List of Celtic F.C. players
Celtic Football Club (//) is a Scottish professional football club based in Parkhead, Glasgow. The club was founded in 1887 and played their first match in May 1888, a friendly match against Rangers. The club played their first competitive match in September 1888, when they entered the first round of the 1888–89 Scottish Cup. Since playing their first competitive match, more than 200 players have made at least 100 appearances (including substitute appearances); those players are listed here. Other players who have made fewer appearances are also included where they are regarded as having played a significant role for the club, with the reason for their inclusion indicated in the Notes column.
Celtic's record appearance-maker is Billy McNeill, who made a total of 790 appearances in major competitions over an 18-year playing career. Alec McNair holds the record at Celtic for most league appearances, and is also the oldest player to have competed for the club. Jimmy McGrory is the club's top goalscorer with 472 goals in major competitions. He is also the record goalscorer in British football, with a total of 550 goals in competitive first class matches. Henrik Larsson has more appearances for Celtic than any other player from outwith the British Isles. He is also the club's third highest goalscorer of all time, behind McGrory and Bobby Lennox, with 242 goals in all competitions. Jimmy Johnstone, part of Celtic's European Cup winning Lisbon Lions team alongside McNeill and Lennox, was voted by Celtic supporters in 2002 as the club's greatest ever player.
James Kelly was the club's first ever captain, playing in the club's inaugural game against Rangers in 1888, He later served as a director and then as Chairman. He effectively founded the Kelly dynasty of directors at Celtic, who by and large controlled the club until 1994. Other club captains also went on to important roles at Celtic after the end of their playing careers, with Jimmy McStay, Jimmy McGrory, Jock Stein, Billy McNeill, Davie Hay and Neil Lennon all going on to manage the side. The current captain is Scott Brown, who has played over 400 games for the club. He is also the Celtic player to have captained the Scotland international team the most times. Paul McStay, who captained Celtic during the 1990s, has won the most caps for Scotland whilst at Celtic with 76 appearances, whilst Pat Bonner of the Republic of Ireland has made the most appearances for his country whilst a Celtic player (80 caps).
Players are listed according to the date they first signed with the club. Appearances and goals are for competitive first-team matches in Scottish League,[note 1] Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup and European Competition only; minor competitions (i.e. the Glasgow Cup) and wartime matches are excluded. Substitute appearances are included.
Appearances correct as of match played 15 February 2018
|*||Player currently contracted at Celtic|
|Kelly, JamesJames Kelly||Scotland||DF||1888–1897||143||4|
|McCallum, NeilNeil McCallum||Scotland||MF||1888–1890
|Maley, WillieWillie Maley||Scotland||DF||1888–1897||100||4|
|Madden, JohnnyJohnny Madden||Scotland||FW||1889–1997||121||49|
|Reynolds, JerryJerry Reynolds||Scotland||DF||1889–1895||102||0|
|Campbell, JohnJohn Campbell||Scotland||FW||1890–1903||221||123|
|Doyle, DanDan Doyle||Scotland||DF||1891–1898||137||6|
|McMahon, SandySandy McMahon||Scotland||FW||1891–1903||217||171|
|McArthur, DanielDaniel McArthur||Scotland||GK||1892–1902||124||0|
|Blessington, JamesJames Blessington||Scotland||FW||1892–1898||102||38|
|Battles, Sr., BarneyBarney Battles, Sr.||Scotland||DF||1895–1897
|Somers, PeterPeter Somers||Scotland||FW||1897–1910||220||62|
|Orr, WillieWillie Orr||Scotland||DF||1897–1907||212||25|
|Loney, WillieWillie Loney||Scotland||DF||1900–1913||303||30|
|Quinn, JimmyJimmy Quinn||Scotland||FW||1900–1917||332||217|
|Hamilton, DavieDavie Hamilton||Scotland||FW||1902–1912||260||61|
|McMenemy, JimmyJimmy McMenemy||Scotland||FW||1902–1920||516||169|
|Adams, DaveyDavey Adams||Scotland||GK||1902–1912||291||0|
|McLeod, DonaldDonald McLeod||Scotland||DF||1902–1908||153||0|
|Young, JamesJames Young||Scotland||MF||1903–1917||443||15|
|Bennett, AlexAlex Bennett||Scotland||FW||1903–1908||151||53|
|Hay, JimmyJimmy Hay||Scotland||DF||1903–1911||257||19|
|McNair, AlecAlec McNair||Scotland||DF||1904–1925||641||8||[note 3]|
|Johnstone, PeterPeter Johnstone||Scotland||DF||1908–1916||233||19|
|Dodds, JoeJoe Dodds||Scotland||DF||1908–1920
|McAtee, AndrewAndrew McAtee||Scotland||FW||1910–1924||439||72|
|Gallacher, PatsyPatsy Gallacher||Ireland||FW||1911–1925||464||195|
|Browning, JohnJohn Browning||Scotland||FW||1911–1919||216||66|
|McStay, WillieWillie McStay||Scotland||DF||1912–1929||446||39|
|McColl, JimmyJimmy McColl||Scotland||FW||1912–1924||169||126|
|Cassidy, JoeJoe Cassidy||Scotland||FW||1912–1924||203||105|
|Shaw, CharlieCharlie Shaw||Scotland||GK||1913–1925||446||0|
|McMaster, JohnJohn McMaster||Scotland||DF||1913–1923||217||6|
|McLean, AdamAdam McLean||Scotland||FW||1917–1928||408||138|
|Cringan, WilliamWilliam Cringan||Scotland||MF||1917–1923||214||9|
|McInally, TommyTommy McInally||Scotland||FW||1919–1922
|Gilchrist, JohnJohn Gilchrist||Scotland||MF||1919–1923||134||6|
|MacFarlane, JohnJohn MacFarlane||Scotland||DF||1920–1929||304||14|
|Connolly, PaddyPaddy Connolly||Scotland||FW||1921–1933||299||47|
|McStay, JimmyJimmy McStay||Scotland||DF||1921–1934||472||8|
|Hilley, HughHugh Hilley||Scotland||DF||1921–1930||207||0|
|McGrory, JamesJames McGrory||Scotland||FW||1922–1937||445||472||[note 4]|
|Thomson, AlecAlec Thomson||Scotland||FW||1922–1934||451||99|
|Wilson, PeterPeter Wilson||Scotland||MF||1923–1934||395||15|
|Shevlin, PeterPeter Shevlin||Scotland||GK||1924–1927||103||0|
|Thomson, JohnJohn Thomson||Scotland||GK||1926–1931||188||0|
|McGonagle, PeterPeter McGonagle||Scotland||DF||1926–1936||324||8|
|Geatons, ChicChic Geatons||Scotland||MF||1927–1941||345||15|
|Napier, CharlieCharlie Napier||Scotland||FW||1928–1935||200||95|
|Scarff, PeterPeter Scarff||Scotland||FW||1928–1933||112||55|
|Hughes, WillieWillie Hughes||Scotland||MF||1929–1936||104||13|
|Morrison, JohnJohn Morrison||Scotland||MF||1929–1941||182||1|
|Thomson, BertieBertie Thomson||Scotland||FW||1929–1933||131||31|
|Cook, BillyBilly Cook||Ireland||DF||1930–1932||109||0|
|Kennaway, JoeJoe Kennaway||Canada||GK||1931–1939||263||0|
|MacDonald, MalkyMalky MacDonald||Scotland||MF||1932–1945||145||37|
|Hogg, BobbyBobby Hogg||Scotland||DF||1932–1948||328||0||[note 5]|
|Crum, JohnnyJohnny Crum||Scotland||FW||1932–1942||210||89|
|Delaney, JimmyJimmy Delaney||Scotland||FW||1933–1946||305||70|
|Grant, StephenStephen Grant||Scotland||FW||1933–1937||123||50|
|Buchan, WillieWillie Buchan||Scotland||FW||1933–1937||134||60|
|Murphy, FrankFrank Murphy||Scotland||FW||1933–1945||161||48|
|Paterson, GeorgeGeorge Paterson||Scotland||DF||1933–1946||195||12|
|Lyon, WillieWillie Lyon||Scotland||DF||1935–1940||163||17|
|Miller, WillieWillie Miller||Scotland||GK||1940–1950||123||0|
|McAuley, PatPat McAuley||Scotland||MF||1940–1950||109||5|
|Milne, RoyRoy Milne||United States||DF||1940–1952||133||0|
|McPhail, JohnJohn McPhail||Scotland||FW||1941–1956||204||87|
|Mallan, JimJim Mallan||Scotland||DF||1942–1953||117||0|
|Evans, BobbyBobby Evans||Scotland||MF||1944–1960||535||10|
|Baillie, JoeJoe Baillie||Scotland||DF||1945–1954||151||1|
|Bonnar, JohnJohn Bonnar||Scotland||GK||1948–1958||180||0|
|Tully, CharlieCharlie Tully||Northern Ireland||FW||1948–1959||319||47|
|Weir, JockJock Weir||Scotland||MF||1948–1952||106||38|
|Haughney, MikeMike Haughney||Scotland||DF||1949–1957||233||46|
|Collins, BobbyBobby Collins||Scotland||MF||1949–1958||320||120|
|Peacock, BertieBertie Peacock||Northern Ireland||MF||1949–1961||453||51|
|Fernie, WillieWillie Fernie||Scotland||MF||1949–1958
|Walsh, JimmyJimmy Walsh||Scotland||DF||1949–1956||145||58|
|Fallon, SeanSean Fallon||Ireland||DF||1950–1958||254||14|
|Stein, JockJock Stein||Scotland||DF||1951–1956||148||2|
|Mochan, NeilNeil Mochan||Scotland||FW||1953–1960||268||107|
|Smith, EricEric Smith||Scotland||MF||1953–1960||130||20|
|Beattie, DickDick Beattie||Scotland||GK||1954–1959||114||0|
|Auld, BertieBertie Auld||Scotland||FW
|MacKay, DuncanDuncan MacKay||Scotland||DF||1955–1964||232||7|
|Kennedy, JimJim Kennedy||Scotland||DF||1955–1965||242||2|
|McPhail, BillyBilly McPhail||Scotland||FW||1956–1958||33||13||[note 6]|
|Wilson, SammySammy Wilson||Scotland||FW||1957–1959||70||46||[note 7]|
|Crerand, PatPat Crerand||Scotland||MF||1957–1963||120||5|
|Carroll, BobbyBobby Carroll||Scotland||FW||1957–1963||78||27||[note 8]|
|Divers, JohnJohn Divers||Scotland||FW||1957–1966||232||103|
|McNeill, BillyBilly McNeill||Scotland||DF||1957–1975||790||34|
|Haffey, FrankFrank Haffey||Scotland||GK||1958–1964||201||0|
|Chalmers, StevieStevie Chalmers||Scotland||FW||1958–1971||405||231|
|Clark, JohnJohn Clark||Scotland||DF||1958–1971||320||3|
|Gallagher, CharlieCharlie Gallagher||Ireland||FW||1958–1968||171||32||[note 9]|
|Murdoch, BobbyBobby Murdoch||Scotland||MF||1959–1973||485||102|
|Fallon, JohnJohn Fallon||Scotland||GK||1959–1971||184||0|
|Hughes, JohnJohn Hughes||Scotland||FW||1960–1971||416||189|
|Lennox, BobbyBobby Lennox||Scotland||FW||1961–1978
|Gemmell, TommyTommy Gemmell||Scotland||DF||1961–1971||421||66|
|Young, IanIan Young||Scotland||DF||1961–1968||137||3|
|Johnstone, JimmyJimmy Johnstone||Scotland||FW||1962–1975||515||130||[note 10]|
|Brogan, JimJim Brogan||Scotland||DF||1962–1975||213||6|
|Simpson, RonnieRonnie Simpson||Scotland||GK||1964–1970||189||0|
|Craig, JimJim Craig||Scotland||DF||1965–1972||231||6|
|McBride, JoeJoe McBride||Scotland||FW||1965–1968||94||87||[note 11]|
|Wallace, WillieWillie Wallace||Scotland||FW||1966–1971||234||135|
|Connelly, GeorgeGeorge Connelly||Scotland||DF/MF||1966–1976||254||13|
|Hood, HarryHarry Hood||Scotland||FW||1968–1976||312||123|
|Callaghan, TommyTommy Callaghan||Scotland||MF||1968–1976||284||33|
|Williams, EvanEvan Williams||Scotland||GK||1969–1974||148||0|
|Hay, DavieDavie Hay||Scotland||MF/DF||1968–1974||230||12|
|Dalglish, KennyKenny Dalglish||Scotland||FW||1969–1977||322||167|
|McCluskey, PatPat McCluskey||Scotland||MF||1969–1977||189||12|
|Wilson, PaulPaul Wilson||Scotland||MF||1970–1978||214||52|
|McGrain, DannyDanny McGrain||Scotland||DF||1970–1987||663||7|
|Macari, LouLou Macari||Scotland||MF||1970–1973||102||56|
|Deans, DixieDixie Deans||Scotland||FW||1971–1976||184||132|
|MacDonald, RoddieRoddie MacDonald||Scotland||DF||1972–1981||254||33|
|Lynch, AndyAndy Lynch||Scotland||DF||1973–1980||187||25|
|Murray, SteveSteve Murray||Scotland||MF||1973–1976||100||21|
|McCluskey, GeorgeGeorge McCluskey||Scotland||FW||1974–1983||204||78|
|Glavin, RonnieRonnie Glavin||Scotland||MF||1974–1979||101||35|
|Eðvaldsson, JóhannesJóhannes Eðvaldsson||Iceland||DF||1975–1980||188||36|
|Latchford, PeterPeter Latchford||England||GK||1975–1987||272||0|
|Burns, TommyTommy Burns||Scotland||MF||1975–1989||501||83|
|Doyle, JohnnyJohnny Doyle||Scotland||FW||1976–1981||179||36|
|Aitken, RoyRoy Aitken||Scotland||DF/MF||1976–1990||672||48||[note 12]|
|Conn, Jr., AlfieAlfie Conn, Jr.||Scotland||MF||1976–1979||37||8||[note 13]|
|McAdam, TomTom McAdam||Scotland||DF||1977–1986||354||48|
|Reid, MarkMark Reid||Scotland||DF||1977–1985||177||12|
|Bonner, PackiePackie Bonner||Ireland||GK||1978–1997||642||0||[note 14]|
|MacLeod, MurdoMurdo MacLeod||Scotland||MF||1978–1987||395||82|
|Provan, DavidDavid Provan||Scotland||FW||1978–1987||303||43|
|Sullivan, DomDom Sullivan||Scotland||MF||1979–1983||113||15|
|Nicholas, CharlieCharlie Nicholas||Scotland||FW||1979–1983
|McGarvey, FrankFrank McGarvey||Scotland||FW||1980–1985||245||113|
|McStay, PaulPaul McStay||Scotland||MF||1981–1997||678||72|
|Grant, PeterPeter Grant||Scotland||MF||1982–1997||470||20|
|McClair, BrianBrian McClair||Scotland||FW||1983–1987||198||122|
|Johnston, MoMo Johnston||Scotland||FW||1984–1987||127||71|
|Whyte, DerekDerek Whyte||Scotland||DF||1985–1992||276||8|
|McGhee, MarkMark McGhee||Scotland||FW||1985–1989||113||34|
|Rogan, AntonAnton Rogan||Northern Ireland||DF||1986–1991||166||5|
|Creaney, GerryGerry Creaney||Scotland||FW||1987–1994||144||53|
|Walker, AndyAndy Walker||Scotland||FW||1987–1992
|Morris, ChrisChris Morris||Ireland||DF||1987–1992||160||8|
|McAvennie, FrankFrank McAvennie||Scotland||FW||1987–1989
|Miller, JoeJoe Miller||Scotland||FW||1987–1993||152||28|
|McNally, MarkMark McNally||Scotland||DF||1987–1995||152||4|
|Coyne, TommyTommy Coyne||Ireland||FW||1989–1993||105||43|
|Elliott, PaulPaul Elliott||England||DF||1989–1991||66||5||[note 15]|
|Dziekanowski, DariuszDariusz Dziekanowski||Poland||FW||1989–1992||49||10||[note 16]|
|Galloway, MikeMike Galloway||Scotland||MF/DF||1989–1996||175||10|
|Wdowczyk, DariuszDariusz Wdowczyk||Poland||DF||1989–1994||147||6|
|Collins, JohnJohn Collins||Scotland||MF||1990–1996||229||48|
|O'Neil, BrianBrian O'Neil||Scotland||DF/MF||1991–1997||121||8|
|Marshall, GordonGordon Marshall||Scotland||GK||1991–1998||112||0|
|Boyd, TomTom Boyd||Scotland||DF||1992–2003||364||2|
|Donnelly, SimonSimon Donnelly||Scotland||FW||1993–1999||181||42|
|O'Donnell, PhilPhil O'Donnell||Scotland||MF||1994–1999||114||20|
|McKinlay, ToshTosh McKinlay||Scotland||DF||1994–1999||124||0|
|van Hooijdonk, PierrePierre van Hooijdonk||Netherlands||FW||1995–1997||84||52||[note 17]|
|Thom, AndreasAndreas Thom||Germany||FW||1995–1998||101||27||[note 18]|
|Wieghorst, MortenMorten Wieghorst||Denmark||MF||1995–2002||105||14|
|McNamara, JackieJackie McNamara||Scotland||DF||1995–2005||358||15|
|Cadete, JorgeJorge Cadete||Portugal||FW||1996–1997||48||38||[note 19]|
|Stubbs, AlanAlan Stubbs||England||DF||1996–2001||127||4|
|Di Canio, PaoloPaolo Di Canio||Italy||FW||1996–1997||37||15||[note 20]|
|Burley, CraigCraig Burley||Scotland||MF||1997–1999||93||26||[note 21]|
|Larsson, HenrikHenrik Larsson||Sweden||FW||1997–2004||315||242|
|Mahé, StéphaneStéphane Mahé||France||DF||1997–2001||109||5|
|Gould, JonathanJonathan Gould||Scotland||GK||1997–2003||158||0|
|Lambert, PaulPaul Lambert||Scotland||MF||1997–2006||275||19|
|Burchill, MarkMark Burchill||Scotland||FW||1998–2001||50||20||[note 22]|
|Mjällby, JohanJohan Mjällby||Sweden||DF||1998–2004||198||15|
|Moravčík, ĽubomírĽubomír Moravčík||Slovakia||MF||1998–2002||129||35|
|Viduka, MarkMark Viduka||Australia||FW||1998–2000||46||35||[note 23]|
|Petrov, StiliyanStiliyan Petrov||Bulgaria||MF||1999–2006||311||64||[note 24]|
|Maloney, ShaunShaun Maloney||Scotland||FW||1999–2007
|Sutton, ChrisChris Sutton||England||FW||2000–2006||199||86||[note 25]|
|Valgaeren, JoosJoos Valgaeren||Belgium||DF||2000–2005||178||10|
|Thompson, AlanAlan Thompson||England||MF||2000–2007||227||51||[note 26]|
|Agathe, DidierDidier Agathe||France||MF/DF||2000–2006||183||11|
|Douglas, RobertRobert Douglas||Scotland||GK||2000–2005||172||0|
|Lennon, NeilNeil Lennon||Northern Ireland||MF||2000–2007||304||3|
|Baldé, DianboboDianbobo Baldé||Guinea||DF||2001–2009||234||16|
|Hartson, JohnJohn Hartson||Wales||FW||2001–2006||201||110|
|McManus, StephenStephen McManus||Scotland||DF||2003–2010||203||20|
|Varga, StanislavStanislav Varga||Slovakia||DF||2003–2006||116||14|
|McGeady, AidenAiden McGeady||Ireland||MF||2004–2010||252||37|
|Boruc, ArturArtur Boruc||Poland||GK||2005–2010||221||0|
|Nakamura, ShunsukeShunsuke Nakamura||Japan||MF||2005–2009||165||33|
|Wilson, MarkMark Wilson||Scotland||DF||2006–2012||131||3|
|Caldwell, GaryGary Caldwell||Scotland||DF||2006–2010||151||6|
|Vennegoor of Hesselink, JanJan Vennegoor of Hesselink||Netherlands||FW||2006–2009||108||44|
|Naylor, LeeLee Naylor||England||DF||2006–2010||142||3|
|Brown, ScottScott Brown*||Scotland||MF||2007–||459||37|
|McDonald, ScottScott McDonald||Australia||FW||2007–2010||127||64|
|Hinkel, AndreasAndreas Hinkel||Germany||DF||2008–2011||103||1|
|Samaras, GeorgiosGeorgios Samaras||Greece||FW||2008–2014||248||74|
|Forrest, JamesJames Forrest*||Scotland||FW||2010–||277||54|
|Mulgrew, CharlieCharlie Mulgrew||Scotland||DF/MF||2010–2016||208||29|
|Forster, FraserFraser Forster||England||GK||2010–2014||197||0|
|Ledley, JoeJoe Ledley||Wales||MF||2010–2014||157||30|
|Kayal, BeramBeram Kayal||Israel||MF||2010–2015||132||3|
|Hooper, GaryGary Hooper||England||FW||2010–2014||138||82|
|Stokes, AnthonyAnthony Stokes||Ireland||FW||2010–2016||192||77|
|Izaguirre, EmilioEmilio Izaguirre||Honduras||DF||2010–2017||252||5|
|Commons, KrisKris Commons||Scotland||MF||2011–2017||227||91|
|Matthews, AdamAdam Matthews||Wales||DF||2011–2015||148||5|
|Wanyama, VictorVictor Wanyama||Kenya||MF||2011–2013||91||13||[note 27]|
|Lustig, MikaelMikael Lustig*||Sweden||DF||2011–||223||19|
|Ambrose, EfeEfe Ambrose||Nigeria||DF||2012–2017||169||6|
|Rogic, TomTom Rogic*||Australia||MF||2013–||118||26||[note 28]|
|van Dijk, VirgilVirgil van Dijk||Netherlands||DF||2013–2015||114||15|
|Bitton, NirNir Bitton*||Israel||MF||2013–||171||11|
|McGregor, CallumCallum McGregor*||Scotland||MF||2013–||150||26|
|Johansen, StefanStefan Johansen||Norway||MF||2014–2016||114||19||[note 29]|
|Griffiths, LeighLeigh Griffiths*||Scotland||FW||2014–||175||97|
|Gordon, CraigCraig Gordon*||Scotland||GK||2014–||199||0|
|Tierney, KieranKieran Tierney*||Scotland||DF||2014–||118||6|
|Armstrong, StuartStuart Armstrong*||Scotland||MF||2015–||137||27|
|Sinclair, ScottScott Sinclair*||England||FW||2016–||90||42||[note 30]|
|Name||Nationality||From - To||Scottish
|Kelly, JamesJames Kelly||Scotland||1888–1897||3||1||-||-||4|
|Doyle, DanDan Doyle||Scotland||1897–1899||1||1||-||-||2|
|McMahon, SandySandy McMahon||Scotland||1899–1903||0||1||-||-||1|
|Orr, WillieWillie Orr||Scotland||1903–1906||2||1||-||-||3|
|Hay, JimmyJimmy Hay||Scotland||1906–1911||4||3||-||-||7|
|Young, JimJim Young||Scotland||1911–1917||4||2||-||-||6|
|McNair, AlecAlec McNair||Scotland||1917–1920||1||0||-||-||1|
|Cringan, WillieWillie Cringan||Scotland||1920–1923||1||1||-||-||2|
|Shaw, CharlieCharlie Shaw||Scotland||1923–1925||0||1||-||-||1|
|McStay, WillieWillie McStay||Scotland||1925–1929||1||1||-||-||2|
|McStay, JimmyJimmy McStay||Scotland||1929–1934||0||2||-||-||2|
|Hogg, BobbyBobby Hogg||Scotland||1934–1935||0||0||-||-||0|
|Lyon, WillieWillie Lyon||Scotland||1935–1939||2||1||-||-||3|
|McPhail, JohnJohn McPhail||Scotland||1948–1952||0||1||0||-||1|
|Fallon, SeanSean Fallon||Ireland||1952–1953||0||0||0||-||0|
|Stein, JockJock Stein||Scotland||1953–1955||1||1||0||-||2|
|Evans, BobbyBobby Evans||Scotland||1955–1957||0||0||1||0||1|
|Peacock, BertieBertie Peacock||Northern Ireland||1957–1961||0||0||1||0||1|
|Mackay, DuncanDuncan Mackay||Scotland||1961–1963||0||0||0||0||0|
|McNeill, BillyBilly McNeill||Scotland||1963–1975||9||7||6||1||23|
|Dalglish, KennyKenny Dalglish||Scotland||1975–1977||1||1||0||0||2|
|McGrain, DannyDanny McGrain||Scotland||1977–1987||4||2||1||0||7|
|Aitken, RoyRoy Aitken||Scotland||1987–1990||1||2||0||0||3|
|McStay, PaulPaul McStay||Scotland||1990–1997||0||1||0||0||1|
|Boyd, TomTom Boyd||Scotland||1997–2002||3||1||3||0||7|
|Lambert, PaulPaul Lambert||Scotland||2002–2004||1||1||0||0||2|
|McNamara, JackieJackie McNamara||Scotland||2004–2005||0||1||0||0||1|
|Lennon, NeilNeil Lennon||Northern Ireland||2005–2007||2||1||1||0||4|
|McManus, StephenStephen McManus||Scotland||2007–2010||1||0||1||0||2|
|Brown, ScottScott Brown||Scotland||2010–||6||3||3||0||12|
Citations/ sources for each note are included in the "Notable players" section above:
- FitbaStats lists the 1905 league play-off outwith League statistics. This match has been added to the appearance and goal statistics in this list for the players who took part.
- Neil McCallum scored Celtic's first ever goal, opening the scoring in their 5–2 friendly win over Rangers in May 1888.
- Alec McNair has made the most appearances for Celtic in the league, playing in 583 games. He is also the oldest player to have ever played for the club, playing against Queens Park in 1925 at the age of 41.
- Jimmy McGrory is the club's top goalscorer with 472 goals in major competitions. He is also the record goalscorer in British football, with a total of 550 goals in competitive first class matches.
- Bobby Hogg is noted for making a total of 575 appearances for Celtic, but a large number of these games were unofficial league and cup fixtures during World War II.
- Billy McPhail scored a hat-trick in Celtic's 7–1 win over Rangers in the 1957 Scottish League Cup Final.
- Sammy Wilson scored the opening goal in Celtic's 7–1 Scottish League Cup Final win over Rangers in 1957.
- Bobby Carroll is Celtic's first ever goal-scorer in official European competition, scoring twice in a 4–2 defeat away against Valencia in 1962.
- In 1967 Charlie Gallagher became the first Scottish-born footballer to be capped by the Republic of Ireland.
- In 2002, Jimmy Johnstone was one of 11 players voted by Celtic supporters as being the "greatest" Celtic team. Johnstone was also voted Celtic's greatest-ever player.
- During season 1966–67, Joe McBride scored 36 goals before Christmas. He was then injured in a game against Aberdeen and did not play again that season. Despite this, he still finished as the top goalscorer in Scotland that season in all competitions (Stevie Chalmers eventually finished the season with more league goals). McBride also has the third best goalscoring average for a player at the club with more than 10 appearances (0.92 goals per game; 89 goals in 97 games, including minor competitions).
- Roy Aitken made 672 appearances for Celtic in major competitions during his 14 years at Celtic Park. He also captained the club to a league and cup double in their centenary year of 1988.
- Alfie Conn became the first post-war footballer to play for both Rangers and Celtic. He was also the first player to ever win Scottish Cup medals with both Old Firm clubs.
- Pat Bonner has made the most appearances of any goalkeeper for Celtic. He is also the player to have won the most caps playing for his country (80, Republic of Ireland) whilst at Celtic.
- Paul Elliott was voted Scottish PFA Player of the Year in 1991.
- Dariusz Dziekanowski is Celtic's record goalscorer in a single European match, scoring four goals in a 5–4 win over Partizan Belgrade in 1989.
- Pierre van Hooijdonk scored Celtic's goal in their 1–0 1995 Scottish Cup Final win over Airdrie, the club's first trophy in six years. He was also the top goalscorer in Scotland the following season, 1995–96.
- Andreas Thom's £2.2 million transfer fee in July 1995 made him Celtic's record signing at the time.
- Jorge Cadete was the top goal-scorer in Scotland for season 1996–97.
- Paolo Di Canio was voted PFA Scotland Player of the Year in 1997.
- Craig Burley was voted Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year in 1998.
- Mark Burchill scored the fastest ever hat-trick in European competition on 24 August 2000 in a 7–0 win over Jeunesse d'Esch in a UEFA Cup qualifying round tie.
- Mark Viduka was voted PFA Scotland Player of the Year in 2000.
- In 2001, Stiliyan Petrov became the first foreign winner of the SPFA Young Player of the Year award.
- In the summer of 2000 Chris Sutton became Celtic's record signing, with a transfer fee of £6 million paid to Chelsea.
- In 2004 Alan Thompson became the first footballer to be capped by England whilst contracted at Celtic.
- Victor Wanyama is a Scottish record transfer sale, having been sold to Southampton in July 2013 for £12.5 million.
- Tom Rogic scored the winning goal in Celtic's 2–1 win over Aberdeen in the 2017 Scottish Cup Final, securing the club's fourth domestic treble.
- Stefan Johansen was voted PFA Scotland Player of the Year in 2015.
- Scott Sinclair was voted PFA Scotland Player of the Year in 2017.
- "Brief History". Celtic FC. Archived from the original on 10 May 2016. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- Cuddihy, Paul; Friel, David (2010). The Century Bhoys: The Official History of Celtic's Greatest Goalscorers. Black & White Publishing. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- McCarra, Kevin (2012). "4 - Bob Kelly". Celtic:A Biography in Nine Lives. Faber & Faber. ISBN 978-0-571-23435-6. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Campbell, Tom; Woods, Pat (1987). The Glory & The Dream. Grafton Books. p. 344. ISBN 0-586-20005-3.
- Cairney, John (1998). A Scottish Football Hall of Fame. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84018-044-2. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Cuddihy, Paul (6 June 2014). "Ronny Deila is Celtic's No.17". Celtic FC. Archived from the original on 2 October 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Campbell, Tom; Woods, Pat (1992). A Celtic A-Z. Greenfield Press. ISBN 978-0-9519501-0-4.
- "Lennon the way forward for Celtic". UEFA. 9 June 2010. Archived from the original on 2 January 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Scott Brown's 400th Celtic game: Captain 'could go down as true club great'". BBC Sport. 25 January 2017. Archived from the original on 25 January 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- McConnell, Alison (28 March 2017). "Hoops skipper Scott Brown the Celtic player to have captained his country the most times". Evening Time. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- McGuirk, Brian (April 2009). Celtic FC - the Ireland Connection. Black and White Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84502-248-8. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "2-1 Vs Rangers in Division One (old) Play-Offs (06/05/1905)". FitbaStats. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Celtic – player list A-Z". FitbaStats. Archived from the original on 1 February 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2017. Appearances and goals are taken from the statistics compiled by the FitbaStats website Archived 16 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine.. However, FibaStats statistics include minor competitions (ie the Glasgow Cup) and the unofficial wartime league and cup competitions that took place during World War II. These matches have been removed from the statistics listed in this article. FitbaStats also lists appearances in European competitions other than the UEFA Champions League post 1992 as "other" (alongside the minor and unofficial competitions), including the European Cup pre-1992. Efforts have been made to accurately extrapolate these matches to include them in the details included here, but minor errors may have been made.
- "The men who kicked it all off for the Celts". Celtic FC. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- McCall, Chris (4 November 2015). "Scottish football's record appearance holders". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Player Age Records". FitbaStats. Archived from the original on 29 August 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Warfield, Derek; Daly, Raymond (2008). Celtic & Ireland in Song and Story. Studio Print. ISBN 978-1-62095-764-6. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Hogg, Robert". FitbaStats. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Billy McPhail". The Scotsman. 7 April 2003. Archived from the original on 18 April 2017. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Sullivan, Joe (10 November 2014). "7–1 Goal hero, Sammy Wilson, passes away". Celtic FC. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Football Memories – Celtic's first ever European tie". Sunday Post. 9 December 2013. Archived from the original on 13 August 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Dunphy, Shay. "The story of Shay Brennan and Charlie Gallagher". Eire Guide. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Jinky best-ever Celtic player". BBC Sport. 9 September 2002. Archived from the original on 23 September 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Hannan, Martin (2010). Hail! Hail!: Classic Celtic Old Firm Clashes. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-633-1. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Scottish Football League & Scottish Premier League – Top goalscorers per division". Scottish Football Historical Archive. Archived from the original on 27 September 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Alltime Player Records". FitbaStats. Archived from the original on 1 February 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Aitken senses appetite for battle". The Express. 10 November 2007. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- McLeod, Keith (30 January 2008). "Alfie Still Delivers In The Box". Daily Record. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Gordon, Alex (2013). Celtic: The Awakening: From East End Misfits to European Masters. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78057-635-0.
- McGuirk, Brian (April 2009). Celtic FC – the Ireland Connection. Black and White Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84502-248-8. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Celtic in all time records". Soccerbase. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Meet our latest Weekend Wonder: Paul Elliott". Weekend Wonders (FourFourTwo). Archived from the original on 14 June 2015. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "NOW YOU KNOW: Jackie's four-goal spree not enough for Celtic". Evening Times. 29 November 2012. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Parks, Gordon (24 May 2013). "People think Three Amigos made Celtic great but it wasn't us it was Tommy Burns, says Pierre Van Hooijdonk". Daily Record. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Hodgson, Guy (29 July 1995). "Celtic break club record to sign Thom". The Independent. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Drayton, John (26 May 2014). "Paolo Di Canio interested in Celtic job as former Sunderland boss eyes return to management". Mail Online. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Brown, Alan. "Scotland – Player of the Year". The Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Brown worried by Old Firm game". The Independent. 25 August 2000. Archived from the original on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Factfile: Mark Viduka". The Telegraph. 8 July 2004. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Brennan, Eoin (9 May 2013). "Petrov announces retirement from football". Newstalk. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Celtic's Sutton bid accepted". BBC Sport. 19 June 2000. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Celtic new boys off to winning start". BBC Sport. 30 July 2000. Archived from the original on 25 December 2002. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Nash, Matthew (5 October 2013). "Who are Glasgow Celtic's England internationals?". HITC Sport. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Wright, Angus (12 July 2013). "Victor Wanyama seals Southampton move from Celtic". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 14 July 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- English, Tom (27 May 2017). "Celtic 2-1 Aberdeen". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Celtic's Stefan Johansen named PFA Scotland Player of the Year". The Scotsman. 4 May 2015. Archived from the original on 26 January 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- McConnell, Allison (8 May 2015). "Celtic dominate PFA awards with Brendan Rodgers, Scott Sinclair, Kieran Tierney and Moussa Dembele recognised". Evening Times. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Kujawa, Krys. From Seville To Sevilla: The Story of Celtic's 2003/04 Season. Lulu. ISBN 978-1-4717-2987-4. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- Kujawa, Krys. From Seville To Sevilla: The Story of Celtic's 2003/04 Season. Lulu. ISBN 978-1-4717-2987-4. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- "Celtic 2 - 0 Motherwell". BBC Sport. 8 August 2004. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Johnstone, Darren (9 June 2016). "A look back at the career of Neil Lennon after former Celtic manager and captain is appointed Hibs head coach". Deadline News. Archived from the original on 3 February 2017. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "McManus named new Celtic captain". BBC Sport. 31 July 2007. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Scott Brown brimming with enthusiasm for another season as Celtic captain". The Scotsman. 28 June 2010. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- A full list of former Celtic players can be found at: Celtic – FitbaStats – Player List
- More detailed biographies on players can be found at: The Celtic Wiki: All time A to Z of Celtic players