List of current Indian chief ministers
In the Republic of India, a chief minister is the head of government of each of twenty-nine states and two union territories (Delhi and Puducherry). According to the Constitution of India, at the state-level, the governor is de jure head, but de facto executive authority rests with the chief minister. Following elections to the state legislative assembly, the governor usually invites the party (or coalition) with a majority of seats to form the government. The governor appoints the chief minister, whose council of ministers are collectively responsible to the assembly. Given he has the assembly's confidence, the chief minister's term is usually for a maximum of five years; there are no limits to the number of terms he/she can serve.
Of the thirty-one incumbents, three are women—Mamata Banerjee in West Bengal, Mehbooba Mufti in Jammu and Kashmir, and Vasundhara Raje in Rajasthan. Serving since December 1994 (for 22 years, 104 days), Sikkim's Pawan Kumar Chamling has the longest incumbency. Virbhadra Singh (b. 1934) of Himachal Pradesh is the oldest chief minister, while Arunachal Pradesh's Pema Khandu (b. 1979) is the youngest. Thirteen incumbents belong to the Bharatiya Janata Party, six to the Indian National Congress and two to the Communist Party of India (Marxist); no other party has more than one chief minister in office.
Current Indian chief ministers
|Colour key for parties|
- This column names only the chief minister's party. The ministry he heads may be a complex coalition of several parties and independents; those are not listed here.
- Although Delhi and Puducherry each have an elected legislature and a council of ministers (headed by the chief minister), they are officially union territories.
- List of current Indian governors
- List of current Indian legislative speakers
- List of current Indian leaders of the Opposition
- List of female Indian chief ministers
- List of chief ministers from the Bharatiya Janata Party
- List of chief ministers from Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. 1960. 20th edition, 2011 reprint. pp. 241, 245. LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa Nagpur. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9.
- Ajoy Ashirwad Mahaprashasta. "Bucking the trend". Frontline. Volume 29, issue 6, 24 March – 6 April 2012.
- "Meet Pema Khandu: India’s youngest Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 July 2016.
- Chief Ministers. India.gov.in. Retrieved on 3 September 2015.
- "Naidu takes oath as Andhra Pradesh CM". The Hindu. 8 June 2014.
- "Pema Khandu sworn in as Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh". The Hindu. 17 July 2016.
- "BJP forms govt in Arunachal Pradesh". The Hindu. 31 December 2016.
- "Sarbananda Sonowal sworn in as first BJP CM of Assam". The Hindu. 24 May 2016.
- "Nitish returns as Bihar Chief Minister". The Hindu. 22 February 2015.
- Aarti Dhar. "Raman Singh takes oath". The Hindu. 8 December 2003.
- Smriti Kak Ramachandran, Shubhomoy Sikdar. "Kejriwal promises to make Delhi graft-free in 5 years". The Hindu. 14 February 2015.
- Nistula Hebbar, Prakash Kamat. "Parrikar takes oath in Goa as SC declines Cong. plea". The Hindu. 14 March 2017.
- Mahesh Langa. "Vijay Rupani sworn in; Gujarat Cabinet bears Shah’s stamp". The Hindu. 7 August 2016.
- Sarabjit Pandher. "Khattar sworn in". The Hindu. 26 October 2014.
- "Virbhadra Singh sworn in as CM". The Hindu. 26 December 2012.
- "Mehbooba Mufti sworn in as J&K's first woman CM". The Hindu. 4 April 2016.
- Amarnath Tewary. "Raghuvar Das assumes office as CM". The Hindu. 28 December 2014.
- "Siddaramaiah sworn in as Chief Minister of Karnataka". The Hindu. 13 May 2013.
- C. Gouridasan Nair. "Pinarayi takes charge as Kerala Chief Minister". The Hindu. 25 May 2016.
- "Shivraj Chauhan sworn in Chief Minister". The Hindu. 30 November 2005.
- Priyanka Kakodkar. "Uddhav attends Fadnavis swearing-in". The Hindu. 31 October 2014.
- Isha Gupta. "BJP leader Biren Singh sworn in as Manipur Chief Minister". India Today. 15 March 2017.
- "Mukul Sangma sworn in as Chief Minister". The Hindu. 21 April 2010.
- "Lal Thanhawla sworn in as Mizoram chief minister". The Times of India. 11 December 2008.
- "Shurhozelie Liezietsu sworn in as Nagaland Chief Minister". The Hindu. 22 February 2017.
- N. Ramdas. "Naveen Govt. installed". The Hindu. 6 March 2000.
- "Puducherry: V Narayanasamy sworn in as Chief Minister". The Indian Express. 6 June 2016.
- "Amarinder Singh sworn in as Punjab CM". The Hindu. 17 March 2017.
- "Vasundhara swearing-in, a show of strength". The Hindu. 13 December 2013.
- "Pawan Chamling to be longest serving Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 May 2014.
- T. Ramakrishnan. "Edappadi Palaniswami sworn in as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister". The Hindu. 17 February 2017.
- K. Srinivas Reddy. "KCR sworn in; heads cabinet of 11 ministers". The Hindu. 2 June 2014.
- "Manik Sarkar sworn in as Tripura CM". Rediff.com. 11 March 1998.
- "Yogi Adityanath takes oath as Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister". The Hindu. 19 March 2017.
- Kavita Upadhyay. "Trivendra Singh Rawat takes oath as Uttarakhand Chief Minister". The Hindu. 18 March 2017.
- "Mamata, 37 Ministers sworn in". The Hindu. 21 May 2011.