgomery Clift and Burt Lancaster) were each nominated for Best Actor.
- Network: Beatrice Straight won for Best Supporting Actress. Ned Beatty was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. This film received six nominations in the Big Five Categories; two actors (Peter Finch and William Holden) were each nominated for Best Actor.
- Million Dollar Baby: Morgan Freeman won for Best Supporting Actor.
- The English Patient: Juliette Binoche won for Best Supporting Actress.
- A Streetcar Named Desire: Karl Malden won for Best Supporting Actor. Kim Hunter won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: Sandy Dennis won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Reds: Maureen Stapleton won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Bonnie and Clyde: Estelle Parsons won for Best Supporting Actress. Gene Hackman and Michael J. Pollard were both nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
- "Films with Awards for Best Picture, Directing, Actor, Actress and Writing". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011.