List of Canadian insurance companies
Current Insurance Carriers
- Allstate Insurance Company of Canada Canadian subsidiary of US parent company.
- Assumption Life based in Moncton, NB, Assumption Mutual Life Insurance Company, doing business under the name Assumption Life.
- Aviva Canada Aviva Canada is the second largest Property & Casualty Insurer in Canada with a market share of 8.7% and Gross Written Premium (GWP) of $3.155B
- Blue Cross
- CAA Health & Dental Insurance
- The Co-operators: Largest Canadian-owned insurance business in Canada.
- Desjardins Group Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company is the life and health insurance arm of Desjardins Group. Desjardins is the 6th largest financial institution in Canada and 2nd largest property and casualty insurance carrier, after it purchased State Farm Canada in 2014.
- Economical Insurance Founded in 1871, economical Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurance companies in Canada, providing home, automobile and commercial insurance products to over one million policyholders across Canada. Its head office is located in Waterloo, Ontario, with 17 branches.
- Empire Life The Empire Life Insurance Company (Empire Life) offers a full range of financial products and services - including personal life insurance, critical illness coverage, investment options, group life and health benefits and group RSP plans. Head Office is located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- Federated Insurance Company of Canada Niche insurer specializing in property and casualty insurance for several commercial markets, for example contractors, auto dealers, equipment dealers, restaurants, grocery stores, woodworking, home builders', electricians, plumbers, heating and air conditioning, manufacturing, retail and wholesale, life and group benefits. Subsidiary of Northbridge Financial and member of Fairfax Financial family.
- Gore Mutual Insurance Company
- Great American Insurance Company Niche property casualty insurer specializing in Inland Marine, Property, Employment Practices Liability and other products.
- Green Shield Canada Not-for-profit insurer specializing in individual and group health and dental plans.
- The Guarantee Company of North America Founded in 1872, the first Canadian company to offer fidelity bonds and the largest and oldest Independent Canadian Owned Insurance Company. Offers construction and miscellaneous surety and specialized insurance products (Director's and Officers Liability, Fidelity Insurance and Personal Lines for High Assets individuals.
- The Great-West Life Assurance Company is a life and health insurance company and was founded in 1891 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Great-West Life is currently owned by Great-West Lifeco, which is itself a joint-stock corporation traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX:GWO). Great-West Lifeco also owns the London Life Insurance Company, the Canada Life Assurance Company, and Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company and is the largest insurance provider in Canada. The majority owner of Great-West Lifeco is the Power Corporation of Canada who administer Great-West through the Power Financial Corporation.
- Independent Order of Foresters
- Industrial Alliance
- Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
- Intact Insurance Company of Canada is the largest Property and Casualty insurer in Canada. Purchased AXA's Canadian Business in June 2011
- Knights of Columbus
- Manulife Financial (Manufacturers Life Insurance Company) is a major Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Although its global head office is located in Toronto, Ontario, Manulife has worldwide operations, most notably in the United States (through its subsidiary, John Hancock Insurance) and in 19 unique Asian countries and territories. Manulife Financial is the largest insurance company in Canada, the second largest in North America and the world's fifth largest, based on market capitalization.
- SSQ Financial Group
- Standard Life is a major employer in Edinburgh, with 8,500 UK employees and over 12,000 worldwide. Standard Life plc acts as a holding company for the areas within Standard Life. Since demutualisation, the company structure is quite complex. Standard Life has an excess of seven million customers worldwide, with five million in the UK. Of these, 2.6 million are with profits members of the mutual. In 2015, Manulife Financial acquired the Canadian operations of Standard Life.
- Sun Life Financial is a leading financial services organization in Canada known primarily as a life insurance company. Today, the company manages assets in excess of $350 billion and has more than 13,000 people on its payroll plus thousands of independent agents worldwide.
- TD Insurance is the insurance arm of TD Bank Financial Group. Insurers under this umbrella are TD Home and Auto Insurance Company, Primmum Insurance Company, TD General Insurance Company, Security National Insurance Company and Meloche Monnex Inc.
- The Personal Insurance Company (The Personal) is a property and casualty (P&C) group insurance company that specializes in home insurance and auto insurance (formerly CIBC Insurance).
- Wawanesa Insurance
Consolidation of Former Insurance Carriers
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Aetna Canada Assurance - Purchased by Maritime Life in 1999.
- Canada Life Assurance Company: Now part of Great-West Co.- Purchased in 2003.
- Clarica Life Assurance: Formerly known as Mutual Life Assurance Co. Purchased in 2002 by Sun Life Financial.
- Commercial Union Life Assurance - Purchased by Manulife Financial in 2001.
- Confederation Life Assurance Co. - Receivership in 1995. Canadian business units purchased by Manulife Financial and Maritime Life.
- Crown Life Assurance Co. - Purchased by Canada Life Assurance in 1998.
- Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company, commonly shortened to The Dominion, was acquired by Travelers Canada in November 2013 and had been in operation since 1887. It was founded by Canada's first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald. Not only was it one of Canada's oldest insurance companies, it was also one of the largest. It was the only company legally licensed to use the Canadian coat of arms in its logo and affiliated material. The company had offices across Canada and was headquartered in Toronto.
- Imperial Life - Purchased by Desjardins Group in 1994.
- Laurentian Life - Absorbed by Imperial Life in 1993.
- Liberty Health - Purchased by Maritime Life in 2003.
- London Life Insurance Company - Now part of Great-West Co.- Purchased in 1997.
- Maritime Life - Purchased by Manulife Financial (as part of the John Hancock Insurance acquisition) in 2004.
- Metropolitan Life - Canadian operations purchased in 1998 by Mutual Life (which later became Clarica Life Assurance).
- Mutual of Omaha - Canadian operations purchased by RBC Insurance in 1998
- New York Life - Canadian operations purchased by Canada Life Assurance Company in 1994.
- North American Life - Merged into Manulife Financial in 1995.
- Ontario Blue Cross - Group insurance operations obtained by Liberty Health in 1995.
- Prudential Assurance Co. - Canadian operations purchased in 1996 by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.
- Prudential Insurance Co. of America - Canadian operations purchased by (London Life Insurance Company) in 1995.
- Royal & SunAlliance Ins. Co. - Canadian operations purchased by Maritime Life in 2001.
- UnumProvident - Canadian operations purchased by RBC Insurance in 2004.
- State Farm was purchased by Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company in 2014.
- Westbury Canadian Life - Purchased by RBC Insurance in 2004.
- Zurich Life Insurance of Canada - Canadian group life & health business purchased by Manulife Financial in 2001.