List of Carnegie libraries in North Dakota
The following list of Carnegie libraries in North Dakota provides detailed information on United States Carnegie libraries in North Dakota, where 8 public libraries were built from 8 grants (totaling $132,700) awarded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York from 1901 to 1916. In addition, academic libraries were built at 3 institutions (totaling $68,400).
Building still operating as a library
Building standing, but now serving another purpose
Building no longer standing
National Register of Historic Places Building listed on the
historic district on the National Register of Historic Places Building contributes to a
|1||Bismarck||Bismarck||Jan 28, 1916||$25,000||Thayer Ave. and 6th St.
||Opened in July 1918, this library closed in 1963. It was eventually demolished in 1980.|
|2||Devils Lake||Devils Lake||Apr 23, 1908||$12,500||623 4th Ave.
||After opening January 21, 1910, this library operated until November 26, 2003, when a new facility opened. It now houses private businesses.|
|3||Dickinson||Dickinson||Mar 21, 1908||$12,500||139 3rd St., W.
||Opening January 3, 1910, this library has undergone extensive additions and renovations but remains in the same building.|
|4||Fargo||Fargo||Mar 6, 1901||$20,000||625 2nd Ave. N.
||After opening on January 26, 1903, this library served Fargo until 1968. It was razed in 1970.|
|5||Grafton||Grafton||Feb 2, 1903||$10,000||49 W. 7th St.
|6||Grand Forks||Grand Forks||Jul 4, 1901||$22,700|
|7||Minot||Minot||Aug 29, 1908||$15,000||105 2nd Ave., SE
|8||Valley City||Valley City||Jul 5, 1901||$15,000||410 Central Ave. N.
|1||Fargo College||Fargo||Dec 23, 1905||$20,000||Front St. and S. Broadway St.
||The cornerstone for this library was ceremonially laid by former President Theodore Roosevelt on September 5, 1910. Fargo College was closed in 1922, however, and the library was razed in 1964.|
|2||North Dakota Agricultural College||Fargo||Feb 16, 1905||$18,400||1349 12th Ave. NW|
|3||University of North Dakota||Grand Forks||Mar 26, 1906||$30,000||250 Centennial Dr., Grand Forks, ND, USA|
- At various times, Bobinski and Jones disagree on these numbers. In these cases, Jones' numbers have been used due to both a more recent publication date and a more detailed gazetteer of branch libraries, which are often where the discrepancies occur.
- Langemo, Cathy (2002). Bismarck, North Dakota. Chicago: Arcadia. p. 39. ISBN 0-7385-2000-4.
- "Library History". Lake Region Public Library. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "History of the Dickinson Area Public Library". Dickinson Area Public Library. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Engelhardt, Carroll (2007). Gateway to the Northern Plains: Railroads and the Birth of Fargo and Moorhead. Minneapolis: U of M Press. pp. 166–8. ISBN 978-0-8166-4956-3.
- Miller, pp. 38–40
- "Fargo College Library". Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Anderson, Florence (1963). Carnegie Corporation Library Program 1911–1961. New York: Carnegie Corporation. OCLC 1282382.
- Bobinski, George S. (1969). Carnegie Libraries: Their History and Impact on American Public Library Development. Chicago: American Library Association. ISBN 0-8389-0022-4.
- Jones, Theodore (1997). Carnegie Libraries Across America. New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-14422-3.
- Miller, Durand R. (1943). Carnegie Grants for Library Buildings, 1890-1917. New York: Carnegie Corporation of New York. OCLC 2603611.
Note: The above references, while all authoritative, are not entirely mutually consistent. Some details of this list may have been drawn from one of the references without support from the others. Reader discretion is advised.