List of Canadian insurance companies
This is a list of Canadian insurance companies.
The top insurance providers in Canada are Manulife, Canada Life (subsidiary of Great-West Lifeco), Sun Life Financial, Desjardins, and IA Financial Group (aka Industrial Alliance). Smaller insurers include those operating as subsidiaries of banks, such as CIBC Insurance and TD Insurance.
Current insurance carriers
- Allstate Canada — Canadian subsidiary of Allstate (US).
- Assumption Life
- Assurant Canada
- Aviva Canada
- Beneva (created through merger of La Capitale and SSQ Insurance)
- CAA Insurance Company
- Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans
- Canadian Premier
- Combined Insurance Canada — Canadian subsidiary of Combined Insurance (US).
- The Co-operators Group
- Desjardins Insurance
- Economical Insurance
- FaithLife Financial
- Foresters Financial
- Empire Life
- Equitable Life of Canada
- FaithLife Financial
- Federated Insurance Company of Canada
- Gore Mutual Insurance Company
- Great American Insurance Company
- Great-West Lifeco, Inc. — insurance-centered financial holding company
- Green Shield Canada
- IA Financial Group
- Intact Financial ONTARIO
- Knights of Columbus
- John Hancock Financial (based in the US)
- Munich Re Canada
- Primerica Canada — Canadian subsidiary of Primerica (US).
- Reliable Life
- Sun Life Financial
- Swiss Re
- Teachers Life
- UV Insurance (formerly the Union Life Mutual Assurance Company, or UL Mutual)
- Wawanesa Insurance
- Wawanesa Life
Government-owned insurance companies
- Saskatchewan Government Insurance
- Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
Consolidation of former insurance carriers
|Company||Acquired by / Merged into||Year acquired||Notes|
|Aetna Canada Assurance||Maritime Life||1999|
|Canada Life Assurance Company||Great-West Lifeco.||2003|
|Clarica Life Assurance (formerly Mutual Life Assurance Co.)||Sun Life Financial||2002|
|Commercial Union Life Assurance||Manulife||2001|
|Confederation Life Assurance Co.||Manulife and Maritime Life||1995 (receivership)||Purchase of its Canadian business units|
|Crown Life Assurance Co.||Canada Life Assurance||1998|
|Dominion of Canada General Insurance Co. (aka The Dominion)||The Travelers Companies||2013||Acquired by The Travelers Companies in November 2013, and became part of its subsidiary, Travelers Canada|
|Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company||Munich Re|
|Imperial Life||Desjardins Group||1994|
|La Capitale||Beneva||Merged with SSQ Insurance to create Beneva.|
|Laurentian Life||Imperial Life||1993|
|Liberty Health||Maritime Life||2003|
|London Life Insurance Company||Great-West Lifeco.||1997|
|Maritime Life||Manulife||2004||Purchased by Manulife as part of the John Hancock Insurance acquisition.|
|Metropolitan Life||Mutual Life||1998||Canadian operations purchased by Mutual Life (which later became Clarica Life Assurance)|
|Mutual of Omaha||RBC Insurance||1998||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|New York Life||Canada Life Assurance Company||1994||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|North American Life||Manulife||1995||Merged|
|Ontario Blue Cross||Liberty Health||1995||Group insurance operations obtained|
|Prudential Assurance Co.||Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada||1996||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|Prudential Insurance Co. of America||London Life Insurance Company||1995||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|Royal & SunAlliance Ins. Co.||Maritime Life||2001||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|UnumProvident||RBC Insurance||2004||Purchase of its Canadian operations|
|SSQ Insurance||Beneva||Merged with La Capitale to create Beneva.|
|State Farm||Desjardins Financial Security||2014|
|Westbury Canadian Life||RBC Insurance||2004|
|Western Life Assurance Company||Wawanesa Life||2020||Amalgamated|
|Zurich Life Insurance of Canada||Manulife||2001||Canadian group life & health business purchased|
- "The 5 Big Names in Canadian Insurance". Investopedia. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "The Biggest Life Insurance Companies in Canada 2021 - Full List". www.policyadvisor.com. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "Who we are". www.assurant.ca. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "About Us". Canadian Premier. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "Homepage". www.combinedinsurance.com. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- Canada, Equitable Life of. "Equitable Life Insurance Company of Canada". www.equitable.ca. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "Humania Assurance, a leader in health insurance products". www.humania.ca. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "About Reliable Life Insurance Company". www.reliablelifeinsurance.com. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "UL Mutual to become UV Insurance". UV Insurance. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- CPP-owned Wilton Re buys Transamerica’s Canadian business, Advisor
- "Company information | ivari". 2015-10-19. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "Amalgamation of Wawanesa Life and Western Life positions company for growth". Wawanesa Insurance. Retrieved 2021-10-04.