List of Carnegie libraries in Arkansas
The following list of Carnegie libraries in Arkansas provides detailed information on United States Carnegie libraries in Arkansas, where 4 libraries were built from 4 grants (totaling $138,600) awarded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York from 1906 to 1915.
Building still operating as a library
Building standing, but now serving another purpose
Building no longer standing
National Register of Historic Places Building listed on the
|1||Eureka Springs||Eureka Springs||Apr 23, 1906||$15,500||194 Spring St.
||Construction began in 1910, after the building site was donated by R.C. Kerens, prominent investor in the nearby Crescent Hotel. Design for the building was prepared by St. Louis architect George W. Hellmuth. The building was completed in 1912, and originally open only three afternoons a week as the library depended on memberships and contributions for income. By 1920 the Library was open six days a week, and a year later the building was supplied with electrical lighting. This library continues to serve the community.|
|2||Fort Smith||Fort Smith||Mar 24, 1906||$25,000||318 N. 13th St.
||After opening on January 30, 1908, this building was a library until about 1970. Today it houses KFSM-TV, whose production studio is located in an addition to the original structure.|
|3||Little Rock||Little Rock||Mar 24, 1906||$88,100||W. 7th St. and S. Louisiana St.
||Opening on February 1, 1910, this building was razed in 1964.|
|4||Morrilton||Morrilton||Sep 20, 1915||$10,000||101 W. Church St.
||Opened in October 1916, this library continues to serve the community as the Conway County Library.|
- At various times, Bobinski and Jones disagree on these numbers. In these cases, Jones' numbers have been used due to both a more recent publication date and a more detailed gazetteer of branch libraries, which are often where the discrepancies occur.
- "History of the Fort Smith Public Library". Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Herndon, Dallas T Herndon (1922). Centennial History of Arkansas. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co. p. 597. OCLC 11549182.
- "Conway County Library: About". Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Bobinski, George S. (1969). Carnegie Libraries: Their History and Impact on American Public Library Development. Chicago: American Library Association. ISBN 0-8389-0022-4.
- Jones, Theodore (1997). Carnegie Libraries Across America. New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-14422-3.
Note: The above references, while all authoritative, are not entirely mutually consistent. Some details of this list may have been drawn from one of the references (usually Jones) without support from the others. Reader discretion is advised.