List of Chennai Corporation zones
The city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India, is managed by the Corporation of Chennai. Established as Madras Corporation in 1688, it is the oldest municipal body in India. It is headed by a mayor, who presides over 200 councillors each of whom represents a ward. As of 2012[update] the mayor of Chennai is Saidai Sa. Duraisamy.
Prior to its expansion in mid-2011, the city occupied an area of 174 km2 (67 sq mi); its merger with 42 local bodies at that time more than doubled its extent, resulting in a combined area of 426 km2 (164 sq mi). Chennai Corporation absorbed seven municipalities, three town panchayats and 13 panchayat unions in Tiruvallur district and two municipalities, five town panchayats and 12 panchayat unions in Kanchipuram district. A total of nine municipalities merged into the city: Alandur, Ambattur, Kattivakkam, Madhavaram, Maduravoyal, Manali, Tiruvottiyur, Ullagaram-Puzhuthivakkam and Valasaravakkam. A total of eight town panchayats merged into the city: Chinnasekkadu, Puzhal, Porur, Nandambakkam, Meenambakkam, Perungudi, Pallikaranai, Sholinganallur. A total of twenty five village panchayats merged into the city: Edayanchavadi, Sadayankuppam, Kadapakkam, Theeyampakkam, Mathur, Vadaperumbakkam, Surapet, Kathirvedu, Puthagaram, Nolambur, Karambakkam, Nerkundram, Ramapuram, Mugalivakkam, Manapakkam, Kottivakkam, Palavakkam, Neelankarai, Injambakkam, Karapakkam, Okkiyam-Thuraipakkam, Madipakkam, Jaladampet, Semmencherry, Uthandi.
The expanded city contains 4.41 million voters and was re-organised into 15 zones consisting of 200 wards. The newly annexed areas were divided into 93 wards, and the remaining 107 wards were created out of the original 155 within the old city limits. As of September 2011[update], the new wards are yet to be named. Out of the 200 wards, 26 were reserved for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes and 58 were reserved for women.
Constituencies outside Chennai city
Municipalities outside Chennai
- "Corporation of Chennai - List of wards and Zones". Chennai Corporation. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Newly formed zones" (PDF). Chennai Corporation. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Achuthan, Kamal (23 September 2008). "Chennai Corporation to celebrate 320 years". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Committee, Madras Tercentenary Celebration (1994). The Madras Tercentenary Commemoration Volume. Asian Educational Services. p. 192. ISBN 978-81-206-0537-4. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Aggarwal, Anjana. Comprehensive Reading & Writing in English XII. Firewall Media. p. 114. ISBN 978-81-7008-734-2. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "More areas to come under Chennai Corporation". The Hindu. 30 December 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Ramakrishnan, Deepa H (20 September 2011). "Details of merged wards online soon". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "சென்னை மாநகராட்சி எல்லைகள் விஸ்தரிப்பு- 200 வார்டுகளுடன் மெகா மாநகராட்சியானது". OneIndia.in. Retrieved 31 August 2012.