List of cathedrals in Australia
This is a list of cathedrals in Australia.
A cathedral church is a Christian place of worship which is the principal or "mother" church of a diocese and is distinguished as such by being the location for the cathedra or bishop's seat. In the strictest sense, only those Christian denominations with an episcopal hierarchy possess cathedrals. However, in common use, the term "cathedral" is often used for notable churches which were formerly part of an episcopal denomination.
It is a common misconception that "cathedral" may be applied to any particularly large or grand church. Whilst many cathedrals may be such, this is due to their ecclesiastical status. Such a church is usually grand because it is a cathedral, rather than it being designated a cathedral because of its grandeur. A cathedral may in fact be a relatively small building, particularly in sparser or poorer communities. Modern cathedrals frequently lack the grandeur of those of former times, having more focus on the functional aspects of a place of worship.
Some cathedrals were purpose-built, whilst others were formerly parochial (parish) churches which were subsequently promoted in status due to ecclesiastical requirements such as periodic diocesan reorganisation.
In this list the cathedrals are presented alphabetically by denomination. A list of former and never completed cathedrals is also included.
The following Anglican cathedrals are located in Australia:
|St James Old Cathedral||Melbourne||Victoria|
|All Souls and St Bartholomew's Cathedral Church||Thursday Island|
|Assyrian Church of the East, Cathedral of St Hurmizd||Greenfield Park||New South Wales|
|Ancient Church of the East, Cathedral of St Zaia||Middleton Grange||New South Wales|
Former and never completed Latin Rite cathedrals
|Holy Name Cathedral||Brisbane||Queensland||never completed|
|Ss Peter & Paul's Old Cathedral||Goulburn||New South Wales|
|Most Holy Trinity||Western Australia||Former abbatial cathedral|
|Corpus Christi Cathedral||St Ives||New South Wales|
|St Mary's Cathedral||Western Australia|
The following Eastern Rite Catholic cathedrals are located in Australia:
|St Maroun's Cathedral||Redfern||New South Wales||Maronite Rite|
|St Michael's Cathedral||Darlington||New South Wales||Melkite Greek|
|St Thomas the Apostle Chaldean Catholic Church||Bossley Park||New South Wales||Chaldean Catholic|
|Ss Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral||North Melbourne||Victoria||Ukrainian Rite|
The following Eastern Orthodox cathedrals are located in Australia:
|St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral||Brisbane||Queensland||Russian Orthodox|
|St George Cathedral||Cabramatta||New South Wales||Serbian Orthodox|
|Cathedral of the Holy Annunciation||Redfern||New South Wales||Greek Orthodox, Patriarchate of Constantinople|
|St George Cathedral||Redfern||New South Wales||Greek Orthodox, Patriarchate of Antioch|
|Ss Peter & Paul Cathedral||Strathfield||New South Wales||Russian Orthodox|
The following Oriental Orthodox cathedrals are located in Australia:
|St Mary & Mina's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral||Bexley||New South Wales|||
|St Thomas Indian Orthodox Cathedral||Sydney||New South Wales|||
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cathedrals in Australia.|
- List of cathedrals in Australia by Giga-Catholic Information
- The Official Directory of the Catholic Church in Australia 2005/2006. published with the authority of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, by the National Council of Priests of Australia, McPherson's Printing Group, Maryborough, Victoria. 1977. ISSN 1321-4764.
- O'Farrell, Patrick (1977). The Catholic Church and Community in Australia. Thomas Nelson (Australia), West Melbourne.
- Anglican Cathedral Church of St Alban the Martyr, Diocese of Riverina official website
- Cathedrals Australia, GCatholic.org website
- St Michael's Cathedral website Archived 2013-04-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Churches – Sydney South : Introduction to Orthodoxy Archived 2013-01-26 at Archive.today
- Parishes: Serbian Orthodox Church, Diocese of Australia and New Zealand official website
- Cathedral of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia website Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine
- Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral of St George, Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines official website
- Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Diocesan Cathedral, Australian and New Zealand Diocese (ROCOR) official website
- St. Mary & St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral Archived 2012-03-24 at the Wayback Machine
- St Thomas Orthodox Cathedral
- Australian cathedrals in Australia on the GCatholic website