List of British Rail Class 91 locomotives
The British Rail Class 91 are a 31-strong fleet of 140 mph (225 km/h), 6,300 hp (4,700 kW) electric locomotives which are the main express-hauling locomotive used on the East Coast Main Line (ECML) from London to Edinburgh and beyond. They have carried various nameplates throughout their operating career.
During British Rail Intercity 225 ownership in the early 1990s the whole fleet was named. Themes included cathedrals, counties and places along the ECML, people (often with a railway connection), enterprises, charities and RAF-associated names. In the period immediately after repainting into Great North Eastern Railway colours in the late 1990s, all locomotives were briefly nameless before they were re-applied with vinyl lettering. GNER retained a number of the InterCity names, but also renamed several locomotives, and some were renamed multiple times during GNER's tenure.
When the franchise was taken over by National Express East Coast in 2008, some names were re-applied on white vinyl (albeit in much smaller size) others were not. Their successor East Coast removed all names from locomotives, but in 2011, in response to customer requests, they resumed the practice. It began by naming No. 91109 as Sir Bobby Robson with cast-iron plates, unveiled in a ceremony at Newcastle Central Station on 29 March 2011 by his widow Elsie and Alan Shearer.  The following is a list of all Class 91 locomotives, including their current liveries, present names (if applicable) and former names.
List of Class 91 locomotives
- Class 91 fleet nameplates, uktrainpics.co.uk, accessed 24 March 2012
- "Sir Bobby Robson name given to train". BBC News. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "East Coast Names Train Sir Bobby Robson" (Press release). East Coast Main Line Company. 29 March 2011. Archived from the original on 29 March 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "FIRST MINISTER LAUNCHES NEW VIRGIN FLYING SCOTSMAN TRAIN". Virgin Trains East Coast. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Class 91: 91101 'Flying Scotsman' Virgin Trains East Coast Newcastle Upon Tyne
- "Reg's return heralds unveiling of iconic train name". East Coast. 1 December 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Class 91, www.railalbum.co.uk, accessed 3 April 2012
- Image of 91102, railwayscene.co.uk, accessed 3 April 2012
- Page about the locomotive, East Coast, accessed 31 May 2013
- "East Coast names train "Sir Bobby Robson"". East Coast. 29 March 2011. Archived from the original on 29 March 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Auction lot, accessed 3 April 2012
- Press Release Archived 19 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine., East Coast Press Office ,14 October 2014
- Press Release, East Coast press office, 3 July 2013
- 91114 image, www.railwayscene.co.uk, accessed 3 April 2012
- "Famous North East anthem ‘Blaydon Races’ takes to the tracks". East Coast. 6 June 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "West Riding region honoured at train naming ceremony". East Coast. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Bounds Green depot celebrates 40 years of HST maintenance by naming a Class 91!". Steven Knight Media. 2017-10-14.
- Image, Flickr
- Radio Rewind, accessed 30 March 2012
- Intercity 50
- All aboard the Lord Mayor of Newcastle as train celebrates city anniversary, Northern Echo, 7 December 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to British Rail Class 91.|