List of Carolina Panthers seasons
The Carolina Panthers are a professional American football team based in Charlotte, North Carolina. The team was founded in 1993, when, along with the Jacksonville Jaguars, they were accepted into the National Football League (NFL) as an expansion team. The Panthers are owned by Jerry Richardson, the team's founder and a former NFL player.
The Carolina Panthers began play in 1995, and spent their first seven seasons in the NFC West division. In 2002, the Panthers were moved to the NFC South after the NFL realigned their divisions due to the Houston Texans joining the league as an expansion team. Over their 20 seasons in the NFL, the Panthers have played in over 300 games, winning six division titles (one in the NFC West and five in the NFC South) and reaching the NFL playoffs six times. The Panthers have never had back-to-back winning seasons, but recorded their first back-to-back-to-back playoff seasons in 2013 and 2014, becoming the first team in the history of the NFC South to win consecutive division titles in the process. They won a third consecutive division title in 2015, finishing with a league-best 15-1 record and securing homefield advantage in the playoffs for the first time in team history.
The team's worst regular season record was 2001, where they finished 1–15, worst in the league for that season; although they won their first game, they lost each of the remaining 15. Their best regular season record was accomplished in 2015, when they finished 15-1. The team achieved their best playoff performance in 2003, when the team were the NFC Champions and reached Super Bowl XXXVIII, losing 29-32 to the New England Patriots; they also reached Super Bowl 50 at the conclusion of the 2015 season. Overall, the team has recorded 6 winning seasons, 12 losing seasons, and three 8-8 seasons; counting the playoffs, they have an overall record of 175 wins, 176 losses, and 1 tie (.500 winning percentage).
This section is accurate as of the end of the 2015 NFL season.
Note: The Finish, Wins, Losses, and Ties columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play.
|Super Bowl Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Wild Card Berth|
|Carolina Panthers regular season record||166||169||1||.496|
|Carolina Panthers post-season record||9||7||—||.563|
|All-time regular and post-season record||175||176||1||.499|
- Rosenthal, Gregg (December 28, 2014). "Playoff clinching: Carolina Panthers lock up NFC South". NFL.com. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Coach of the Year". NFL – History. CBS Sports. 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- "Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year". NFL – History. CBS Sports. 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- Alder, James (2008). "NFL Comeback Player of the Year". Annual NFL Awards. Associated Press. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- "NFL History: Awards". CBSSports.com. 2008-06-11. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "'NFL Honors' complete list of winners". NFL.com. February 1, 2014. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "Carolina Panthers History". CBS Sports. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- "NFL.com – History – Yearly Standings". NFL.com. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- "Pro Football Hall of Fame–Carolina Panthers". Pro Football Hall of Fame. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- "Carolina Panthers (1995 – )". Databasefootball.com. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- "Carolina Panthers (1995–Present)". Sports E-Cyclopedia. Retrieved January 28, 2008.